If you were considering an EV (electric vehicle) NOW is the time to buy

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The New Auger thread suggests otherwise.

jwellsy

I wonder if you can rebuild EV batteries like you can take an M18 pack apart and replace the individual bad cells.

There was an article this last week about how fast used EV values have been dropping and that most owners are way under water on how much they owe and how much they’re worth.

I’ve heard rumors that the batteries won’t charge if they’re too cold.

So far to me EVs just seem disposable and winter unreliable.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I wonder if you can rebuild EV batteries like you can take an M18 pack apart and replace the individual bad cells.

There was an article this last week about how fast used EV values have been dropping and that most owners are way under water on how much they owe and how much they’re worth.

I’ve heard rumors that the batteries won’t charge if they’re too cold.

So far to me EVs just seem disposable and winter unreliable.

Certain batteries won’t charge if they’re too cold. That isn’t just for EVs. Lithium marine batteries can’t be charged in cold temps either. That’s why some of them come with a battery heater.

I assume most people with an EV here in the north have a heated garage to park in at night in the winter.

CaptainMusky

Comparing the issues with solar and wind power to EV vehicles is a massive stretch. They really have nothing to do with one another. Wind power is terrible, solar is less bad. Again going from MN to TX nearly half the windwills were not spinning. It’s a fallacy that it will work. Solar does but yes the disposal at end of life is not good.

CaptainMusky

I’m sure it can be done if you are so inclined. Like I mentioned my son’s roommate is making battery packs to make an electric Ford festiva. Kinda dangerous to be doing that indoors from what I’ve read though.

FinnyDinDin

EV are not environmentally friendly when you analyze all factors.

I don’t want my tax dollars funding this garbage.

Our government can’t stop climate change. It has occurred prior to humans and always will even when we are wiped out and gone from this rock.

CaptainMusky

My son just plugged it in for the first time. Driving it around yesterday he used 3% battery. He charged for around 16 hrs and gained 25% battery. This is just regular outlet probably using a subpar extension cord too. He calculated it cost him $1.50 for 25%. To charge from empty it would cost $7.48. his other car would cost him 30 in gas per week.
    I need to mention that he charged this on regular household outlet but the charging system was set to the low power mode so this is the absolute slowest it would ever charge. I believe he said it was 8 amps. They are going to rewire the garage this Spring to upgrade because his roommate wants to use a welder.

jwellsy

Are auto and home insurance companies compensating (higher rates) for all the catastrophic fires EV’s have been having?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I gotta say. At this point if they gave me one for free, I’d either decline. Or take it and sell it for whatever I could get for it.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Wonder how much the taxpayer will be kicking in when they relize they need to create more tax for the loss of gas tax from the EV.

JoeMX1825
    MN

it’s funny how the opinions on this thread would change if a bird crapped on a refinery in Saudi Arabia and caused world panic forcing gas to shoot back over $5+ a gallon…I’m all for options, nobody is stopping anybody from buying a gas vehicle…our next vehicle will likely be an electric model…

CaptainMusky

Wonder how much the taxpayer will be kicking in when they relize they need to create more tax for the loss of gas tax from the EV.

License tabs are higher on EVs than gas cars to somewhat recoup some of the money but obviously not all. I read that Ford loses 32k per F150 lightning they sell. Definitely not a money making proposition for them.
    My son is still loving his Bolt. Has 350 miles on it and has only used the phase 1 charging. Overnight he will gain about 80 miles of range. Granted its not very cold right now so in the brutal cold that would be less, but summer should be better.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i still cant imagine how this EV is environmentally friendly/Green. is the price of these vehicles really saving money in the long run?? up front maybe on gas.but…..

to get away from fossil fuels????? that electricity from that outlet comes from somewhere??? the materials to build them windmills, solar panels, to discard wore out materials…..

i dont know i just dont see it.

i’m not dissin on anyone but i have nver seen reasonable explainations to this!!!

CaptainMusky

i still cant imagine how this EV is environmentally friendly/Green. is the price of these vehicles really saving money in the long run?? up front maybe on gas.but…..

Theyre actually worse the gas vehicles because of the mining and such required for lithium and lack of way of disposing/recycling used batteries.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Theyre actually worse the gas vehicles because of the mining and such required for lithium and lack of way of disposing/recycling used batteries.

Yes, but we’re already raping the earth of fossil fuels already anyways, so what’s the difference. Not like the extraction and use of oil isn’t harming the planet.

People love to complain about switching to EV cars but yet virtually everyone on here is already using a battery powered auger. Its hypocrisy at its finest. Same with lithium batteries for a boat. The part I don’t care for is when the government MAKES people switch through mandating it, like California is doing in the future. I think people should be able to make this decision on their own based on need, demand, and use because an EV doesn’t make sense for every driver on the road.

