Lake Zumbro

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I drove out to the lake before sunrise this morning for a look-see at things. The water level is right at summer pool level and the clarity isn’t bad at all on the upper part of the lake near Fisherman’s. The water temp at 2 feet was 44 degrees. In the same spot at 6 feet its 43 degrees, so some daytime heating is happening with the high skies of late. There is just a tick more current than usual but I don’t think it is enough to affect anything.

I had four different colors of plastic on and two bait profiles and fished as deep as eight feet, both free line and under a float. There just didn’t seem to be any crappie activity where I was at yet. Way early for sunfish. I did have one nice smallmouth take a swing at one of the small crankbaits I’ve been painting lately but it did not come around for a second look on that cast nor did it make another appearance on any other cast. There were carp rolling on the surface so crappies can’t be very far behind.

The wind came up after about 40 minutes of play and I wasn’t really dressed for windchill so I bagged it up and came home. 2 weeks. If we don’t see huge amounts of rain we should be looking at 50 degree water and crappies should start coming out of the deep water in pretty good numbers by then.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

So ice is off? I may have to make a drive to the LZ and river this weekend. Tom, when do they usually put the dock in?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I didn’t drive down to the dam end of the lake so I can’t say for sure the ice is totally off back in there. We’ve seen the spring high water now so when the ice goes they’re pretty good about putting the launch area in working order fairly fast.

The water is still pretty chilly so I don’t get too hepped up on the lake until I see some warmer water. On a daily basis there are areas that will warm and offer some late day fishing but these areas don’t work unless the sun is bright that day.

On the water temp, I never get too excited about water temps taken off a transducer. You don’t see many fish that high up. I take two readings….one at about 2-3 feet and the other between 6 and 8 feet depending on the depth where I am at. I pay the most attention to the deep reading as it is what will govern the crappies the most. When I find water at 50 degrees at 6-8 feet I get pretty serious about crappie fishing.

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

As of last Saturday (3/30), the launch by the dam was still locked in. Looked like the main lake was wide open, so as soon at that bay at the launch opens up, we should be good to go. I didn’t drive anywhere else along the lake, but it wouldn’t be out of the question for other bays upstream to have some ice remaining.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Lake Zum can be a dog at getting rid of ice. Even high water has a tough time breaking up the bays.
    Thanks for the heads up Trent.

BrewCrewFan

Any word if the launch by the dam has opened up? TIA.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The ice has disappeared but the right now the lake is about 2 feet high with yesterday’s rain. On Tuesday morning the water was still cold at 44 degrees after all the snow melt rain into it and the lake level was at about 18″ high. Given the high water it’ll be a no wake adventure by boat. To compound things, the transmission line damage left by the snow/ice we had puts both turbines off-line so the lake will only have the natural drawdown, the turbines are not being used right now. At current levels it could take a week or better to get the lake to no-wake status.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The lake was just shy of 2 1/2 high this morning but has since come down to just about spot on at 2 feet high. The turbines must be running again because the drop from this morning is almost vertical. Granted its only 6 inches of drop but that’s fast. Maybe with no rain in the immediate future the lake will settle down now.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

RPU is playing games with the lake. On Monday 22nd the RPU site indicated that both turbines were working wide open to get the water down to the 914.5 summer pool level and would remain at full capacity until that was achieved. Yesterday we fished the lake and the water had come down nicely. Fishing was so-so with a crappie or two and some white bass. Water temp was an even 50 degrees. This morning I see that both turbines are shut down again and the water has come up again.

Its doubtful that this morning’s rain is going to affect much but it would be great if they’d leave those turbines run so we can get below the no wake. The weather forecast shows much cooler temps starting Saturday with a chance of snow even so between the messing with the turbines, slow warming water and now what amounts to possible cold conditions well into next week things will be on hold.

The dredge is scheduled to go in the water on the 4th of May, maybe the 6th?, but the operation will be under way soon, then we can see how its going to affect things on the upper lake nearer Sandy Point and above. Kings Marina and Fishermans basin will get the route job some time in July from what I have been told.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I had a couple hours early Friday morning so I drove out and gave it a shot again. The wind was a factor and from where I was fishing I couldn’t keep the line where I wanted it so fishing was a short study. The water was still at an even 50 degrees and had come up about 6, maybe 9 inches from Weds in spite of having had no rain.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

If any of you guys make it by the lake this week, can you let me know if the dock is in? I imagine the no wake is in effect? I am selling my pride and joy Sunday and wanted to let the new owner take it for a spin….might be more of a slow troll but at least he will know it floats!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We were there this morning and the water is still above the threshold for dropping the no wake. Its actually risen again a bit.

The fishing has picked up some with us catching a northern, a largemouth and three crappies in a couple hours, with several missed hits from crappies.

Where I was at the water temp has come up one degree from yesterday to 52 degrees.

sbr_it

Read the dredge project is starting today. Is that being done at current water levels or is it getting drained a bit?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The dam will regulate the water to stay at the summer pool level Andy.

I’m not sure the heavy dredge unit can travel on roads with weight restrictions on them yet…or so I heard. The actual dredging was supposed to begin on Monday the 6th.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

A friend and I were up early and hit the Zum just ahead of today’s rain and it paid very well. Some nice 12 inch crappies along with many others were caught. A couple of super-sized sunfish also wanted to join in. By 8 oclock the big rush was over for the fish while the temps dropped and rain started in earnest and the wind ramped up big time.

5 nice crappies made the trip home for a hot oil bath tonight. Home now and the rain has let up here so I’m dry and happy we got in the fish just ahead of the storm.

The dredge is NOT operating as yet. There were several large floats tied up at Fishermans and one was towed to the Sandy Point site. I’m not sure if these will handle pumps or the piping or are actually components of the dredge itself. They appear to have the retention area looking ready for use now.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The lake is up a foot from yesterday again, so back to no-wake. With the cold winds, cold rains and high water I think it’ll take a couple days for things to settle down again. Friday is supposed to be decent but rain again Saturday isn’t good especially if its putt, putt, putt.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We found a stretch of 60 degree water this morning and hammered crappies. 54 to 58 degree water yielded four fish.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.