iowaboy,big thanks.

• chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I had some issues with my motor a coupla weeks ago.I chatted with Sheldon about it and he said he could take a look at it.I arranged to run it down to him last saturday.
    I got to his shop around 10,thanks to a shiney object i missed one of my exits.I felt bad because i was an hour late.
    I got there and he had me back it in the shop and he started checking wires .I told him i did’nt expect him to look at it that day.I was impressed,and i don’t impress easily.
    I was surprised that before noon he had it figured out.I told him no hurry and he said i should be able to pick it up this weekend.I received a call\voice message yesterday of nothing but my outboard running.
    I just want to say he is a quality guy who knows his $h!t.I will be a repeat customer,and i’m 3 hours away.
    Big Thank You Sir.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I agree he diagnosed my son’s outboard motor issues and sent me the parts to repair it in my garage myself 😁 he is a amazing well rounded man with many hats I to am 3 hours away and hope to meet that man in the fUture

Iowaboy1

Awe shucks Chuck !!! when I was a younger lad I spent a heckuva lot more time than an hour trying to talk a young lass into,,,,, uh, er, ahem, well, after dinner, ( not a cheap one ) and several drinks,,,,, I diagnosed her real quick and made the necessary repairs and sometimes three or four times just to be sure.

I wasnt going to post anything about this job until Chuck had taken his baby (and what a beauty it is !!) home and give her a good ringing out to prove my work was complete, and if I have to, I will travel to sconnie to make it right if it isnt.
    however, I am very confident it will scare the poop out of ya !

several issues here that started with a bad battery which I have posted about before here and Chuck learned the hard way that it will happen as it happened to his motor.
    voltage regulator burned out from too much effort to charge a battery that wouldnt take it, from there smoked diodes in the power pack which through feed back into the timer base took out all of the electronics in this engine.
    I had to replace the stator, voltage regulator, timer base and power pack, and of course the battery.

looking at the spark plugs one cylinder hadnt been firing for some time as it was soaking wet from lack of fire to it.
    I set the base timing to spec and fired it off yesterday afternoon early.
    the ensuing smoke cloud spoke of prolonged rough running and it soon cleared out and all four cylinders settled into a smooth as glass yet throaty idle that only a V-4 can make.
    all 115 horses are begging to be turned loose and I was hoping Chuck wouldnt answer his phone when I called.

the motor had been sitting for a few minutes when I did call him and got his voice mail, I fired it while being recorded and of course in J/E style it sneezed and died but fired instantly the second go around.
    for those of you who dont know these motors it is their nature to do this, this is when you know the timing is spot on and its a touch on the lean side from being cold.
    the second firing it came to life, I let it idle a second or two and wicked the throttle a couple of times and hung up.

and now here we are, waiting on Chuck to take her home and let us know that it will indeed boil water like an Iowaboy tuned engine should.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sheldon. Is a stand up guy. We chat on the phone every couple weeks or on nights we are drinking cocktails and staying up late. He walked me through a issue I had last season over the phone. And I was able to detect and fix it thanks to him.

Great guy and I hope to run in to him soon

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I dunno, I brought my Verado in for a tune-up (it actually had a water spot on it that needed to be buffed out) got it back a year later.

Attachments:
    1. After.jpg

Deuces

Sheldon is the man. Helped my dumba$$ thru stuff many times. toast

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I agree, Sheldon is a great dude. He talked me through a lower unit rebuild and gave me the confidence to do it myself. When I had issues he offered to help me source other lowerunits and even stay at his place if I needed to come down for a working day. No one does that.

Side note SHeldon, that 97 75hp merc LU I rebuild might need to come down to you to be looked at, something just isn’t quite right at idle in forward. We’ll chat.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That’s awesome, you are the man Sheldon!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I dunno, I brought my Verado in for a tune-up (it actually had a water spot on it that needed to be buffed out) got it back a year later.

doah rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

EP looks to me like you should stop buying things sight unseen from a nice guy you just met in the bar,especially when you have been there 12 hours.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Looks to me like he swapped a better motor out for you!!! jester

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.