Lake Erie Walleye Tournament (Lewt)

• Coletrain27

Funny how they can bring charges so fast against these two… but they cannot when a Hunter is involved ? smirk

its because there is 100’s of thousands of dollars involved and felonys

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>
    Funny how they can bring charges so fast against these two… but they cannot when a Hunter is involved ? smirk

Not quite sure what you’re referring to as far as hunters… Poaching?

But I don’t think authorities had a choice given how public and viral this became. If they didn’t act there would be more outrage.
    [/quot

It was a Hunter Biden reference, best to let it lay or the thread will get dusted.

Ripjiggen

Also the evidence is pretty clear.

Dan
    Southeast MN

On a related note, anyone done one of those virtual tournaments through Fish Donkey? I got an e-mail today from them outlining some measures they take to prevent cheating. Apparently they have technology that will identify an old photo or one that’s been altered. I have no idea how they do that but I also barely know how to use an SD card. The technology they use is both trademarked and patented, so they must really be trying to stay out in front of any cheating through their platform.

3Rivers

On a related note, anyone done one of those virtual tournaments through Fish Donkey? I got an e-mail today from them outlining some measures they take to prevent cheating. Apparently they have technology that will identify an old photo or one that’s been altered. I have no idea how they do that but I also barely know how to use an SD card. The technology they use is both trademarked and patented, so they must really be trying to stay out in front of any cheating through their platform.

I was an early adopter and also friend of the guy that developed and owns FishDonkey. I have ran dozens of contests on the platform. I personally think it works great and happy there is an option like that available. Sure there are a couple of loopholes and quirks to using it, but overall a good experience. There is no such thing as a perfect scenario, someone will always find a way to cheat.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Eliminate the cash value and you eliminate the cheating and the cheating value. It use to be years ago that trophy’s and a line or two in the newspaper was all that was needed. Today to justify the high entries there are cash rewards along with the big dollar prizes. Are those really needed? How about getting back to testing your skill against the other guys?

I guess if you are determined to play in the big dollar tournaments you are willing to be cheated.

CaptainMusky

Today to justify the high entries there are cash rewards along with the big dollar prizes.

Well, if they didnt pay out prizes to the winners and collected entry fees who in their right mind would even pay? Just hand the money over to me and I will pay pull tabs with it.

3Rivers

Eliminate the cash value and you eliminate the cheating and the cheating value.

you would think so, but sadly not true

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Wasn’t there suspicion of cheating at the jaycees ice fishing thing in Brainerd a few years back? I seem to faintly remember two people related to each other (brothers) winning top prizes and one of them brought in an enormous perch that was overly big for Gull Lake.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    Today to justify the high entries there are cash rewards along with the big dollar prizes.

Well, if they didnt pay out prizes to the winners and collected entry fees who in their right mind would even pay? Just hand the money over to me and I will pay pull tabs with it.

They don’t need to charge high entries do they? Wouldn’t the field be larger with lower entries? Using the St. Jude for example…..instead of writing checks to the winners why not donate the purse straight to St. Judes in the winners name?

To be clear I understand this isn’t how things work. But thats only because thats the way anglers want it. Well, then they should be willing to get cheated also. Kind of like you are willing to get cancer if you smoke or chew. Willing to lose your liver if you drink. Willing to get in a accident if you drive.

Risk vs reward.

big_g
    Isle, MN

St. Judes has $5.2B in reserves. coffee (that’s another story) Whether its for ca$h or a trophy, cheaters gonna cheat. smirk

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

St. Judes has $5.2B in reserves. coffee (that’s another story) Whether its for ca$h or a trophy, cheaters gonna cheat. smirk

Agreed but I think theres a higher chance of a cheater for a $25,000 check than a trophy or plaque.

hnd

there are tournaments that go on all the time where very little money is won and there is still tons of cheating going on. and if you don’t think guys were also cheating here or there when it was just notoriety and hardware I don’t know what to tell you.

CaptainMusky

Wasn’t there suspicion of cheating at the jaycees thing in Brainerd a few years back? I seem to faintly remember two people related to each other (brothers) winning top prizes and one of them brought in an enormous that was overly big for Gull Lake.

I dont know if it was a perch or not, but there was definitely someone suspected of cheating a few years ago. I know there was a family from Ohio that apparently was really lucky winning big prizes for years. They apparently were cleared in 2018 after a polygraph.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I know there was a family from Ohio that apparently was really lucky winning big prizes for years.

Yes, that’s it. Now I remember Ohio too.

MX1825

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

its because there is 100’s of thousands of dollars involved and felonys

Or a famous actor. whistling

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Update on these guys.

