Late Season Rochester Ice

• Dan
    Southeast MN

I was out in the Rochester area this past Sunday and there was still plenty of ice. No pulling away at shorelines and there was a ton of ice-I tried to measure but it was deeper than my scoop, so probably at least 18-plus inches.

I’m hoping to get out one more time not this weekend but the next, probably to Silver Creek because it’s one of the closer ones for me. I’m just asking if anyone does check out the ice on the reservoir before next weekend and you don’t mind, please report on the ice conditions. With some rain and consistently above-freezing temps, I’m not sure what the conditions will be in 10 days. If I can get out it’ll involve arrangements to have the in-laws watch the kids, so I just don’t want to go through a bunch of hassle and then not be able to fish.

Any updates on the ice greatly appreciated!

Dan
    Southeast MN

Bump just to see if anyone’s been out or heard of deteriorating ice this week.

munchy
    NULL

Haven’t checked out any of the main lakes lately but drove by the holding ponds today off 40th and Hwy63. They were all about 90% open water.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

If I’m reading correctly the last day out was March 7? A lot has happened since then on the weather front: Sun, Warm, Wind, Rain, Snow. I’ve watched the St Croix open up quite a bit since then. We’re getting to the time of year when some of these bodies of water can be okay when accessed in the morning when it’s 25-30 deg. When it warms up to the 50s in the afternoon things get soft and you may find yourself swimming.

tim hurley

Have never heard of that actually happening tegg, hmm. I went out one morning and parked on some frozen ground fished till about noon and found my truck in mud!
    Anyone of course in the southern half of the state should only consider walking out at this point. If you can actually safely get out you are probably ok, after that stay away from the north side.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in guys, I appreciate it.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Update: No fishable ice.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Have never heard of that actually happening tegg, hmm. I went out one morning and parked on some frozen ground fished till about noon and found my truck in mud!
    Anyone of course in the southern half of the state should only consider walking out at this point. If you can actually safely get out you are probably ok, after that stay away from the north side.

Years ago I had the situation I described happen to myself. Ice hadn’t even separated from shore yet. Went thru getting off the lake after a warm afternoon.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.