The Kings have shown up early

• Addiction
    IL/WI Border

Saturday we got started at 5:30am, I set up just inside the first hill and trolled east. I had good marks but now hits, we went almost an hour with out a hit, and from the radio is sounded like every one else was on fish. I had the most marks from 80-90fow so I worked that depth. As the reports on the radio started to sound like the bite had slowed for every one, we started to pick up fish. For the next hour we had a good bite and not much traffic around us. We stated right in that area from the state line down to 28.5. The full cores with blue dolphin and circus freak were the 2 studs of the day. The deep riggers(75 – 80)kovorkian and smurf also took a few fish. The big fish of the day came on the #ball rigs with a purple knight flasher and a mountain dew twinke rig. Then the traffic seemed to close in on us and the bite slowed down. We also had some Coho action on the shallow dipsy with action flashers and green peanut flies. We had a slow started and few fish that came unbuttoned but we still ended up 10 for 17 with the big fish going 17.5#

Saturday afternoon I went right back to the water I was fishing in the AM and the marks were still there. Plus we only had 4 other boats working the same water. I set up pretty much the same spread as I did for the am trip but I pulled one of the deep dipsy and replaced it with a wire dispy and a meat rig. The lead core had slowed, but the deep riggers with Kevorkian and the meat rigs picked up the slack. The action was not as fast as I would have liked, but we were getting hit, the problem was getting fish to the box. Even the meat rig was getting hit, but they were not staying hooked up. About midway into the trip the wire ball rig started to sing – all the way out form 180 to 460 – and the battle was on – 20 minutes later we could see it was a good king but he was not ready and took off again. Charlie was able to wear the king down and we got the first 20+ king in the box. As the sun started to drop I was looking for the bite to pick up, but it was not to be. So we headed in going 6 for 14 with a 20.5# king

Sunday we woke up to rain, but Rich and his group couldn’t wait to get on the water. So we headed out to the same spot I had been fishing the past few trips. Right away we had a few quick hookups and put a few fish in the box. We had gotten pretty far south and east of the bite, so we worked our way back to that 80-90fow from the state line to about 28.5 and we got back into fish. No 1 set up really was better then others today, every rod but the deep dipsy with a flasher and fly got but. We did pick up a nice bow on a board with little orange dodger and a peanut fly. Darker colored spoons below 50′ and the leadcore with blue dolphin and circus freak and action dodger and peanut flys all took fish. We did a few fish come unbuttoned, and we were just short a brown for a grand slam. We ended up 13 for 19, and now that I think about it for the last 3 trips the guy that booked the trip got the big fish of trip

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nice photos, minus the hats of course…

big g

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.