Link to DNR Survey For Public Input on Early Catch and Release Bass Season

• gonefishin

This year I was accepted as a new member of the DNR Bass Work Group and during the March meeting, the DNR presented data to show that in their view point, there is science to prove that there would be no negative impact on bass populations to have an early catch and release season. Within the DNR this is pretty much an accepted proposal with the last hurdle to get public opinion. Here is the link to the online survey. For those of you interested, please complete the survey and pass along to others. MN is the last state to have a closed bass season.

https://engage.dnr.state.mn.us/fisheries-public-input-wildlife-public-input

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tell them when I take a survey I don’t want to have to register or log in

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Same.

I posted the exact same thing in the other thread on this topic. The other questionnaire beneath it doesn’t require a login, but this one does – so I’ll pass. It’s a great way to restrict feedback if that’s their goal.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Agree with Bearcat. I’m interested in filling out the survey but not motivated enough by it to register or log in.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

It is getting to the point of having to have one for everything. I had to make one to order AC machine parts for the shop the other day on Century Tools website. Hard pass for me too.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Same here. I’d love to take the survey – Don’t see why necessary to register to do so. Like others said. Just another way to limit the publics response. Typical DNR ( Do Nothing Right )

Deuces

I’m 1000x times on hating to register.

BUT….

This is the dnr, not some sweepstakes who’s gonna resell your info and contribute to crap spam. None of you make camping reservations or what? It’s getting easier and easier to manipulate surveys, having to register makes it a bit tougher and allows more accurate results.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Keeps the Bass Haters out. So I’ve been told.

Seems like if you want to see bass fishing year round, a person would talk a couple minutes to register.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Keeps the Bass Haters out. So I’ve been told.

Seems like if you want to see bass fishing year round, a person would talk a couple minutes to register.

Not to mention they have all your info already….. coffee

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Open it all up for any species year round. I’m all for it and will support it any way I can. I might have to create a login if there’s a spot to open up all species in the survey.

The less traffic on the river here, the better.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Not even going to click on the link now.

10klakes

Man, tough crowd.

All they want is your email… With out some sort of verification, someone could easily fil out the survey 50 times in favor of it passing, or against it and roadblock it. With all the bots and crap it makes sense.

Sounds like the last step is public opinion. The DNR must have majority in favor for it to have a chance. Don’t be the reason it doesn’t change, we are the only state left were bass closes.

With that said, I filled it out in support!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The Mille Lacs crowd would say the DNR doesn’t care about public opinion.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The Mississippi River crowd would disagree.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

People here talk about having to log in on this site but keep coming back, every single day. The one time the DNR would like some sort of verification to have an accurate survey that can literally improve fishing regs is a step too far.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

People here talk about having to log in on this site but keep coming back, every single day. The one time the DNR would like some sort of verification to have an accurate survey that can literally improve fishing regs is a step too far.

I have no interest in making a account and logging in to the dnr survey when the other survey requires 0 log in. My opinion is no good any ways.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Ah, the ole harass them on their beds approach. No harm whatsoever.
    I kid. I have no idea how much that impacts them. Seems like it would at least some?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ah, the ole harass them on their beds approach. No harm whatsoever.
    I kid. I have no idea how much that impacts them. Seems like it would at least some?

The closed bass season really has no bearing on bass themselves. Most bass do not spawn when the season is closed. They usually spawn in late May and into June when the season is already open.

The closed bass season is there to protect bass anglers from accidentally catching the sacred walleye. That’s why they’ve been so resistant to this for so long. They don’t want anyone “bass fishing for walleyes.”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Well, I was going to go back to the survey to copy and paste the DNR’s reasoning for this. To me, when I read it, I thought they were leaning toward a catch and release pre season.

Suzuki, they covered off on your (and my) concern about fishing off the beds.

On another note, there is another survey, “Fisheries Regulations Book and Seasons Questionnaire” that talks about eliminating the regulation book, if the fishing laws are too confusing and changing the opening dates for Muskies, trout and another species.

Ignore at your own risk.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

“The closed bass season is there to protect bass anglers from accidentally catching the sacred walleye.”

jester

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Why do I need to log in to provide my opinion for one survey….but then literally right next to it there is another survey asking for my opinion on seasons and I do NOT need to log in?

If verification and validity is an issue, why do they pick and choose when it matters? coffee

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Now people wanting to Chase walleye before season will be able to do so all under the I’m catch and release fishing for bass. This is no different from the current situation where Bass fishermen start fishing two weeks prior to the season opener date and do so by saying ” I’m not bass fishing, I’m fishing for Pike or Walleyes

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Without really caring what a bass season looks like or most inland regulations, I do feel for the COs who have to somehow enforce both the confusing regulations and ones like this situation where the difference between targeting C & R bass or closed walleyes is vague at best.

basseyes

Have fished walleye openers with the boat absolutely so covered in fish jizz it was gross on inland waters. Get the protect argument, but don’t think it’s as based in science or data more than a feel good protectionism mindset. Yes, pressure affects fish. But so do swamped busy opening weeks.

Look at the walleye population on the Mississippi River. A lot of good intentions on trying to be cautious and protect the system, but the science is there that the system can handle the pressure. And yeah there’s a ton of pressure up by the dams, there’s a lot of real estate that goes untouched for walleyes to spawn in unmolested, incredible food sources and growth rates.

Fish populations are more affected by spawning conditions and good spawning habitat than fishing pressure in most cases. And just because fishing isn’t good, doesn’t always indicate a poor fishery. It could just be fish have ample food and cover, that mutes anglers abilities or tactics to effectively catch them.

