My Son’s PB

• bforristall

My son Landon caught his PB and blew mine out of the water. The sauger is 25″ and 5 lbs! Caught on a pink and white crappie jig in 3′ of water. Son said she was hugged tight against a log. A couple of photos and released back to her log. This is where I get confused, was she still on a nest? The water was 68 degrees. I don’t fish for the toothy one’s much…thought you gentleman would have an explanation. She did have a “mushy” belly. But truly a wonderful fish for the boy! He loves to tell everyone that he has caught a bigger sauger than his dad and grandpa…

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Probably not on a nest. At this temp the spawn is over, but walleyes love wood. And nice fish.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

This is where I get confused, was she still on a nest? The water was 68 degrees.

Saugers don’t build nests like bass or bluegills. On many pools saugers will often spend summers in shallow backwater areas.

Congrats to your son on the PB sauger. At 25″ that is a dandy.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Congrats to Landon!!

putt2winn
    Eau Claire, WI

Very nice fish. If thats in Illinois thats only 12.5 oz’s off the state record.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Record or not, that’s one heck of a fish!
    Congrats to your son Landon on the catch and the release.

Very impressive!

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Quote:

My son made me feel better by saying that it didn’t matter, because he knew he had caught it with pictures!

That Son of yours is going to grow up being the kind of sportsman you will be proud of!

Congrats to you Landon!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

That Son of yours is going to grow up being the kind of sportsman you will be proud of!

Congrats to you Landon!

Sounds like he’s already there.

sandmannd

That’s an awesome fish record or not. Saugers that big are rare indeed. Sounds like you are raising him on a great sportsmen’s mentality. Tell him congrats on the fish and his way of thinking will ensure many fish in the future. Great job!!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

Congrats to you Landon!

Sounds like he’s already there.

x2!!!

Mark

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

That really is an awesome story all around. Fantastic pic as well. That smile says it all! At 25″ on this area of the Mississippi, I think dad, grandpa, and nearly all other anglers will have a tough time besting it. It is so cool that Landon wanted to release it as well. You’ve got a true young sportsman on your hands.

hambone870
    Illinois Wisconsin Border

passing down the love for the outdoors from generation to generation. congrats on the big fish!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.