“Fishermen Jacob Runyan and Chase Cominsky, accused of packing weights into fish in an attempt to win nearly $30,000 at an Ohio tournament, pleaded not guilty Wednesday.”

The felony charges are of the 5th degree which carries up to a year in prison and/or a $2500 fine.

CaptainMusky

Not guilty?! LOL Good luck with that.

big_g
    Isle, MN

A little reading on this… our legal system “assumes” nothing. Did someone see them put the weights/filets in the fish ? Is there physical evidence, fingerprints, DNA ? Pretty sick, but there are ways to beat it.. now they definitely would need to perjure themselves if they take the stand.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Not guilty?! LOL Good luck with that.

A good lawyer may be able to get a reduced/minimal sentence out of it. I don’t see how they could be found completely not guilty. Big G is right though. Our judicial system is innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof falls upon the prosecutor.

CaptainMusky

Right, pleading guilty they would likely get maximum sentence, but I still find it hilarious. What are they going to argue that the fish swallowed those weights and fillets? I hope the judge wallops them as hard as he can.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

These guys are no different than the people who stole all the Covid cash, Bernie Madoff, Brittany Griner. They think they are above the law and the laws don’t apply to them. They also think the upside outweighs the downside and that a slap on the wrist and probation is in order.

I don’t think the death penalty is warranted but I’m not against making a example out of them.

CaptainMusky

I don’t think the death penalty is warranted but I’m not against making a example out of them.

Right. There have been a few people caught cheating at tourneys, but this is the only one I had heard about so if they make an example out of them it will hopefully deter others in the future.

rsee

There is so much unknown. People know what is reported on the news. If you believe all that is on the news or social media, you’re in trouble. Those in the know shouldn’t be talking about an active investigation. There is a lot of time that goes into an investigation and a charge. Things are not always cut and dry as the media or social media portrays them and you might think they are. Innocent people are found guilty, and guilty people are found innocent. Good or bad, it’s our judicial system. If it goes to trial, who do you think is sitting on the jury? Just some thoughts.

Deuces

Can you imagine being the defense lawyer here arguing the other possible ways or uncertainty of the weights being in his/her clients fish?

LMAO, good luck with that. Noone likes cheaters, any side of the social spectrum, no one.

At this point they chose their own doomed paths, max punishment afaic

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There is so much unknown. People know what is reported on the news.

I agree, there is a lot of information relayed that may not be true by the news and the media.

However, the official document issued by the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s office indicating the charges of 5th degree felony and seizure of said boat/trailer is not false. That is 100% true because its an official document that has now been made public.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Can you imagine being the defense lawyer here arguing the other possible ways or uncertainty of the weights being in his/her clients fish?

LMAO, good luck with that. Noone likes cheaters, any side of the social spectrum, no one.

At this point they chose their own doomed paths, max punishment afaic

That’s just it… the burden is on the prosecutor to prove they put them in the fish, not the defense lawyer to prove they didn’t. Sad but true.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Does the tourney rules state that placing weights in a fish is not allowed?
    Common sense does but it would be interesting to know. It would be a defense.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I don’t see anything about altering the fish… remember, common sense is not common these days.

1. Rules and Rules Changes
    These rules will remain unchanged unless otherwise notified prior to a tournament. Different tournament sites will also have site specific rules. Interpretation of the rules will be at the discretion of the Tournament Director (TD). The rules and the interpretations of the TD will be final, and are not open to protest. Rule meetings will be held online the Thursday before all tournament events at 6pm.

1A. The LEWT is holding a tournament in conjunction with the Masters Walleye Circuit in 2022. In order to do so, some of our rules will be temporarily altered or suspended so that anglers can participate in both events. The Tournament Director will be communicating the changes to you prior to the event. All LEWT anglers should be prepared to attend the MWC team meeting held the evening before the first day of the Lorain tournament.

2. Sportsmanship
    Entrants must conduct themselves in a true sportsman-like manner, NO EXCEPTIONS. You are expected to act with the highest degree of courtesy, honesty, and ethical behavior at all times. Remember, you not only represent yourselves, but all tournament anglers and competitive fishermen. Any unsportsmanlike behavior will lead to penalties and possible disqualification from any and all LEWT tournaments. Any team receiving a citation for a violation in their boat from any law enforcement agency on the day of the tournament will be disqualified for that tournament. Anyone receiving a citation, or having any contact with Law Enforcement, is required to notify the TD immediately.

