Last Metro Ice Trip?

• Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

I am heading to Florida on vacation in a day and I’m not sure what sort of ice conditions I’m going to come back to in the Twin Cities in April. With that I mind I decided to walk out on a Metro lake with a buddy on Wednesday to try to capitalize on a sundown shallow water bite. We used big baits and fished a shallow weedy point. The Crappies would come flying out of the thick stuff and hammer the baits – it was a lot of fun to watch on the flasher! How late into April do you think we’ll be ice fishing in the Metro?

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Why the black latex gloves Mitch?

tucrs
    NW Metro

I am wondering that as well?

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

Skin allergy to fish slime. Doesn’t happen with Saltwater or Trout but everything else – after like 5 days of touching fish slime my skin will get a bubble, that bubble will grow and then peel. It’s not painful but more so annoying and looks bad. The latex gloves help slow that in the winter time, I don’t wear them open water but it’s easy in the winter so I put them on.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Makes sense then! A fellow fish addict who’s allergic to fish. O the irony! haha Keep up the good work bud!

Lincoln Schultz

Good question. I fish the hutchinson area and all i can say is i fished a lake on saturday and then again today (monday) and the ice was around 20 inches. the top 6 were white but still pretty solid and people were driving out. im planning on fishing there again next week. On the other hand i was at a lake about 20 miles south of there and although there was about the same 20 inches about 16 of it was white and very soft the top 4 was like a sno cone and i dug a hole with my foot about 6 inches deep. not going back there agian. Nice video and good luck with your fishing when you get back.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

Makes sense then! A fellow fish addict who’s allergic to fish. O the irony! haha Keep up the good work bud!

Do you have a fish allergy as well Matt? The irony is definitely thick considering how much we love to fish!

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Nope I am not Mitch, but I know a couple other guys that fish as hard as us that are allergic to fish also.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Thats funny you bring up the allergy. I always suspected it had something to do with fishing but I too get reactions to something. More so in winter, perch primarily and it takes a few days of contact. Left hand is the worst (handling hand), itches then palm and between fingers will peel.
    I think I will have to study this more with field testing.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

Thats funny you bring up the allergy. I always suspected it had something to do with fishing but I too get reactions to something. More so in winter, perch primarily and it takes a few days of contact. Left hand is the worst (handling hand), itches then palm and between fingers will peel.
    I think I will have to study this more with field testing.

I basically confirmed it when I moved to Colorado for a few years. Trout slime doesn’t affect me so my hands were always good there. Then I’d come home to MN for short trips in the Summer/Winter and do some fishing. By the end of my trip or when I got back to CO my hands would start the familiar peeling. Now I only notice it on the rare month that I don’t do any fishing, my hands will be in good shape.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I’ve been fishing from a very young age and when I was cleaning a bunch of walleyes when I was 19 years old, I all off a sudden created an allergy. My hands got extremely itchy and red. It would last for hours. Now I always clean fish with latex gloves. I still get itchy when I handle lots of fish while fishing. Its way worse when I get stuck with a dorsal fin. I have found a trick that works in a pinch. I rub tooth paste all over my hands. Don’t know why it works, but it does.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think you’re going to be able to panfish on the ice for a few more weeks Mitch…..

jech84

I have the same dang fish slime allergy…developed it in high school and took me about 5 years to figure it out…winters were the worst and now I have to wear latex gloves especially on the left hand when cleaning…huge pain in the arse!

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

I think you’re going to be able to panfish on the ice for a few more weeks Mitch…..

I think you’re right!!! I wasn’t sure what I’d come home to but I came home to relatively cold temps and snow! lol

kbeck12

Is anyone still out fishing on metro lakes or is hard water mostly done?

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve yet to find a lake in the metro with bad ice. I’m sure there’s a couple, but I haven’t been on em. Some of the shorelines are getting thin, but that’s about it.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

I got out this weekend. Some of the shoreline accesses are getting dicey but once you’re on there is still 2 feet of ice. Actually had a full size truck pull up to me in the NE Metro last Friday…no idea where they accessed from but I was surprised they didn’t go through on the shoreline.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.