Jig Pitching rod

• Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Looking to get a rod for mainly pitching jigs for walleyes. What are your favorites for this? Never done much of it but want to learn how to do it. Seems very productive! I should add lakes and rivers to this.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have a set up that I am using that was close to what Tom Boley was using as far as action and length. I am using a St Croix Mojo Bass can’t recall the length but close to 7ft and I think a ML. Figure if no one tells the eyes I’m using a bass rod it will be ok. Still trying to learn the art of it though. Curious to hear what the experts like. For clarity I was talking lakes not rivers not sure it matters

Dan Baker

I use the 7’6″ Tuned Up Custom Rods APEX Pro Medium-Light Extra-Fast rod. Perfect balance of power and length for jigs.

Justin Donson

What’s your price range Carter? Obviously there’s lots of options with the usual suspects. St Croix and GLoomis have great rods across all their different product lines.

Outside the box suggestions would be to explore some of the more ‘bass-centric’ rod companies, in general I’d say anything suited for drop-shotting is probably a close/decent fit. I’ve been impressed with the Phenix Feather line of rods. not too expensive, but extremely light and sensitive. Handle design is interesting though, so make sure you put a reel on one and see if you like that feel.

Curious how people feel about longer rods for pitching. I like that longer rods help with casting distance if using really light jigs, and seem to help on hooksets as well.

But with how light rods and especially rod handles are getting, I find it harder and harder to balance the rod nicely unless I slap like a 3000 size+ reel on it, which I feel like is total overkill for a walleye rod that’s gonna have 6 lb mono or like 6-8 pound braid on it.

Anyone else struggle with this? I have a couple rods I really like for jigs/lindy fishing the last couple of years:
    – Elliot 7’3 ML
    – Phenix Feather 7’7 M(is more like a ML by most standards).

The Phenix rod especially is SUPER light, really sensitive, but the reel seat is super minimalist and makes the rod pretty tip heavy. And it seems kind of counter-productive to add weights to the butt end of a rod that you bought BECAUSE it was super light.

dbright
    Cambridge

I have multiple rods in the 7’xf range and prefer them for rivers especially when it comes to bigger plastics and fish. 7’3 jt black reign is my current favorite but I am always looking for the next favorite. I do like the handle better on my Thorne predator 7’xf.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

7 ft3 ml f or m xf. I prefer both depending on what water I’m fishing when pitching jigs. Love my Elliot, and also love both my sixgill lykans

MX1825

It’s really going to make a difference if you’re pitching 1/8 oz jigs in slack/no wind or 1/2 or 5/8 oz in high current. 2 total different rods needed.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Fenwick makes a coupla good rods that you may want to check out.I believe they are in that 100-130 dollar range

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s really going to make a difference if you’re pitching 1/8 oz jigs in slack/no wind or 1/2 or 5/8 oz in high current. 2 total different rods needed.

100 percent. But also don’t over complicate it. You could go with a Fenwick, 13, st croix. Just get that 7ft to 7’3 is my preference and either ml f or m xf. Sensitivity is key. So a nicer rod is what I prefer

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have a feeling ill mainly be using 1/4 ounce and larger jigs. I was seeing that ML is fairly good up to 3/8 ounce is there any truth to that? Trying to stick with one rod. I think its worth it to put some money into it. Not that ill throw $400 into one but maybe $200ish if its worth it.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

3/8ths I go to Medium/extra fast or medium/fast.. lighter I use ML/XF… in this realm of rods.. quality really outperforms IMO….

Deuces

Don’t do much pitching on lakes. Lots of slow trolling but different presentation.

Rivers mlxf gets 1/4oz or less, mxf for everything else. I like shorter rods, more control, more feel imo, 68 to 7 range. Always seems to be some wind, keeping it tight works for me.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I saw scheels is running a pretty good deal on st croix avid walleye rods. Any issues with those? Sounds like i may run medium then.

Michael Best

I run st Croix mojo bass rods.
    The medium light is 6’10” and the medium is 7’.
    Those are my primary rods I use for lakes or rivers.
    Have been thinking about trying a 2 brothers 7’6” ML. If I am not mistaken they and Elliot are the same company.
    1/8 to 1/4 is perfect for a ML.
    Anything bigger I tend to use the medium action.
    I would say I use a 1/4 oz jig 70% of the time.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Carter, I was at Scheels yesterday and compared an Avid ML with an Elliot ML both 7’ fast action. I love my St Croix rods, but for 40$ more I went with the Elliot, it just felt a lot lighter and more balanced

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Carter, I was at Scheels yesterday and compared an Avid ML with an Elliot ML both 7’ fast action. I love my St Croix rods, but for 40$ more I went with the Elliot, it just felt a lot lighter and more balanced

Thats good insight I will give those a look too if I end up at scheels soon here.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I personally like longer rods for this. 7’-3” to 7’-6”. The rods I make for other people come in at 6’-6” to 7’-6”, fast to extra-fast action for this application. Not all blanks are measured the same and the way the backbone comes in makes a big difference. Walleye don’t care if your rod says bass on it.

