Lets Talk flashlights

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

I see a lot of love for AA and AAA powered lights on here and I honestly don’t get it. The lithium lights are way brighter and last longer in the same size or smaller package. Also rechargeable, don’t get dim as the battery dies, and more waterproof. Really I have no idea why anyone would buy a light that runs off AA or AAA batteries.

What headlamp do you run with rechargeable Lithium? I’m not married to AA or AAA headlamps, I just keep an extra pack of batteries in the truck and replace as needed. Most end up corroding after a few years which is maybe a battery change or two.

James Almquist

A decent Coast headlamp and my battery of choice is Eneloop rechargeable. By far one of the best rechargeable batteries I have found in AA or AAA. In my truck I always have a 3 cell Maglite with the LED lamp.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I’ve been using a nitecore hc60 for a year now. So far I’ve had no issues. I can see the headband stretching a little, but they sell replacements for a couple bucks.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

What headlamp do you run with rechargeable Lithium?

All this headlamp talk has me looking (nevermind how many I already have). The Petzl Actik Core has my eye–can run off the rechargable Li battery pack or off of AAA batteries. Might go on the Christmas list. wink

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

What headlamp do you run with rechargeable Lithium?

Fenix has several that use the 18650 lithiums. Solid headlamps but you do pay an initial investment price.

Personally I use and have been very happy with a headlamp offered on Amazon. Uses the same 18650 rechargeable lithium batteries. The headlamp itself is plastic (as one would expect at this price) yet has been very dependable and functions well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X65NT46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tswoboda

What headlamp do you run with rechargeable Lithium? I’m not married to AA or AAA headlamps, I just keep an extra pack of batteries in the truck and replace as needed. Most end up corroding after a few years which is maybe a battery change or two.

The corroding is my exact experience with headlamps – and it’s not the headlamps fault, that’s just what alkaline batteries do. Also always had spare batteries everywhere and seemed like I changed them all the time because the light was so much brighter with fresh batteries.

A lot easier now to just have a headlamp I can charge with my phone charger. It’s pretty much always full and I always have a phone charger – you can even charge the battery off your phone. I have a cheapo off amazon – it’s actually a right angle flashlight with a head strap. Just look for one with the features you like that runs off a single 18650 or 21700 battery. Some good brands are fenix, nitecore, zebralight, and a bunch of others. Compared to AA or AAA headlamps it’s like going from NiCad battery powertools to modern Milwaukee fuel or Dewalt XR tools.

Looked it up and here’s the exact one I have

jake47
    WI

All this headlamp talk has me looking (nevermind how many I already have). The Petzl Actik Core has my eye–can run off the rechargable Li battery pack or off of AAA batteries. Might go on the Christmas list. wink
    [/quote]

Why wait til Xmas?

Petzl Actik Core

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Seriously the Duracell flashlights at Costco are like 800 lumens (the small ones 550) and light up a whole duck slew in the dark. With zoom and everything. Buy a multi pack and they are like $7-10 per flashlight and that includes batteries.

Haven’t thought about using a Mag Light in over a decade.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Why wait til Xmas?

1) I have quite a few headlamps already.
    2) The wife is always looking for gift ideas.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

One mini maglite in each vehicle, one in my mdc (most day carry) backpack. Love these things and at $30 I wouldn’t cry about having to replace one.

For a spotlight in the woods and on the boat I have a Fenix HT18. When I’m home this resides next to the HD items.

I also keep a good old fashioned maglite that runs on 3 D batteries in the closet. It’s a good solid light, and I got it for free so why not.

I run those coast headlamps that cost like $40 for a 3 pack at Costco. I think they’re just fine for what they are and battery life, while not great, is always very predictable. I’m not a big headlamp user outside of ice fishing.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I thought I throw a update out here. I ended up Getting a Fenix PD36R. Only got a few chances to use it on my last fishing trip. So far it seems like its going to be a great flashlight. I like the fact that its rechargable. On the Brightest setting it was more than powerful enough to locate marker buoys after dark. I really like the setup they have to change from the various power levels. This thing is Crazy bright on the highest setting. Even the lowest setting seems to have plenty of light for most task. It even has a strobe setting that is nice. I guess only time will tell how well it holds up over time. But for now I’m really happy with the purchase.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

For the headlamp guys I just bought my first good one. Coast Professional XPH34R its is rechargeable but also comes with a cartridge that holds 3 AAA batteries so if you run it out juice in the rechargeable you can toss those in and keep going. Brightest setting Turbo they call it is 2075 lumens, high is 1025, med is 330 and low is 73. Time will tell but it seems very well made. Cost is up there at a little over a hundo.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My wife worked at Pelican so we bought an assortment of headlamps and flashlights.

My favorite headlamp is the 2750. Been using them for a few years now and they are far better than every single one I’ve bought from a store in the same price range.
    http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/flashlights/headlamp/2750

Also have this one but don’t recommend. It’s rechargeable but it has this power flicker that once you see it, you can’t I see it and it’s just plain annoying. http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/flashlights/headlamp/2780r

This is my favorite flashlight. Super bright, rechargeable, I always use a lower setting unless I want to use it as a spotlight.
    http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/flashlights/tactical-flashlight/7100

This one takes AA batteries and is as good as the one above.
    http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/flashlights/tactical-flashlight/7620

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Nitecore is my go to . Just love the 30 size takes a 21650 and a bit bigger .1000 Lumens on high . I carry one on a belt along with Leatherman most everywhere i go.Also can be worn on a head band from Nitecore .

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.