MWC follow-up

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Just looking for some closing thoughts on the tournament out there this weekend. Jon J., what did you think of the way the tourney was run now that the MWC is basically “under new management” with the NAFC and how about a few details on the bite. That would be much appreciated.

Also, I saw some of the big fish weights on the sauger being caught. Holy cow! 4.5 Lb’s are common and fish well over 5 Lbs showed up each day. Those are huge sauger anywhere. What’s the state record for sauger out there anyway?

I thank you in advance for any info you may be able to share with us…

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

James,

As I sit here with tail between my legs, I can tell you that I have a smile on my face. The tourney was very well run. The NAFC, Cabela’s, and the Spring Valley Walleye Club put together a great event. They deserve a pat on the back.

We rolled into town on Tuesday to road signs and banners crossing the streets saying “Welcome MWC”. All week long there were volunteers at the boat ramps to direct traffic, park trucks, launch & load boats. There were reps from the major boat/motor/equipment companies at the ramp to take care of the fishermen/women who had problems to fix. Cabela’s set up the stage with top of the line scales that measured weights to the 1000th of an ounce. They even checked every fish with a metal detector to catch any cheaters who might insert a sinker to increase their weight.

Bob “Kaz” Kaczkowski, who managed the MWC from its inception 15 years ago and is now back to emcee the rules meeting and weigh in received a standing ovation at the rules meeting. Kaz retired a couple years ago but came back. He did say he was committed to staying with the MWC for a couple more years. I think everyone glad to hear that!!

The Weather:

Tuesday and Wednesday the temps were in the mid 50’s. The grass turning green on the lawns, Robins picking crawlers out of the lawns. Thursday morning we were greeted with a boat full of snow and temps in the teens and wind huffing out of the north. (Note to file – Always cover the boat no matter how nice a day it was!!) Friday, still cool with a stiff north wind. Saturday was pretty nice with a high near 50. Sunday was cool with a morning high of 37 and dropping all day. The snow was starting as we left town. ( I guess you could call it snow. More like little ice balls!!)

The Bite:

Obviously, I can’t make an educated comment on that! We were on some nice 17-20 inch sauger up river from the launch site during pre-fishing. We were pretty confident that we could put 10-12 pounds in the boat, maybe a little more. (20-24 pounds would have been respectable) Those 17-20 incher’s did not come to our net and we had to settle for the 14-15 inchers on Saturday. Sunday, we just tanked. The big fish were coming from flats and clam beds south of the ramp. We pre-fished in those areas but did not put together any pattern.

The Problems:

We had our share. We went through three bow mounts in 5 days. Basically we did not have a t-motor during pre fishing. We were forced to concentrate on trolling. Add in frozen pumps, fouled plugs, busted equipment…..just tough. Not just us. The line at the Merc trailer was stacked up from Tuesday on… I’m not going to make excuses for our team. The good fishermen/women find a way to work through it, we did not. A big thanks to Mercury Motors and Pin-Point who sent us home in good shape for the next tourney!!

The Fish:

Tail inserted itself between my legs when those hogs started coming to the scale. Here is the scoop on how it got that way. The Ill. DNR stocks the river there. The DNR and the MWC have worked together for many years on the conservation program. They take the fish caught at weigh-in and strip the eggs and milt. The resulting hatch is put back into the river. The catch rates have gone up every year since the MWC has had a tourney there. Unlike many tourny sites, the locals love to see us fishermen/women there. When the MWC/DNR are done, there are many millions of Sauger back in the river than there were when we showed up. I’m not sure what the state record is for Sauger. But I’d bet it came from Spring Valley!!

Notice I say Fishermen/WOMEN…. There are some gals out there fishing these tourneys that can handle a boat, back a truck, hook/net a fish as good or better than most guys. Look out…times are a changing. It won’t be long before you read a that a female team has won!! And that is a good thing in my book.

J.

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

Thanks for the great review. The weather did not treat the tourney well but I see that some people had their spots picked well. As James wrote on another topic , someone , somewhere are on the fish. Next time it could be you.

Dino

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the report Jon. I’m told that the more years you fish it the better it gets as you learn the spots that way. Some of these MWC Pros have fished that area for the last 15 years as the 1st. tourney is always there. Same with the rest as they are at alot of the same places as in the past. Plus you are also fishing against the locals in those tourneys who know where the fish are. Its alot tougher circuit than alot of people think for those reasons. Proud of ya Bud.

Kerry Harvey
    Brownsdale, MN.

Hey Jon J, Thanks for the info. It will get better…..Kerry

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Bill,

Thanks for kind words. You are right. There are a lot of good sticks out there. Congrats to John Dalzot Gary Dalzot and all who ended up “In The Money”.

Our team needs to work out a few kinks and we will do better next time out.

J.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

This was your first tourney together with Friebel wasn’t it? Those first ones can be horrible from some of the stories I’ve heard. And not that you guys won’t eventually be butt-kickers…. but its as important to learn how to fish with each other as a team as it is to learn to fish these new tournament waters thrown at you guys.

I’d be willing to bet your finishes consistently improve throughout the season as you become more familiar with each other.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Yes, first tourney together……actually a lot of first’s. At this point, there is only room for improvement!!

J.

BobKidd

Jon J.

Good report back on the tournament. The Spring Valley Walleye club host an excellant Tournament every year, with over 200 citizens helping. Always said with that kind of support from your community you can do wonders and they have had that support for 16 years.

The sauger fishing continues to get better every year. I think a lot of this goes back to the fishmen. 20 years ago we took fish home, today we are much more conservative and only take a few for meals allowing many more spawners to do there thing. The fish hatchery personnel and biologist has done an excellant job of maintaing the population. During the fall surveys they normally see 40/50 fish per hour (my understanding is that anything above 20 per hour is consider good) Now you want to hear something even better. Below the Lagrange Dam located 80/100 miles south of Starved Rock the DNR says the Sauger population is better than the Peoria pool. There survey results have been 80 to 100 fish per hour. That section of the river is mainly catfisherman and nobodys fishs for saugers. We have been thinking about having a tournament down there and see what happens. The current state record for sauger is 5# 12.5 oz. came out of the Mississippi river.

Considering the equipment problems you had, you fellows faired well and was able to adapt and still catch some fish. Also, the field of 209 teams had some of the best jiggers in the mid west. Good luck in your future tournaments.

Bob

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.