Lawn Mower Recommendation

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Old push mower from the 80’s finally took a crap last weekend and im in the market for a new mower. I do not have a large yard nor do I have a desire to keep up with the jonses so I don’t need anything fancy or expensive with Edward Scissorhand trim options. Been forever since I purchased a mower and looking for advice. I want something that is economical, functional, and most importantly something that lasts a long time with proper maintenance. My buddy had an old toro that was bulletproof. Do they still rule the roost on quality or have they gone the way of the cheap Chinese parts?

Looking at prices some of these corded electric mowers are crazy cheap! My yard is close enough to an outlet and small enough where I think I could use electric without too much of a bother. Anyone have any experience with these? I know they aren’t sexy but again I don’t care as long as the wife stops nagging me about the long grass. Thanks in advance for any input.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have a nothing fancy Honda self-propelled. For me, motor selection is more important than anything with push mowers. The Honda GCV line has proven itself and I love them. I just wanted a mower that ran perfectly whenever asked and I could find blades for relatively cheap. Honda was a no-brainer in my mind.

IMO, you can’t go wrong with Honda small engines. My garage is overran with Honda stuff and each one runs like a top whenever asked.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The Toro Personal Pace mowers are awesome

Kyhl
    Savage

2nd’d.

My first Personal Pace Super Recycler, not the ones you see at home depot, was retired to cabin duty after 12 years at home. After changing the spark plug one time so far, it still starts on the first or second pull. I expect to get another dozen trouble free years out of it.

Replaced it with a second Super Recycler. It’s less than a year old but I like it better. My favorite change to it was the thumb spring release handle so it takes up less space in the garage.
    The downgrade was they put a spring loaded power switch on it. You have to hold the switch down to turn it off. It will restart if you let go of the kill switch before it stops spinning. The older model had a rocker switch, on/off.

Although I sprang for the blade brake on both so it will keep running when you let go. Great for picking up sticks or dog toys, stopping to open a gate without having to restart it. You don’t have to get that option.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

For a small yard and considering you’re purchasing new, I’d take a serious look at the new high-voltage, cordless LI battery powered mowers. Here’s an example from Echo.

Most of the major makers are now out with these cordless electric mowers. Ryobi, Echo, Toro, etc.

If I were going to buy new stuff, for an urban or small suburban lawn, I’d go with cordless these days. No gas, plenty of power, reliable, quiet, etc. Probably 70% of the lawn mowers out there could be replaced with cordless electric and the owners would be happier.

Grouse

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

For a small yard and considering you’re purchasing new, I’d take a serious look at the new high-voltage, cordless LI battery powered mowers. Here’s an example from Echo.

Most of the major makers are now out with these cordless electric mowers. Ryobi, Echo, Toro, etc.

If I were going to buy new stuff, for an urban or small suburban lawn, I’d go with cordless these days. No gas, plenty of power, reliable, quiet, etc. Probably 70% of the lawn mowers out there could be replaced with cordless electric and the owners would be happier.

Grouse

When the yearly thread comes around asking for your cylinder count you will be short one by going electric. sad

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

In the 1990’s I bought a Ryobi cordless electric mulcher.

The two batteries lasted about 2 years with an $80 price tag. I was surprised that the mower was as loud as it was. Not the motor but the blade is what made the noise.

It didn’t work very well if..
    the blade wasn’t sharp. (I bought and extra)
    if the grass was too long
    if the grass was at all wet.

I bought it thinking the wife wouldn’t need to know how to change spark plugs, check the oil or fill the gas tank. For that it was great!

I would like to hear some reviews of the new LI battery powered mowers.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

In the 1990’s I bought a Ryobi cordless electric mulcher.
    The two batteries lasted about 2 years with an $80 price tag. I was surprised that the mower was as loud as it was. Not the motor but the blade is what made the noise.

I would like to hear some reviews of the new LI battery powered mowers.

There isn’t any comparison. In the 1990s, those would have been powered by NiCad batteries of less than 20 volts.

