If they kneel during the Anthem I may be done watching

• Bob Erfish

I’m going to watch football no matter what the players choose to do before, during, or after the game.

If you were a professional football player and wanted to raise awareness of social injustice what better time than when you are in front of the most people. It honestly just makes sense for them.

In my own opinion, which ain’t worth much, I think people of all walks of life just get offended way to easy. Where’s the outrage to the few people in the stands every game walking up or down the aisle, eating a hot dog, or just flat out not paying attention to the national anthem? Isn’t that just as disrespectful?

What bothers me more than any protest is the NFL pretending to care about the military. All these flyovers, and acts of patriotism on the field is not a product of overwhelming support from the NFL, the military pays for that. I’m not offended by kneeling, but I am appalled that tax payers pay billionaires millions of dollars to pretend to be patriotic.

Reef W

Lay out in detail just how each and everyone of us should feel and act.

Telling people how they should feel and act is what this thread is about.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

The NFL will really miss you James! I made over 100k watching the NFL last 2 years so I can’t wait for it to start.

FYI there not knelling to show disrespect to those that died for it

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I figured I would wake up this morning and see a thread about this. Its 9:43 now. I figure this will be up to 100 responses by 10:15 with nothing accomplished except a whole lot of fellow fisherman with sore butts. If u wanna watch football watch football, if you don’t then don’t. Nobody cares

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Why do people always drag the troops into this? Anyone who has served in the military and would criticize a silent, peaceful protest doesn’t really understand what they signed up for. If anything, kneeling during the anthem for a clearly stated cause while others hate and criticize you is a perfect example of expressing the freedoms the US military defends.

For whatever it’s worth, my wife and I and countless others are not disrespected at all by kneeling or peaceful protest – we are encouraged that we were a small part of serving the ideals of freedom that define this country.

Gitchi Gummi

Hopefully Trumps blatant disrespect for the national anthem as displayed here (https://youtu.be/hBjpPH2wmbQ) upsets you all as much as the “knelling” by NFL players during the anthem. If not, please explain.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

What’s the line on weather Drew Brees knells week 1?

I’m going 3/1

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Why do people always drag the troops into this? Anyone who has served in the military and would criticize a silent, peaceful protest doesn’t really understand what they signed up for. If anything, kneeling during the anthem for a clearly stated cause while others hate and criticize you is a perfect example of expressing the freedoms the US military defends.

For whatever it’s worth, my wife and I and countless others are not disrespected at all by kneeling or peaceful protest – we are encouraged that we were a small part of serving the ideals of freedom that define this country.

Winner right here.

Besox

Jake: “Never about the flag” that is he problem. For many it is all about the flag and what that means to the individual. It’s hard to to told what is and is not important to anyone. If it is offensive to a large group of people tearing it down is probably not a good decision.
    Equal rights can happen when all are respected as equals.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Hells knells. I’m all for discourse but I just don’t think this is the place for it, certain topics anyway.

Go outside, take in the beauty and enjoy life.

39degrees

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tindall wrote:</div>

Winner right here.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tindall wrote:</div>

Winner right here.

Right on. My dad passed away in 2018 at age 93. He enlisted and fought in the battle of the buldge WWII European theater. He fought so guys like kappernick have the opportunity to peacefully protest. Check out tommy smith, john carlos, and peter norman 1968 olympics. They too got their message across, peacefully.

Fish To Escape

Hopefully Trumps blatant disrespect for the national anthem as displayed here (https://youtu.be/hBjpPH2wmbQ) upsets you all as much as the “knelling” by NFL players during the anthem. If not, please explain.

I have never heard a good explanation of why this failed to cause even a little outrage

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jake wrote:</div>

I have never heard a good explanation of why this failed to cause even a little outrage

When have you ever heard a good explanation for any of the outrageous things he does from his base?

Beast

I started this thread to state my opinion, The flag still means something to me , sadly I feel it doesn’t to many, I’ve been accused of being racist white guy, Trump haters have jumped in to get their 2 cents in now, this thread didn’t have anything to do with any of that nonsense. Just my opinion.
    With that being said, is there any wonder why the nation is divided? No one will listen or respect a different view than their own.
    Have at it, there seems to more hate from those that preach down to those that have a different view and a different political lean than any radical organization that you see on any news cast.
    have at, I’m done.

Fish To Escape

Seems disingenuous to act surprised that this thread went the way it did

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Why don’t we ask a veteran if they think kneeling during the national anthem is acceptable or unacceptable? Those are the men and women that help give us our daily freedoms. Their opinion should mean the most on this subject.

I personally don’t care for it. But is it gonna stop me from watching? Hell no. NFL Sunday Ticket is something I look forward to every week in my recliner and I’m not gonna let someone take that from me if I have any control over it.

Kaepernick isn’t in the NFL anymore because he’s plain and simple just NOT GOOD enough. He’s out of shape and he doesn’t know any of the playbooks. Teams would rather sign a no namer off the practice squad than sign him. Plus I think most teams and coaches see him as a distraction. Distractions don’t help you win.

