Keel Guard Residue

• Matt Vogel

Anyone have any secret sauce to remove residue left from a keel guard? I need to put a keel guard on but there was clearly one on there previously from a different owner. I can only imagine how hard it’s going to be to remove before putting the new one on. Any recommendations for a solution to help ease my pain??

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I had to do it once. I called the company and was told to use a citrus cleaner. Don’t remember the name. It was orange.

I just did a internet search. This may work. Dewitt’s Remove It Citrus Cleaner

Either way it takes some effort.

Matt Vogel

I had to do it once. I called the company and was told to use a citrus cleaner. Don’t remember the name. It was orange.

I just did a internet search. This may work. Dewitt’s Remove It Citrus Cleaner

Either way it takes some effort.

That’s a good idea, I’ll reach out to the company too to get their recommendation!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

WD40 is pretty good at getting adhesive residue off, too.

Deuces

Goo gone or goof off. Both are good. I’ve used both on finished flooring applications with no damage. Have to be careful about how long it sits, which gets tough bc it needs to sit to penetrate and work.

AK Guy

Goo gone with elbow grease has worked on most adhesives for me.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Sounds like the keel guard has been off for a while. Those chemical solutions may work if you used them immediately after taking off the guard. After that adhesive is exposed to air for a day or two, it turns hard as a rock, like dried epoxy. Nothing worked for me.

I ended up taping off the keel guard area. (Leaving the area that will be covered by the new guard exposed) and carefully sanded off the glue. Then applied the new keel guard.

I believe you will see in the install instructions that the area should be lightly sanded prior to installing the new keel guard.

Good luck.

-J.

robby
    Quad Cities

I would test on a small out of the way section of your hull, but I use Acetone for such things on my glass boat. The Citrus stuffs are good too, but leave a residue. Goo Gone or Goof Off as previously mentioned. I would rinse, dry, and wipe with alcohol of Acetone after to clean this residue before applying new Keel Guard. I also use Acetone to remove the rub marks from the rub rail on my gunnel. Fast and easy.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

3M Stripe off wheel. I replaced my keel guard last year, and it saved me a lot of time. Well worth the $40.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

Mineral spirits works for a lot of things and if that don’t work, I try pvc cleaner next and normally don’t have to try anything else.

norge

Un Hesive will remove 3m 5200 and other of the same type of adhesives. Does a great job.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.