Lake Erie Walleye Tournament (Lewt)

• gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

That’s not true. Others have kept their fish. Majority do donate but they were not the only ones.

Gotcha. I thought I read they were literally the only team keeping their fish at every single event.

TH
    Participant

If they’re keeping their fish, they should have their lead levels checked.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

If they’re keeping their fish, they should have their lead levels checked.

I would doubt they actually ate those fish.

stout93
    Participant
    Becker MN

Fascinating situation really, I’m with grouse on this one, I hope these two get thru this with the most hope they can.

That’s also why I think it would be in their best interest to come clean on all of it. Find the light, realize what they did was wrong, confess to everything, and one day hopefully regain the trust of their community, one day. That will never happen if taken the easy legal way out. I get it, best not to to avoid further jail time and penalties but there’s more to life than that. This will follow them almost everywhere, what would it be worth to any of you here? Could you live like that, go to the same baitshops you did, same cafes, same bars, and people hate you, I couldn’t.

JMHO

I dunno…my small local lakes and baitshops I’m guessing nobody would recognize them and could care less. Give it a year or so and I’m guessing the same thing will happen with the larger communities and lakes.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Disagree these two are well known around Lake Erie. We are not talking about some small town no name lakes and bait shops.
    The Fall Brawl Derby alone has over 10k people registered to fish it. I would be willing to bet that almost all of them know who won and got DQ last year now.

Beast
    Participant

If they wasn’t so cheap they would of used tungsten weights. razz

Ripjiggen
    Participant

That’s got to suck…

munchy
    Participant
    NULL

The tournament director Jason Fisher (the guy cutting the fish open) was interviewed about the incident on the Ike Live Podcast. Can be found on Spotify.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

So one of them is due in court in November for domestic violence case. Currently restraining order on him from accuser.
    The other has multiple poaching cases under his belt.
    I am all about innocent till proven guilty but these two are a couple of real d bags.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

So one of them is due in court in November for domestic violence case. Currently restraining order on him from accuser.
    The other has multiple poaching cases under his belt.
    I am all about innocent till proven guilty but these two are a couple of real d bags.

Yep

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

If they wasn’t so cheap they would of used tungsten weights. razz

that’s what i thought too. i am guessing they have been putting lead in these fish for years and getting away with it all this time so they just kept at it. if they are too cheap to buy tungsten, i imagine they will not be looking for top notch lawyer counsel to save them. there is always rocks too and those couldn’t be found with a metal detector.

Coletrain27
    Participant

that’s what i thought too. i am guessing they have been putting lead in these fish for years and getting away with it all this time so they just kept at it. if they are too cheap to buy tungsten, i imagine they will not be looking for top notch lawyer counsel to save them. there is always rocks too and those couldn’t be found with a metal detector.

At least if they used rocks they could of argued that it’s a natural thing and maybe all the fish they caught ate the rocks jester

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

These guys were lucky to get out of that weigh-in without being harmed. They better Thank those police officers who showed up. Some of the guys I use to fish tourneys with would have put a a Beat Down on them chased
    They sound like real upstanding citizens jester

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I would not be shocked to hear if both of them end up getting that beat down at a later time.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I do however wonder how the police or DNR was able to just come take the boat? Because it was used while a crime was committed? They havent been charged with anything have they?

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I do however wonder how the police or DNR was able to just come take the boat? Because it was used while a crime was committed? They havent been charged with anything have they?

They had a warrant for it for the investigation. That’s it. It wasn’t repossessed or any thing.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

They had a warrant for it for the investigation. That’s it. It wasn’t repossessed or any thing.

Makes sense.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

They have been indicted See :

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) – Two men who allegedly used lead weights to win the Lake Erie Walleye Trail Tournament were indicted on several charges by a Cuyahoga County Grand Jury Wednesday.

Jacob Runyan, 42, and Chase Cominsky, 35, were each indicted on:

One count of cheating
    One count of attempted grand theft
    One count of possessing criminal tools
    One Count of unlawful ownership of wild animals
    Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael O’Malley said the unlawful ownership of wild animals charge is because of their alleged possession of fish filets on their boat.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

See post above. If that boat was used as part of committing a crime. It will be subject to confiscation. They are going to lose that boat !!!!

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Seems like there should some crime about molesting or abusing animals?? I assume he force fed them sinkers? And maybe they were already dead but does it matter?? I mean it’s a weird line to walk as we literally pay for the government’s permission to kill animals… but not willingly torture them.

ganderpike
    Participant
    Alexandria

I was always under the impression these kill tournaments donate the fish to a food shelf. Well, whoever is responsible for processing said fish to give to a food shelf would have found weights in the past right?

Im starting to think these fish in the kill tournaments end up in a grind disposal. Kinda lame.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I was always under the impression these kill tournaments donate the fish to a food shelf. Well, whoever is responsible for processing said fish to give to a food shelf would have found weights in the past right?

They permit the anglers to keep their fish in these events. Most anglers donate them, but these guys always kept theirs. Of course, now we know why.

sliderfishn
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

Most of the fisherman do, these two guys have been keeping their fish.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Im starting to think these fish in the kill tournaments end up in a grind disposal. Kinda lame.

No most of them are legit tournaments and give back to the community quite a bit. It’s an option to donate your catch not mandatory.

ganderpike
    Participant
    Alexandria

Learn something everyday, thanks guys.

stevenoak
    Participant

Sadly, when fish and game cases go to a criminal court. The cases heard before and after it may be a drive by, a stolen $30,000 vehicle of someone selling meth. The people are going to walk unscathed from the other cases. Hard for a judge to give more than a small fine to these guys. The fraud charges may carry a little consequence. I saw it a few years back with 3 rich guys, 5 limits over on doves. Game warden wanted near the death penalty that they should have got. They all got modest fines. If Clevland or bigger city is in that county. Sure, they have bigger fish to fry, pardon the pun. Best you could hope is their priors mount the case, and the judge is a sportsman.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

The two individuals have formally been charged with 5th degree felony charges of cheating, attempted grand theft, and possessing criminal tools as of 10/12/22 by the Cuyahoga County prosecutor’s office in the State of Ohio.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Funny how they can bring charges so fast against these two… but they cannot when a Hunter is involved ? smirk

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Funny how they can bring charges so fast against these two… but they cannot when a Hunter is involved ? smirk

Not quite sure what you’re referring to as far as hunters… Poaching?

But I don’t think authorities had a choice given how public and viral this became. If they didn’t act there would be more outrage.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.