But with how light rods and especially rod handles are getting, I find it harder and harder to balance the rod nicely unless I slap like a 3000 size+ reel on it, which I feel like is total overkill for a walleye rod that’s gonna have 6 lb mono or like 6-8 pound braid on it.

Rod balance is an issue with many rods out there. It is hard to feel the balance of a rod when internet shopping. Easy to compare the total weight of rods. The problem with mass production rods is they are designed for everyone. Handles are mass produced and used across multiple rods. When making a rod I ask for the reel you are going to use so I can balance the rod to the reel. A 6’-6” guy will have no problem with a longer handle whereas a 5’-6” guy will need a shorter handle that has a heaver butt cap material to help balance it out or use a shorter rod that has a shorter handle. Adding a larger reel will help balance out a rod but you are adding weight in the wrong spot. Any weight added should be in the last ½” of the rod to take full advantage of it. Some blanks are so tip heavy they won’t balance out well. Those blanks get marked up as ones I won’t order again. With a perfect balance spinning rod, one should be able to hold the rod with the reel stem in between your middle and ringer finger. When you lift up on your middle finger the rod tip should go down and when you lift your index finger the tips should go up. This is not easy to achieve. I feel less fatigued with a well balance, little heaver set up vs an unbalanced, lighter set up. You don’t notice that extra ounce of weigh vs fighting that tip drop all day.

Fun fact: Split grip rods first came around to help with the shortage and cost of quality cork. Not because of the weight reduction since that is very minimal and not in the right location.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have a set up that I am using that was close to what Tom Boley was using as far as action and length. I am using a St Croix Mojo Bass can’t recall the length but close to 7ft and I think a ML. Figure if no one tells the eyes I’m using a <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass rod it will be ok. Still trying to learn the art of it though. Curious to hear what the experts like. For clarity I was talking lakes not rivers not sure it matters

I was tooling some of my rods this weekend and wanted to clarify mine is a 7’6″ ml xf

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I have 11 G Loomis and 8 St Croix spinning rods. In the last few years I have been searching for a longer version of my favorite jig rod – G Loomis GLX SJR721 – 6′ 1 power (light). My issue is I prefer a short rear grip. If you put reel stem to reel stem my 7′ AvidX is only 4″ longer than my 6′ G Loomis.

Last 2 years bought St Croix:
    AvidX AXS70MLF
    Victory VTS73MXF
    Victory VTS710MLXF

None were “IT”.

I just bought a St. Croix LWTS73MLXF ($300). I only casted off shore a few times (lake just starting to open) and I think I found it.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have 11 G Loomis and 8 St Croix spinning rods. In the last few years I have been searching for a longer version of my favorite jig rod – G Loomis GLX SJR721 – 6′ 1 power (light). My issue is I prefer a short rear grip. If you put reel stem to reel stem my 7′ AvidX is only 4″ longer than my 6′ G Loomis.

This is very common. Just because the overall rods are longer doesn’t make the tip to reel seat longer. All that extra length could be added in the rear grip length to help balance the rod out.

sunseteyes

Elliots are in the $300 price range, but they are worth it. If you are going to splurge on one rod in your lineup, it should be your jig rod. They are probably the most well balanced rod I have ever put in my hands. Tons of options for pitching 1/4 – 3/8 oz jigs. I still like a bit shorter rod (~6’10”) for pitching. But it really depends on how/where you pitch. If you are making bomb cast across big sand/gravel flats, a longer rod like a 7’3” may be best. If you tend to make shorter casts/flips around weeds or very small, precise structure where accuracy is the game, that’s where a 6’9” or 6’10” really shines. If you get to Scheels, slap a 2500 or 3000 size reel on one of the Elliots. They almost feel lighter with a reel just because they are balanced so well.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I would say my JT Customs JTXMag Med Light rods fit the bill. I have the 6ft10 and 7ft1, bot work great for pitching jigs. My newer one (7ft1in) has the Tennessee handle allowing you to put the reel on the most comfortable point for you based on the reel weight and overall balance

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Ended up going with a st croix avid 6’8” mxf. Worked super well yesterday pitching jigs for opener. Hoping to run it more later today! Thanks for the tips!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.