The new LI models are somewhere between 40 and 65 volts! They last longer, have more charge/discharge cycles, and can withstand heavier use. Combined with brushless motors and I think this is a major development that is going to become the norm within 5 years. I strongly suspect the days of the gas-powered lawn mower for most small lawns is coming to a close.

I tried the new Milwaukee and DeWalt lawn/garden tools at a dealer back in April. The string trimmer was in every way the equal of a quality gasoline string trimmer. The dealer had personally used a unit to cut an overgrown ditch and said it lasted a stopwatch-timed 42 minutes of solid, heavy-duty cutting of tall, coarse grass at full power.

For the average homeowner that trims 10 to 15 minutes at a time, this machine would be massive overkill. I tried the DeWalt and Milwaukee trimmer, the chainsaw, and the blower and all were totally capable of doing everything I need to do at my home in town. Obviously for farm or commercial use or for extreme situations of extended all-day use, gas is still the way to go.

I haven’t personally tried a lawnmower, but I suspect the lawnmowers are now about the same, probably more than enough for the average “in town” lawn. If I had to replace everything, all at once, I’d get electric now for my home in the burbs. I only use the hand mower for 15 minutes at a time to “clean up” and the tractor does the rest. Trimming is a 10 minute job and same with blowing. Electric would just be nice because it’s pull the trigger and go.

Grouse

bigpike

I saw a guy cutting grass with an electric mower over the weekend at the no brother good in laws, mower looked new didnt catch the name grass was very thick and from a distance I was impressed. Small city lot btw….

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Me and my gas guzzling air polluting gas rider will continue to do my 3 acres until i’m dead. Can’t imagine it will be to long before the huggers wanna pass legislation mandating electric mowers for the ‘burbs.

ski junkie
    Grantsburg, Wisc

Get a sheep or a goat

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

3rds
    Just picked up my Personal Pace Recycler this spring and I am very pleased so far. It is effortless to start and really easy to maneuver. If you go this route go to a toro dealer and not home depot.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

“If you go this route go to a toro dealer and not home depot.”

how come?

fishingdm

We bought a Honda self propelled mower from the HD about 4 years ago. It is great! It cuts the grass and mulches it so well, even the really tall thick stuff. Always starts on the first or second pull, Most times the first pull. I would recommend it.

One

I bought Honda from Homedepot 12yrs ago and still work good.!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I have a Toro personal pace that I like. But I’m envious of my neighbor’s litium ion mower. (I bought a dewalt lithium ion trimmer last year and it matches or beats my old gas trimmer in every category.)

Sam
    St.Francis

I would get a Cub cadet sc500 z it has front caster wheels that make it a breeze to turn and all the cub self propelled and push mowers are now guaranteed to start on the first pull, also what they mean by going through a dealer is because the dealers usually can tell you more about each machine and are more knowledgeable than a high school kid from home Depot

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Small yard. May just be best off to buy the $125 mower Menards has on sale this week. Mowers see little use overall in MN, if it gets you by 5 years that still only $25 a year…

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I think Toro isn’t what it used to be, but they’re still a good mower. I grew up with one that my dad finally replaced (after 22 years) last summer. The thing still started on the first pull. He replaced with a new Personal Pace, and he likes it. I bought a Toro about 7 years ago–it’s not a Personal Pace, but it is self-propelled. Aside from replacing the traction cable twice (terrible design), it’s been good. It won’t last 22 years, but my yard is a bit more extreme.

If a Li-Ion would do the trick, I would seriously look at that route. No gas, oil changes, winterizing…sounds awesome.

Kyhl
    Savage

how come?

Because Home Depot doesn’t carry the Super Recycler, only the Recycler.

