In Search Of a New Ice Rod

• Chandler Husbye
    Michigan Upper Peninsula (Bay de Noc area)

I have been ice fishing for sometime now and have gone through a lot of diffrent rods. I have yet to find one that does what I want and am looking for some advice. I need a rod that can handle big fish! By that I mean walleyes over 10 lbs and even a lake trout or splake. This rod needs to be able to jig heavy lures up to 1 oz. I will be using this rod mostly for hole hopping for walleyes but when the weather turns could would like it to be able to fit inside my Eskimo Evo 1 portable ice shack. I greatly appreciate any suggestions.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Have you tried contacting custom builders like tucr, dh, or thorn Bros? Pretty sure they can make whatever you want

404 ERROR
    MN

When it comes to a rod of that caliber, I have a hard time spending big coin on a rod with action similar to a 2×4. I have taken a look at the TUCR Admiral and i’m sure it’s a great rod, but I just can’t justify it. A finesse rod in L, ML and M I can justify it, but not that heavy.

Take a look at the new St. Croix Mojo series ice rods. They offer a heavy action rod in 32″ for $50.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

What are some of the rods that you have tried?

bigcrappie
    Blaine

He said 10lbs + Walleyes :0

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

He said 10lbs + <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleyes :0

How bout you show me where these 10+ lb walleyes are hanging out and I’ll buy you whatever rod you want

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigcrappie wrote:</div>

How bout you show me where these 10+ lb walleyes are hanging out and I’ll buy you whatever rod you want

Good one! lol lol

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I’m sure he’s referring to little bay de noc, I would contact tucr, decide between the commander, ltp, or admiral, maybe 32 or 34″, or just get a clam, custom rods are just so pretty though! -)

Ryan Wilson

UglyStick makes some pretty stout ice rods, cheap and practically indestructible.

You could also build your own! Very simple and you could have the gear needed to build it for less than the cost of a custom. Then you will never stop building rods lol

Brennon Nielson

id get with John at TUCR. in possibly going in a shack id say the LTP is out. id think the commander or the admiral is what you are looking for. haha but im not the expert! email John!! he has never steered me wrong before!

mazak500
    South West Michigan

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigcrappie wrote:</div>

Lake Erie if we get safe ice this year.
    i really like my 30″ MH Fenwick Aetos. Have caught multiple 10+ fish on Erie with it.

Chandler Husbye

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have used ugly stick ice rod but they always seem to have to light of tip to jig large lures.

Chandler Husbye

I fish Bay de Noc area mostly and yes there are 10 pound walleyes swimming around out here.

Bruce Keister

I just bought a new laker rod and it’s a 38 inch heavy automatic fisherman rod, great rod for the money,look it up on marine general or call them that’s the only place I’ve seen them.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

JT Custom Rods blackout would get it done for you.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have a 44″ LTP from TUCR and use it in my otter lodge. Not a big deal as long as you’re conscious about not lifting your rod to make them chase.

The LTP is a good rod for heavy lures. 1/2-2 oz. I took mine to Winnipeg last March and really liked how it handled the live target lipless baits.

I’ve caught dozens of 5-15# lake trout too.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I need a rod that can handle big fish! By that I mean walleyes over 10 lbs and even a lake trout or splake

To me ears it sounds like you just described a Commander. The Commander will put a butt-whuppin on any walleye you’ll ever catch and it is more than a match for sub-twenty pound lakers. And it isn’t a heavy club of a rod. I use the Commander on all walleye waters with spoons down to 1/8th ounce.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Chandler Husbye wrote:</div>
    I need a rod that can handle big fish! By that I mean walleyes over 10 lbs and even a <em class=”ido-tag-em”>lake trout or splake

To me ears it sounds like you just described a Commander. The Commander will put a butt-whuppin on any walleye you’ll ever catch and it is more than a match for sub-twenty pound lakers. And it isn’t a heavy club of a rod. I use the Commander on all <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye waters with spoons down to 1/8th ounce.

I will agree with James. I have a Commander and its the perfect rod. Oh and to the guy who said show you a place where you can catch 10lb walleyes…… Take a trip to Lake Winnipeg, you will have more fish of that caliber than you will ever catch in your lifetime. Thats basically what my Commander is for, is fishing Winnipeg. I might get an Admiral, but I believe the Commander is perfect. I will take that Admiral BTW if you want to buy my that rod for pointing you to a lake with 10lb walleyes as well.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

James is spot on that the Commander is exactly what you described. I bought it with the intentions of using if for jigging raps and heavy spoons but it didn’t loose any of the sensitivity for small spoons and it rarely left my hands while I was chasing marble-eyes. It’s a perfect for big fish rod but somehow it doesn’t feel like overkill while icing small fish either. You will NOT be disappointed if you choose to go the Commander route.

Will

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Not to add any overkill, but the LTP as my favorite rod, is much more than a broom stick. For the size baits you will be using and the fish you plan to target with it, the LTP will not disappoint you at all. while it is a heavy action rod, it is sensitive enough to shock you when a 3″ perch takes your bait. My favorite lure on the LTP is a 7-9 jigging rap. That said, I agree with the above comments concerning the Commander, I just wanted to pitch in my 2 cents on the LTP!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.