3. Safety
    Safety must be observed at all times. All contestants must wear Coast Guard approved PFDs while the boat is moving above trolling speed. Each contestant is to follow all state and federal regulations. No alcoholic beverages or illegal substances may be consumed by, or in possession of, anyone participating in any tournament activity. Pay attention to the weather, and the conditions around you; know your limitations, and the limitations of your vessel. The LEWT will not be able to recall the field once we have launched the tournament day. Remember, you are responsible for your own safety! In case of severe weather, you should seek shelter, and notify the TD after the danger has passed.

4. Boats and Equipment
    All boat compartments and wells will be inspected prior to the start of that day of fishing. All boats must conform to all state and USCG standards. Your boat must have all required USCG safety equipment on board as stated in rule #4, and also a working VHF radio. No items, including bait and tackle, may be passed between boats after the tournament has started. Only registered contestants or tournament officials are allowed to be on the boat during tournament hours. All boats must have liability insurance.
    · Boats must be registered with the LEWT upon tournament registration. All anglers must identify their vessel(s) they have the ability to fish from. In the event of a broken or damaged tournament vessel. Anglers will need to contact the tournament director. A back up vessel may be used after being approved by the tournament director.

5. Severe weather
    In the event of severe weather, the tournament hours may be suspended, delayed, extended, shortened, or have alternate boundaries put in place. A tournament may be rescheduled or canceled at the discretion of the Tournament Director. All Saturday tournaments will have a blow day scheduled on Sunday unless otherwise noted. Two day tournaments will start on Friday, with Sunday available as a blow day should one day be lost to weather. In the event that severe weather makes returning to the weigh-in site unsafe, get to a safe dock and call the TD and check in, so that we know you are off the water and safe.

6. Communication
    You must have a working VHF marine band radio. The official tournament channel will be channel 80. You may monitor any channel while fishing, but may not transmit by radio, cell phone* or any other electronic equipment, except in case of emergency. You may not arrange for someone to transmit information over the radio such as location or fishing program in the open for your benefit. You may not come into contact with another vessel, nor have any communication with anyone else during a tournament, unless otherwise noted in the rules as permitted. Transmitting or receiving any type of information via any communication device is prohibited. You may not use a cell phone, or any other electronic device to track the location of other boats or competitors during tournament hours. *Cell phone use parameters: Cell phones are for emergency use only. The number for the TD is located on the back of all boat cards and any emergency should be relayed to the TD. Make arrangements not to have business or other non-emergency calls during tournament hours. If the TD finds that you have transmitted or received information to better your day or catch more fish you would be in violation of the rules, you will be disqualified.

7. Fishing
    Water open to fishing will be the contiguous waters of Lake Erie. All Ohio game and fish regulations must be adhered to while pre-fishing and fishing on tournament day. Competitors must not come in contact with other boats during tournament fishing hours until your fish have been weighed, or your boat board has been turned in to tournament officials. Contact means physical touching or passing of equipment. The only exception to this is in an emergency situation. If your boat becomes disabled, you must contact the TD for options on weighing your catch. Fish must never be combined between teams. Only SIX rods may be upright and visible while fishing. Putting rods in holders while running to another spot is acceptable. Contestants will be limited to one lure or presentation per rod.

8. Dead Fish
    There is no dead fish penalty and you MAY KEEP YOUR LEGAL LIMIT. However, vessels with a live well should use them. Live wells should be functioning so as not to cause undue degradation of fish. Fish not kept in a live well must be put on ice immediately so as not to appear old. Any participant culling a dead fish will be disqualified from the tournament. Improperly cared for fish may be taken from the weigh basket and not weighed at the judgment of the TD. Bringing a fish short of legal size to the scale will disqualify the team from weighing any fish that day.

9. Check-in/ Weigh-in
    Teams must be past the official check in site before the end of tournament hours to weigh fish. Any team arriving one minute or more late will not be allowed to weigh in. It is the angler’s responsibility to verify the check-in boat has confirmed your boat number as you pass. Check in site will be announced at each tournament. The employee or person designated as the boat check has the final say if a boater was late. The TD will not overturn the decision made by the check in boat.

Winners will be determined by the weight of their five largest fish. Big Fish winner will be determined by the weight of the single largest walleye. Only one fish per team is eligible for Big Fish. Teams must weigh their fish in as soon as possible after arriving past the check in point. Any delay in doing so will result in a half weight penalty being assessed for the total weight, and Big Fish weight.