Only time I bag is to pick up leaves, otherwise the Super Recycler does it job.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve looked at the battery powered mowers like the Echo, not sure what the total cost of ownership is vs a gas mower, but I did see a youtube video on how much it costs to charge the battery (.02c). So his yearly cost of ownership was like $1.10. Now it takes me about 5 gallons of gas per year to use my Toro ($11.25), so we’re talking many years for the Echo to break even with the Toro…

My Toro engine is running strong, but the wheel drive system is starting to go…(known issue with the older Personal Pace mowers and replacing the wheel drive system is about 1/2 the price of a new mower) so i’ll have a decision on my hands in the near future…

Like others have said, my Toro starts on the 1st or 2nd pull everytime and mine is about 8 years old…each spring the initial start-up can be a hassle though…

Here’s a video explaining a Toro Recycler vs Super Recycler – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHPoHSLLc80 How can you not trust the opinion of “Jake the Lawn Kid” lol

Kyhl
    Savage

I’ve looked at the battery powered mowers like the Echo, not sure what the total cost of ownership is vs a gas mower, but I did see a youtube video on how much it costs to charge the battery (.02c). So his yearly cost of ownership was like $1.10. Now it takes me about 5 gallons of gas per year to use my Toro ($11.25), so we’re talking many years for the Echo to break even with the Toro…

My Toro engine is running strong, but the wheel drive system is starting to go…(known issue with the older Personal Pace mowers and replacing the wheel drive system is about 1/2 the price of a new mower) so i’ll have a decision on my hands in the near future…

Like others have said, my Toro starts on the 1st or 2nd pull everytime and mine is about 8 years old…each spring the initial start-up can be a hassle though…

Here’s a video explaining a Toro Recycler vs Super Recycler – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHPoHSLLc80 How can you not trust the opinion of “Jake the Lawn Kid” lol

Watching that video I’m thinking I need to get the neighbor kids over to test out lawn mowers, and wondering how many times I can con them into trying them out. waytogo

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the suggestions!

zooks

Small yard. May just be best off to buy the $125 mower Menards has on sale this week. Mowers see little use overall in MN, if it gets you by 5 years that still only $25 a year…

I’ve had this mower for the last 10 years, still runs great but the cut quality leaves a lot to be desired, even with aftermarket blades.

I’m looking to upgrade as well, was thinking of buying used off CL but used prices aren’t all that great and after doing some shopping, will definitely lean to an LI model.

Good thread, thanks for the input everyone.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

So which one did you decide on…Batman? jester

Attachments:
    1. mwr-3.jpg

Reef W

I got a Brute lawnmower 3 years ago. I guess it’s Briggs & Stratton’s own brand? I think it’s the same motor as Toro Personal Pace and it’s cheaper. I don’t take care of it well all but still starts on first or second pull every time even after sitting all winter, don’t have to prime it or anything. I think only Menards carries them but I’m not sure.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/outdoor-power-equipment/lawn-mowers-accessories/brute-reg-21-163cc-gas-self-propelled-lawn-mower/p-1444441255130-c-10112.htm?tid=7103272614952270500

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t think the cost savings provide a reason to go with the new LI battery-powered mowers and outdoor equipment.

IMO the benefits are all about hassle factor elimination. Electric products are just simpler than gasoline powered equipment. No gas, no oil checking/changes, no starting issues, no winterization other than charging and removing the battery for storage.

You pull the trigger and mow with electric, then recharge it in when you’re done.

But you’re right, I could never justify replacing my walk-behind mower, string trimmer, blower, and hedge trimmer with the new LI stuff just based on cost savings, there’s no ROI to be had. But when a guy has to buy new, they’re now well worth considering IMO. I look at all the guys now who have lawns that can be mowed in less than 40 minutes with a walk behind and there’s the target market for electric.

Grouse

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

if honestly looking at cost alone look at garage sales used. get a cheap one use it until it gives and replace. craiglist a lot of them you might have to haggle on. garage sales people want the stuff gone.

the electric does sound like a good route for a small yard

404 ERROR
    MN

MN Home Outlet has a TON of electric and gas mowers right now at very good prices. I would stop by there and take a look.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

“If you go this route go to a toro dealer and not home depot.”

how come?

cause there a affiliated with wally world!!!!!!!! coffee devil devil

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.