Kicker Motor Handle Extension Recommendation?

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I have a Suzuki 9.9 kicker motor on my alumacraft and its sort of a pain to fish while sitting in the back running that motor for trolling. Im thinking that it could be helpful to get one of those Kicker Motor Handle Extensions so I can sit more comfortably and control the motor and fish easier. Not knowing a lot about them can anyone recommend a particular brand? Are they all universal or should I be looking at a Suzuki specific model (if they make one)? Does anyone have experience using one of these? Do they help you manage the boat better for fishing?

Thanks

404 ERROR
    MN

I have a Helmsmate extension I use in my duck boat. One thing I hate about it is how much it flex’s when the swivel is locked out. I would not buy another extension with a swivel knuckle as I never use it and it increases flex. Other than that, it works great.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I have one which I no longer use. It has the u-joint like in the link below. The u-joint can be locked out so that it works like a fixed handle. Never noticed excessive flex when I used it. There is an adjustment lever on my motor which allows a person to adjust how hard the motor turns. I will usually loosen this a bit when using the extension arm.
    I would be willing to sell mine since it really doesn’t get used anymore. Brand new condition. Make me a reasonable offer if interested.

Trolling Motor Handle

catmando
    wis

I use the minn Kota one .I read somewhere, somebody tapes a plastic baseball bat to the handle, guess it works great. DK.

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

RED neck way is a piece of pvc cut to any length!

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I’ve used the Helmsmate (linked to above from Cabela’s) on both Mercury and Yamaha kickers. I don’t have experience with Suzi kickers, but it seems universal to me, as long as it doesn’t cover the trim switch you should be fine.

The u-joint “knuckle” versions are intended for kicker motors mounted to the side of a main motor, as they allow for easier steering to the outside of the boat. They do take a little practice to get used to the feel when the knuckle’s turned over and throttle control is in the opposite direction.
    The non-jointed version is good for a tiller control main motor centered in the back of the boat where you can reach freely to either side. I’ve got friends who get by with these for kickers too, especially if they’re able to sit or stand right in front of the kicker. The bat/pvc solution works similarly to these, just looks more…interesting. ;-)

I’ve got a rear deck extension in my boat, so I extended my handle even further by using the base portion of the Helmsmate (the part that attaches to the motor handle and has the knuckle) but replacing the handle portion with a longer piece of aluminum. I just matched the diameter so it would slide over the base portion, and drilled a few holes for the pop-up retainer clips. Painted it black and added black hockey tape in the center and end for grip. Works great and I can stand 5′ away from the kicker and have full control. For this to work, you’ve got to have that knuckle tho.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.