Tie Breakers are as follows:
    Tournament overall Bag – Big Fish Weight
    If either team did not weigh for Big Fish, then a coin will be flipped for place determination and prize money will be split evenly.
    Big Fish Tie Breaker – Tournament overall bag weight

10. Participation and Eligibility
    LEWT Fields will be considered full at 80 boats of two person teams. The TD may choose where applicable fields will not be capped at 80 boats. Example – joint tournament with the MWC could be opened up to all boats wanting to participate.
    · All participants 18 or older must be current members of the BWWC, with the exception that a minor fishing with his/her parent or guardian will not be required to pay for BWWC membership.
    · The minimum age to fish in the LEWT is 13 unless accompanied by a parent, guardian, or family member. A special waiver is required to be signed by parents or legal guardian before any minor participant will be accepted. Additionally, all minors must provide proof that they have successfully completed a NASBLA (National Association of State Boating Law Administrators) approved Safe Boating course such as the Ohio Division of Watercrafts OBEC (Ohio Boating Education Course). The BWWC, LEWT or TD has the right to refuse entry, or declare expulsion, to individuals from the tournament circuit for any reason.

11. Entry Fees
    Entry Fees for any LEWT Event will need to be completed the Monday prior to a scheduled event at 12 Midnight. All Entries will be closed Tuesday 12:01 am unless a different deadline has been announced by the TD. Entry fees for all LEWT tournaments are $300 per team per event + PayPal fees. The 2 Day Championship is $400 . Early Bird entries will be taken starting 6pm January 13th through January 31st, 2022 and is for teams signing up to fish 4 events – plus the Championship (5 Tournaments). Boat numbers for all Early Bird teams will stay the same for the season, and will be assigned based on finishing position in the previous year’s Team of the Year points, for returning teams that fished all 5 events. (Returning Early Bird members will receive their earned starting position from the previous year’s TOY standings. Teams that split with new partners will remain in the same starting position with returning team captains receiving the lower boat number.) The balance of the boat numbers will be assigned by order of entry. Starting February 1, single tournament entries will be accepted until all fields are full. No entries will be accepted after midnight on the Monday prior to a tournament. A fee will be charged to cover PayPal processing fees.

**New for 2022 Early Bird Teams Only will be eligible to pay via check. Checks must be received by February 1st in order to retain your boat number earned in the previous year.

12. Refunds
    Refunds will not be given if a tournament takes place on a scheduled “blow day”. If the entire tournament weekend has to be rescheduled due to weather, a team that is unable to fish on the make-up date may request a refund or transfer to a future event. For events that are not rescheduled for weather, there will be no refunds. At the discretion of the TD, Early Bird teams will not be eligible for refunds, and will need to reschedule to a later event or use a substitution. Early Bird Teams requesting to be rescheduled will need to be done (2) days prior to tournament registration cut-off. If a life threatening emergency situation, or death in the family arises and causes the Early Bird team to miss a tournament, they will be automatically rescheduled to the next event unless they request otherwise. If other events are missed, there will be no additional refunds given to Early Bird teams. If a single entry team needs a refund for any reason other than an emergency, they need to submit via Email to the TD no less than 2 days prior to the registration cut-off date (FRIDAY BEFORE REGISTRATION CUT-OFF).

All teams who register for a tournament that has been canceled will receive a refund less a $25 Fee or be given the option to reschedule.

All refunds will have a $25 writing fee withheld.

13. Substitutes

Submit roster changes to [email protected]

Substitutes may be used at any time, but they may not be an original member of another team. One of the original team members must be present to receive Team of the Year points. A substitution will only be allowed once per team per season to be eligible for Team of the Year points. If both team members cannot fish it is suggested to select another tournament date to participate.
    Substitutions – Each TOY team is eligible to substitute one team member one time for the year. A sub can be used for any reason and must be done no later than 24 hours before tournament day. TOY points will be calculated as stated in Rule #15. Any team using a sub for the second time and any time thereafter will not receive qualifying team points for that event.
    The TD will use discretion over any unusual circumstance that may arise causing a team to use a sub. (Example – The issues we have had with COVID-19 may require special consideration) Every effort will be made so that you can fish and abide by tournament rules regarding substitutions.

14. Payback
    Payback for the LEWT Tournaments will be at least 85% of total entry fees, and will pay back to 15% of a full field of *80 teams. Plaques will be given to the top 15% of the field.

The optional Big Fish pot is $20 per team and will pay back 100%. Plaques will also be awarded for the Big Fish winner each tournament day. The optional side pot is $100 per team and will pay back 100%.
    · Championship is $50 Big Fish and $100 Side Pot Each Day.

· NOTE: Beginning with the 2022 season, all tournament winnings and payouts will be mailed via USPS. We will no longer be handing out checks at LEWT events. Your winnings will be mailed to you within 48 hours after finalization, and sent to the address you gave us on the membership form.