39degrees

I started this thread to state my opinion, The flag still means something to me , sadly I feel it doesn’t to many, I’ve been accused of being racist white guy, Trump haters have jumped in to get their 2 cents in now, this thread didn’t have anything to do with any of that nonsense. Just my opinion.
    With that being said, is there any wonder why the nation is divided? No one will listen or respect a different view than their own.
    Have at it, there seems to more hate from those that preach down to those that have a different view and a different political lean than any radical organization that you see on any news cast.
    have at, I’m done.

Personally the flag means a lot to me. I have four that represent relatives who were veterans that have passed away. I have two more that we display near our front door. I have another that my parents purchased that has 48 stars. To me the american flag is a symbol of a great country that cherishes freedom. Including the freedom to peacefully protest.

Besox

“with liberty and justice for all” Seems like someone is missing the point of the flag?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    I am laxing my stance on kneeling in wake of what has gone on. If you are in line and kneeling I am fine with it. But I think I recall some players sitting on the bench and not being attentive to the anthem. That ain’t cool.

Kaepernick initially started the protest by sitting on the bench during the anthem. He then met with former Green Beret Nate Boyer to discuss the issue after Boyer penned an open letter.
    They agreed that kneeling would be more appropriate and respectful.

Well documented online if you wish to read more into it.

What more is there to read when you just explained it.

Gitchi Gummi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jake wrote:</div>

Still waiting for beast or dutch to respond to this. If they have as much a love for the flag and anthem as they proclaim, this should outrage them.

Gitchi Gummi

Drew Brees quoted response to Trump re: kneeling. I’ve never seen someone backpedal so fast.

Through my ongoing conversations with friends, teammates, and leaders in the black community, I realize this is not an issue about the American flag. It has never been. We can no longer use the flag to turn people away or distract them from the real issues that face our black communities.

We did this back in 2017, and regretfully I brought it back with my comments this week. We must stop talking about the flag and shift our attention to the real issues of systemic racial injustice, economic oppression, police brutality, and judicial & prison reform. We are at a critical juncture in our nation’s history! If not now, then when?

We as a white community need to listen and learn from the pain and suffering of our black communities. We must acknowledge the problems, identify the solutions, and then put this into action. The black community cannot do it alone. This will require all of us.”

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

“She grew up in an Indiana town, had a good looking momma, who never was around…”

big_g
    Isle, MN

Do people know the definition of systemic ?

Bob Erfish

Why don’t we ask a veteran if they think kneeling during the national anthem is acceptable or unacceptable? Those are the men and women that help give us our daily freedoms. Their opinion should mean the most on this

I believe a veteran has weighed in with the opinion of not being offended.

I don’t understand why someone has to be a “Trump hater” to not be offended by kneeling during the anthem. Trump himself had shown disrespect to the anthem and he got himself voted in as president, likely gaining a majority of votes by the group offended by kneeling…

I’m anti- falling in line with a political party so much so that you over look all the shady, disgusting things the people leading the party do. The liberal battle cry is “believe all women, unless they accuse Biden”. The Trump supporters blast Biden even though they elected Mr. “Grab them by the *****”. None of these a holes should have any supporters.

Bob Erfish

Do people know the definition of systemic ?

Doubt it, or it wouldn’t be getting used so often. If Derek Chauvin was a product of the system, every cop would be kneeling on someone’s neck till they died. The problem is localized, not systemic.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I haven’t read through everything yet. But don’t you think a team or both teams taking a knee during normal play for 60 seconds. 5 minutes, something deliberate, right in the middle of play would grab more attention, and not the negative attention? Just an idea. If anyone here is in charge, pass it along.

Mike J
    Wright County

This thread should get even better as Saturday night drags on.

39degrees

Bottom line when I started this tread it was about respecting the flag, But some are so hell bent on making this about racism, maybe they feel it should be, maybe it makes them feel good like they are a part of Change. Maybe because it’s the flavor of the day, But this is the country we grew up in, right or wrong with it’s flaws, and there’s allot worse places to live.
    The flag represents this country, Don’t disrespect it for a cause, work for your cause.

You are calling out “some are hell bent on making this about racism”. But aren’t both the kneeling during the anthem and Goodell’s recent statement which you believe is “caving” clearly about racism. You mention both in your original post. Therefore, isn’t the original post about racism? I dont get it.

Bob Erfish

I haven’t read through everything yet. But don’t you think a team or both teams taking a knee during normal play for 60 seconds. 5 minutes, something deliberate, right in the middle of play would grab more attention, and not the negative attention? Just an idea. If anyone here is in charge, pass it along.

Right after the first snap take a knee for 8 minutes 46 seconds. Much more attention grabbing than the national anthem. How do we get in touch with Kaepernick to tell him this brilliant idea?

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 205 total)

The topic ‘If they kneel during the Anthem I may be done watching’ is closed to new replies.