Jerk

• FryDog62

Been pretty quiet here lately…

Is everyone just sitting back waiting for water temps in the 50’s, jerk baits tied on… getting trigger finger?

Or, are boats put away doing other stuff now..

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Oh,
    I thought this was thread about me.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Duck hunting has been consuming my free time lately. I plan to change that this weekend though. Jerk baits are tied on. This cool weather is just what we needed.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Duck hunting has been consuming my free time lately. I plan to change that this weekend though. Jerk baits are tied on. This cool weather is just what we needed.

Yup. I’m ready for a little blast then cast action

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I am going to try it tomorrow. Bass fishing has been tough recently. I hope the cool down helps. Will report when finished.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve been out of the bass action for awhile now. Think I am going to change that this weekend. I’m sure I’ll have a Jerkbait tied on. I think its still a little early for the prime Jerkbait bite. Then again that probably depends on the water temp. Along with the Jerkbait I’ll probably have a lipless crankbait and a spinnerbait and buzzbait tied on. Those 3 baits are usually my go to baits this time of the year till the water temps cool to the point where the Jerkbait bite takes over.

Outback
    Osage, IA

Don’t forget the walking baits. Smallies are still hitting them pretty good!!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Dads in end stage life and caring for him, daughters wedding tomorrow, killing critters and managing 3 properties. Doesn’t even leave me any time to work

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

The last three trips I have taken were slow, similar catch rates as in Aug-Sept. On the four trips before those, I got a lot of bites, with most of the fish being pike, but I was also getting steady bass action. This is on trips dating back to Oct. 6th. Topwater fishing continues not to be as good as I think it should be. That has been the story all year, with a few rare exceptions.

FryDog62

“Topwater fishing continues not to be as good as I think it should be. That has been the story all year, with a few rare exceptions.”

Do you still think the topwater bite will improve markedly or have we passed that point already?

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I’ve had good topwater fishing down to 46-degrees. I think it mostly depends on what the baitfish decide to do on a given lake. I am sure there are some tremendous topwater days to be had. I just kind of doubt it will be on Platte, which is the lake I fish the most.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Oh,
    I thought this was thread about me.

And why are you so sure it isn’t??
    devil chased rotflol rotflol rotflol chased devil

mrpike1973

Unfortunately I put my boat in temporary lock down. I usually do a lot of shore fishing on rivers and lakes for eyes or whatever hits.

FryDog62

Don’t forget the walking baits. Smallies are still hitting them pretty good!!

What size/brand are working for you on the smallies? I usually walk a Cover Pop for smb, Show Blows 125 for lmb.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I did pretty good today. Got most fish on a white jerk bait. Friggin cold when I started this morning but by noon was comfortable. Biggest bass I’ve caught in a month. Water temp 58 degrees.

Attachments:
    1. 0FB77905-FF3A-49B4-900C-210A0197D8E8-scaled.jpeg

FryDog62

I did pretty good today. Got most fish on a white jerk bait. Friggin cold when I started this morning but by noon was comfortable. Biggest bass I’ve caught in a month. Water temp 58 degrees.

Awesome, how far north for that temp?

mrpike1973

Water temp sure did drop last day on boat Thursday was 55 degrees drop of 10 degrees in one week. The eyes were on fire tonight with jerk baits from shore.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

45 mins north of Mpls near Princeton

FryDog62

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FryDog62 wrote:</div>

I was about 45 minutes North of there yesterday – 58 degree water temps. Only one on a jerk bait, rest were on swim jig/chatters.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Looks warm for a couple days with another weather change mid week and then cooler by the weekend. No snow in the forecast lol

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

While I was up in Hayward the last four days I didn’t catch a single smallmouth on a jerk. I think it will continue to get better as the temps get into the 50s. It’s always a great option in the fall.

As far as topwaters, the last three years I have had less and less success with topwaters in the fall which is odd to me as well. I don’t know why but with perfect topwater conditions in the fall, I seem to only get a fish or two. Frustrating to say the least when it used to be lights out.

Umy
    South Metro

I was in Tenstrike ( north of Bemidji) Water temps 51.5-53 on Gull Lake.
    Good northern bite but no Bass. Topwaters on though in about 2-5 FOW

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FryDog62 wrote:</div>

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I was in Tenstrike ( north of Bemidji) Water temps 51.5-53 on Gull Lake

That’s getting down there already. I think its possible that turnover just occurred on many lakes with the sudden large drop in temperature. Stratification of cooler water comes up from the bottom and mixes with the warmer surface water, cooling the entire lake down. Normally occurs in late September or early October, definitely later than usual this season due to a warm fall.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Dang, Hayward area was still around 60.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Slower for me on the bass over The Weeknd. The pike were hitting topwater. Schools of small fish getting chased and breaking the surface everywhere. Hitting the river the smallies tomorrow. Water temp is upper 50’s in Pequot. Good luck.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

River was good. Tubes and rocks were a good combo. 54 degrees

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Once in awhile it works out.

Attachments:
    1. D68D14B1-1A6D-41E5-AC52-EA80CC101770-scaled.jpeg

FryDog62

Once in awhile it works out.

Nice fish and great looking boat too. Looks like a T-rig tube did the trick!

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Great day yesterday. 43 and raining today. Hope the water temps hang in there

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.