15. Team of the Year Points
    Points will be awarded based on place of finish. For ALL events, 200 points will be awarded to the team that finishes first, and will drop by two point increments for each place after first. Teams competing, but not weighing, a fish in the first three events will receive two points less than the last team weighing a fish. The last event of the year will be considered the Championship, and that event will be worth 300 points for first, and will drop by three point increments for each team after first. Teams competing, but not weighing, a fish both days will receive three points less than the last team weighing a fish. Points Champion will be based on points earned in each team’s best 4 out of the first 5 events and the Championship. Points for the TOY standing will be calculated for a total of the teams best 4 Tournaments + the Championship (5 Events). You may always fish more events in an effort to increase your team’s standing. Disqualified participants will earn zero points for the tournament they were disqualified in. A team winning TOY will be declared the Big Water Walleye Championships Ohio State Champion. Only Early Bird teams will be eligible for the TOY Bonus annually. Single entries will gain TOY points and be eligible for the championship, but not eligible for the cash sponsorship bonus.

16. Protest
    The TD or any contestant has the right to protest another team or contestant. This protest must be made within 24 hours after the weigh-in. The protest must be made to the TD or CONFIDENTIALLY ONLINE (NEW FOR 2022) and accompanied by a $500.00 fee. If the protest is upheld, the fee will be returned. If it is not, no refund will be given.
    · A protest can be made for contestants observed violating any tournament rules and Ohio Fishing Rules and Regulations.
    · A protest can be made for contestants observed violating any Ohio Fishing Regulations within (3) days leading up to the start of an event. (I.E. If you are observed over rodding during pre-fishing and that violation was reported, you could be asked about your conduct on the water for the three days leading up to a LEWT event during a polygraph.)
    · NO POLYGRAPH WILL BE GIVEN ON HEARSAY OR GOSSIP
    · By agreeing to the rules you are agreeing to the results of any polygraph examination you may be given.

17. Integrity of the Circuit
    A Polygraph/VSA Test will be administered to all 1st place winners of each LEWT Event.

· All 1st place teams must Schedule their Polygraph/VSA Test no later than the Tuesday immediately following the event. You must relay this information to the TD when an appointment is made. Either teammate is subject to take the lie detector test.

The TD reserves the right to conduct random onsite/offsite Polygraph/VSA exams, or equipment inspections, including cell phones of any participating team member in order to make sure the integrity of the event is being upheld. The random teams selected to participate will be based on the final place for the day and announced prior to send-off. (I.E. Tournament Director will announce at send-off that the team placing in 3rd place today will receive a Polygraph/VSA. This will eliminate any idea that a team has been targeted.)

Refusal to comply with a polygraph or equipment inspection request will result in that team being ineligible for cash payouts and disqualified. A deceptive test will also disqualify a contestant/team and will result in that team being ineligible for cash payouts. At the discretion of the Tournament Director, those persons will be ineligible for future participation in LEWT events.

**By acknowledging you have read and understand the rules at registration, you agree to the results of the Polygraph Test.

18. Spirit of the Rule
    All rules have “loop holes”. It is the intention of the Tournament Director to provide a fair and sportsmanlike tournament. All questions or problems are to be referred to the Tournament Director. The TD has sole jurisdiction in determining the application of the rules.

19. Waiver and Hold Harmless
    All contestants in signing, or electronically signing, the tournament registration form agree to release and forever hold harmless the BWWC and the LEWT, any and all promoters, Tournament Directors, officials, agents, agencies, and organizations assisting the BWWC and LEWT tournament operation. Furthermore, all contestants agree to waive all responsibility for death, injuries, damage, liability, theft, fire or loss of any kind to entrants. By signing the tournament registration form, you are in fact signing a waiver form. Entries must be signed in order to participate.

20. NTC Qualification
    Since we do not know from year to year how many spots will be available for the NTC, they will be distributed in the following manner: First available spot will go to the Team of the Year from the prior year’s point’s standings. Spots will be allocated to tourney winners, and then down the TOY points list as eligible. Anglers must enter the LEWT as their club affiliation with the Walleye Federation. If a team has a qualifying spot from another club, and are not the LEWT Points champion, they should accept that spot if they want to be guaranteed a spot at the NTC.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Remember the guy (in WI) that had sex with a dead deer?
    Turns out there is no law that says a person can’t. (dead is ok, alive is not)
    He was convicted of indecent exposure.

Back to LEWT. A person would have to look up the actual charges and read the law. I don’t play a lawyer on the internet, but how can “theft by swindle” be charged if there isn’t a tourney rule for it?

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.