All for good science based conservation where feelings are left out of regulatory decisions. But we all know all to well that feelings, socially acceptable practices and the general public perceptions are more of a driving force of regulations and creating them than science.

If we are really so worried about spawning fish, why don’t we close down fishing for crappies and bluegills in their spawn? Panfish populations are hammered year after year in the heart of their spawn. Yes, it greatly affects them. But there’s zero outcry, other than a few heavily pressured areas typically around high urban areas. And still enough filter through the angler pressure to spawn and keep their populations rolling along. Yes, the pressure does decimate some populations. But eventually the bite dies off and the cycle of finding the hot bite moves the pressure to another body of water. Wash, rinse, repeat.

And yeah, logging in is dumb.

fishdale

Now people wanting to Chase walleye This is no different from the current situation where Bass fishermen start fishing two weeks prior to the season opener date and do so by saying ” I’m not bass fishing, I’m fishing for Pike or Walleyes

They changed that a few years ago you can now catch and release fish for bass starting at walleye opener

MN DNR Fisheries – Lake City
    Lake CIty, MN

The registration was simply a way to prevent duplicate entries via e-mail verification, but was quickly recognized as a hindrance to easily being able to provide information.

The folks managing the survey changed the requirement today and it no longer requires registration to submit your input.

https://engage.dnr.state.mn.us/fisheries-public-input-wildlife-public-input/survey_tools/proposed-bass-catch-and-release-season

Nick

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If we are really so worried about spawning fish, why don’t we close down fishing for crappies and bluegills in their spawn? Panfish populations are hammered year after year in the heart of their spawn. Yes, it greatly affects them. But there’s zero outcry, other than a few heavily pressured areas typically around high urban areas.

I’d be fine with a C & R season only for panfish in the spring time. Mine are released anyways. Comparing bass to walleyes to panfish is really not a good way to do it. Most bass are targeted for catch and release voluntarily whereas most walleyes and panfish are not. Also, bass and panfish are not stocked. We rely solely on their natural reproduction to replenish their populations, whereas walleyes are stocked in hundreds of lakes. The other factor too with bass compared to those other harvested species is that there is winter pressure. Bass have minimal winter pressure. Panfish especially take a beating in the winter time.

If bass season never closes (for C & R) all year round here, I do agree that there is going to be anglers trying to abuse the system. There are certainly some cross over methods for targeting bass and other species. I use a jerk bait in the spring time for bass and catch walleyes. I could see a CO seeing that as “bass fishing for walleyes.”

BigWerm
    SW Metro

IMO Catch and Release for any species has little to no impact, especially in the spring when the water is cold and the fish are typically caught shallow (two big factors used in the BS hooking mortality myth).

DNR log in is required for a bunch of stuff, most probably already have one setup, and if not it’s not a bad idea to set one up. Really shouldn’t have been a hindrance if you were legitimately interested in completing the survey.

More important, imo, is completing the other regulation survey and let the DNR know that we don’t need regulations longer than the Iliad.

basseyes

How do you setup a catch and release season for panfish in mn when it’s such a drastically different beast north to south temperature wise? More specific regulations with really no teeth? Regulation booklet is already to long. Especially when there are tons of lakes that receive little to no pressure compared to the top 10. Panfish populations and more regs aren’t going to do much other than clog up an over regulated state. If catch and release has no effect on the population of bass and panfish, why not have seasons run continously and have c&r only for walleyes? Which I’m all for a continous season in mn, plus 2 lines. Put limits in place for specific bodies of water and hire more co’s. There are a lot of people, and have been for years, that double dip limits. Especially lake home owners on opener or non residents.

Up enforcement and risk of getting caught, raise nonresident fishing license fees, increase funds and efforts to protect spawning habitat for all fish. Habitat and weather play way more of a role in spawning success or lack there of than anglers. And yes, anglers do have an effect. To much wasted funds and time worrying about surface clutter within regulations and such. Constantly limiting angler opportunities and more and more regulations isn’t going to fix anything. Pretty soon we’ll be able to ice fish and fish the last 2 weeks of June for fear of fishing in the spawn or the heat of July and August when hooking mortality spikes. While we are at it get rid of live bait, talk to minnow/leech trappers, the reg’s are redonkulous, go to barbless hooks, no lead, etc. Might as well just ban the sport because it’s cruel in general to set a sharp hook in a poor defenseless fishes mouth just for fun. Then pat yourself on the back for releasing it, which I’m fully guilty of. There are a lot of the big, heavily pressured bodies of water that definitely need specific regulations. But there’s zero need for lmb not to have a continuous season all year long. It’s an extremely hard law to verify without a shadow of doubt what intent is and pretty much unenforceable legally. Puts co’s and anglers in a really weird spot. When you break down the spawning dates from year to year, fishing completely out of the spawn brings with it a date range yr to yr that’s hard to pin down exactly for the entire state. Some years it’s early, some years it’s a touch later. Yes, it’s pretty predictable from an average perspective, but have caught a lot of early and late spawners of a lot of species. On lakes that are fully dependent on stocking and have no naturally occurring spawning for walleyes, what difference does it make not fishing those bodies of water in the spawn? Most Minnesota LMB lakes won’t be hurt or even remotely threatened by having a continuous bass season. Maybe some will get hammered and face some spawning disruption from a continuous season. But those are highly in the minority and could have some protection added to them.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.