July update – LiveScope stutter

• sipple31
    West Central Sconni

I installed the July update (v25.00 on Echomap, v2.74 on GLS10) on my system. I took it out on the water and found LiveScope to be really laggy and stuttering.

I spoke to Garmin and they had not heard of this yet.

So if you haven’t installed it yet, be warned.
    If you have installed it, are you having similar issues?

thanks

JoeMX1825
    MN

I haven’t yet (I usually hold off a few weeks to see if any issues arise)

I haven’t heard any mention of issues on Bassboatcentral.com forums (The Garmin board has a lot of traffic there) Have you checked your battery voltage? Sometimes low voltage can cause issues…

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Hmm interesting.

My battery is a group 31 AGM, only a couple months old. It was showing 12.4 on the unit but I did not test with an actual tester.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

I found a guy on YouTube who said that when you first set noise reject to high you can experience lag for the first ~20 minutes while it calibrates itself.
    Maybe that’s all it was…
    Will report back after my Canada trip.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I found a guy on YouTube who said that when you first set noise reject to high you can experience lag for the first ~20 minutes while it calibrates itself.
    Maybe that’s all it was…
    Will report back after my Canada trip.

That’s just a side effect of High Noise Rejection in general… I only run mine at the lowest setting..

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Well my LiveScope was pretty crappy in Canada (not that we really needed it to catch fish)… and since getting back home I’ve done a bunch of troubleshooting and I believe I’ve narrowed it down to GLS version 2.74. I have updated Garmin support with my findings.

Things I’ve attempted:
    *Eliminated the GMS10 switch (Still laggy/choppy)
    *Different battery (Still laggy/choppy)
    *Different network cable (Still laggy/choppy)
    *Force re-installed latest software (power + 4 bootloader method) with only the LVS-dedicated Echomap + GLS10 connected. Update was successful. (Still laggy/choppy)
    *Rolled back to Echomap 22.10 successfully… but the GLS failed the first time. (Still laggy/choppy)
    *Re-did the rollback process and this time the GLS successfully went back to 2.61.
    *Lag gone / LVS smooth!

Will update if I hear any more…

JoeMX1825
    MN

good info! Curious to hear more about your firmware rollback experiance? (I have pretty much every GLS10 firmware version, but have been hesitant to rollback due to the risk of bricking the head unit) They’ll likely fix it in the next firmware revision this fall…2 steps forward, 3 steps back…

With Humminbird Mega Live 2.0 coming out soon, my guess is you’ll see Garmin come out with a new feature firmware update they’ve been sitting on for awhile to help counter the Humminbird 2.0 hype…

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

I snagged the firmware files off the BassBoatCentral forums… because I haven’t been keeping them on file… but I probably will going forward.

All I did was drop the files on the microSD and do the power+4 button method to get into boatloader. It’s interesting because all three of my units indicated that the “update” failed but it actually did not. I did, however, lose my internal memory. It’s as if some portion of the “update” failed so it did a factory reset or something. I guess my big point of advice would be to make sure you have everything synced-up to ActiveCaptain prior to trying. Once I got the unit fired back up and re-synced my ActiveCaptain stuff I was happy. toast

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

There’s been a bunch of Echomap updates since this issue and I have not installed. No GLS updates have been released… so I think the latest is the problematic one. I never got any sort of acknowledgement of the issue from Garmin, so I decided to poke and prod them a little bit. They gave me nothing other than saying not to update if it’s working… but the crappy thing is that there have been new features released that I could utilize and I get nagged at every turn to update. At some point this winter I may bite the bullet and update my whole LiveScope shuttle system and see if it’s still laggy… and then just roll back again if need-be.
    I also have some quickdraw community mapping that I contributed 4 months ago that has not been committed to their system. I asked them about it and they said “this can take a few weeks or a few months.” So I said “well…. it’s been four months. How much longer should I wait until I bug you guys again?” He said “middle of January after the holidays.” santa I’m 99.9% sure he just wanted to get me off chat so he wouldn’t have to dig into it.
    Lastly, they removed the ability to view quickdraw community on the web. This is now only available on the ActiveCaptain app. I used to like eScouting on my big PC screen.
    I used to sing Garmin’s praises to my fishing buddies but man… I really feel like I’ve been left out to dry lately.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.