I’m not against or for using an EV/hybrid which is why I bought a hybrid last November. The selling point for me on that vehicle was the increased mileage per tank over a straight up gas SUV. I simply got sick of buying gas all the time. Its my wife’s daily driver and she primarily does her driving in the city. The hybrid actually gets better mileage during city driving than on the highway.

Unfortunately, only plug in hybrids qualify for this rebate. Mine is not a plug in. The Rav4 Hybrid Prime is a plug in that would qualify and last I checked there is about a 2 year waiting list for a new one.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

rotflol yea raping the earth of fossil fuels, and burying the aftermath of toxic materials back in…..got it!!!!! redface doah

riverbassman

The hate for EV’s in this forum is so deep. I always ask why do you care? Why be so negative? His son is excited and they make it work…. does someone question every move some of you make when you buy something they dont agree with? have a cup of coffee and scroll on vs. trying to make this the most negative thing ever.

riverbassman

People love to complain about switching to EV cars but yet virtually everyone on here is already using a battery powered auger. Its hypocrisy at its finest. Same with lithium batteries for a boat. The part I don’t care for is when the government MAKES people switch through mandating it, like California is doing in the future. I think people should be able to make this decision on their own based on need, demand, and use because an EV doesn’t make sense for every driver on the road.

SPOT ON! Now, numerous will say comparing a phone/auger to a car is not comparing apples to apples….. they must use different lithium! LMAO

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

SPOT ON! Now, numerous will say comparing a phone/auger to a car is not comparing apples to apples….. they must use different lithium! LMAO

Well you said so here we go they are not compariable, auger’s were not subsidized by the tax payer! If I’m wrong I apoligize.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

yea i never said i hated them…..the whole concept of all this was to go green…… explain to me how that works if you gotta rip up the earth to get those said materials, then bury the garbage/junk back in.

CaptainMusky

Well you said so here we go they are not compariable, auger’s were not subsidized by the tax payer! If I’m wrong I apoligize.

Ethanol in gas is as well.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>supercat wrote:</div>

Ethanol in gas is as well.

Well I drive a diesel

riverbassman

Nice try, but I wasnt talking about tax payer subsidies OR Gov. mandates. I was talking about the hate for lithium and how it doesnt work for cars but powers numerous devices all are using while complaining.
    On another note, the Government has been offering subsidies/handouts for years on similar things…. cash for clunkers was a program I remember…. also appliance swaps for more efficient appliances, etc..
    I guess some never take government money, I apologize.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

auger’s were not subsidized by the tax payer! If I’m wrong I apoligize.

To your point on that, I agree. I don’t think governments should subsidize them or mandate them.

But used auger and marine lithium batteries are waste just like EV batteries are, so that point is valid. Waste is waste.

I do think that eventually there will be more EVs on the road in the future. We can’t just make a switch cold turkey though. Our infrastructure simply isn’t ready for it, and can’t handle it. We should also find a way to recycle lithium batteries and/or their components, just like we recycle the cores of lead acid or AGM batteries.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Nice try, but I wasnt talking about tax payer subsidies OR Gov. mandates. I was talking about the hate for lithium and how it doesnt work for cars but powers numerous devices all are using while complaining.
    On another note, the Government has been offering subsidies/handouts for years on similar things…. cash for clunkers was a program I remember…. also appliance swaps for more efficient appliances, etc..
    I guess some never take government money, I apologize.

You can build a lot of small devices for one vehical battery.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Some people here can’t help themselves. It’s just too fun to beat the same “dead horse” of EV cars time and time again on any thread that may pop up. I have to assume these are the same people that have a bank of 8-10 tried and true stories that they bore everyone to death with at any gathering they ever attend.

I long for the days when EVs are one of the biggest concerns I have to feel strongly about and get worked up over. For now, I’ll stick to not giving a ____ what other people choose to drive. Spend your money as you see fit. EVs are great for some, and not for others just like almost anything else in life.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Yes, but we’re already raping the earth of fossil fuels already anyways, so what’s the difference. Not like the extraction and use of oil isn’t harming the planet.

I’m not against or for using an EV/hybrid which is why I bought a hybrid last November. The selling point for me on that vehicle was the increased mileage per tank over a straight up gas SUV. I simply got sick of buying gas all the time. Its my wife’s daily driver and she primarily does her driving in the city. The hybrid actually gets better mileage during city driving than on the highway.

Unfortunately, only plug in hybrids qualify for this rebate. Mine is not a plug in. The Rav4 Hybrid Prime is a plug in that would qualify and last I checked there is about a 2 year waiting list for a new one.

We all know you just bought a hybrid.. of course you have to defend. Just think for a minute of all the petroleum being used to produce one battery for your green car. I am talking the machinery to mine and the products to assemble. Couple this with a big chunk of hazardous waste at the end of the line… until all minerals are mined with electric vehicles, its going backwards. Your auger argument is so off and not the same. Nobody is subsidizing auger purchases, or drills or whatever.. just EVS and homes at this point.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Always laugh at the group that believes you need an incentive to make a change. If you want to change something spend the money and make the world better.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.