IDO Show Ideas, Topics, Tips, Tricks and Shortcuts

• Rob Gloudemans
    Appleton

I think doing a lake in Northern Wisconsin like Vilas County/Oneida County/Forest County…somewhere in that area…might be good for a show. There are a ton of good fishing lakes in that region. Just a thought

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Just to touch on BigWerm’s post…

Not actually a my boat vs. his boat… but I like the idea of a friendly competition on the same body of water with two boats and maybe two staff guys per boat…

All the time still sharing tips and tactics that work for the species of the day !!

Friendly completion X2

I’d like to see live updates to the competitors as the “tourney” went on too.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Need a show in the IGL’s…. Spirit and/or Okoboji. The lakes are deep, the water is clear, and they are big enough that you won’t cause harm by getting on a good bite.

FryDog62

How about Joe Scegura and me in one boat and Dave K and an IDO member in the other boat… donation to a charitable organization of the winning team’s choice? Maybe a lake near Alex for walleyes, or a river near St. Cloud for smallmouth?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

How about a show with kids and our overlooked Ladies, there is nothing more fun than watching our daughters sons and wives enjoy the outdoors on hot bite.

kabefisherman11

Has anyone ever done an ice fishing show on lake kabetogama or namakan? I’d like to see that one, lots of water to try up there.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Not actually a my boat vs. his boat… but I like the idea of a friendly competition on the same body of water with two boats and maybe two staff guys per boat…

All the time still sharing tips and tactics that work for the species of the day !!

Let’s take this idea one step farther how about two staffers and two members, one staffer and one member per boat for a friendly competition. whistling

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

You’re going

You’re going down Koonce! smash smash

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

How about 4 – 6 IDO staff members take noobs aka never fished before out on a lake at a time of year where many techniques work. Figure out some unique competitive idea where maybe the number, size, targeted species, etc are rewarded via the amateurs catch. Thus rewarding the pro staff’s ability to teach quickly. Would something like this help grow our favorite sport by teaching MANY how to teach the sport of angling in ways that equal success as well as exploit the complete joy of a day in the boat. With the exception of foul weather. Would defeat the purpose IMHO.

The uncut derbies with teams from different provinces was refreshingly new for me. Held my attention combined with their unpredictable, yet effective personalities… WI vs ND, MN vs SD, winners compete for honor of best quad state angler?

Makes me anxious for next season… peace

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Nighttime BIG cat show on the Mississippi. 1st half of the show is obviously how to search for prime locations, what to use for bait, catching bait (bluegills (in WI), or bullheads, or suckers), then setup and then catching.

Watching James pull in a true 50# flathead would be great!

Brandon M

Salmon fishing on Lake Michigan or Lake Ontario ( you wont catch any salmon bigger unless you go to the west coast), Lake Nipigon, Nipigon River Brook trout youd have to film it before the season closes on Labor Day weekend, Bay of Quinte walleye in Ontario. Maybe some land locked salmon if you can find some? Most likely Quebec area, or Maine? Upstate NY? Lake St Clair musky, detroit river spring walleye fishing. St Mary River (connecting Superior to Georgian Bay) Salmon in the fall time? http://www.northernontario.travel/sault-ste-marie/gone-fishing-four-seasons-of-fly-fishing-in-the-st-marys-rapids

Sorry guys lots of my ideas require a lot of travelling from your area I think.

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

Thank you to everyone who has submitted, commented and shared your opinion. I have logged each and every comment and we hope to have some really cool stuff to share with each of you throughout the year here shortly! THANK YOU!!

Alex James Hartman

id like to see a show on how to fish bodies of water that are heavily fished, and have a lot of boat traffic such as metro lakes, that are well known to most anglers and show what kind of presentations work in the summer time to get fish to bite on the reaction strike, whether it would be fishing lipless cranks or jerk baits or rippin raps, or anything else that would trigger a reaction strike, whether its fishing bass walleye or pike would love to see a show like that .

Kentucky Boy 75
    Champlin, MN

I’m a metro shore fisherman who loves to fish drop shot. I would love to see just how far you can push the limits of how to present a drop shot rig. Try targeting different species from different types of terrain resulting in using unconventional setup. Like working super dirty water through brush piles on heavy braid spooled on bait casters to super clear water site fishing on ultra lite setup.

bruce anderson

I would really like to see you back on rainy lake summer or winter. Walleyes or crappies.

Brandon M

Another neat new thing you guys could do is gar pike in the Ottawa River area? If I remember correctly you did one show down south with alligator gar? These gar in the Ottawa would be long nose. A great guide for it is the current record holder who also happens to guide for them. And writes for some mags and runs a few forums as well. Rob Jackson http://www.rjnbirdeesoutdooradventures.ca/

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

A bit more “how to” and “why”. I know you have your sponsors to take care of but I think you can do that here. i.e. if you are using an X-Rap, why did you choose it, what are all the different ways to retrieve an X-Rap, why each retrieve, how you choose to use a number 6 vs an 8 or 10.

You already do more of this than any competing program. But in this case, more is better.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Agreed ptc. TOO many shows just show the hosts catching fish. While we enjoy that (and fully understand these are clips placed together from days of fishing sometimes) it is sooo refreshing when a host takes the time to explain. We can change the channel at any time and watch fish after fish getting caught. By now, we all know what they look like and social media keeps us up-to-date on the big ones that are caught here and there.

I would be delighted to see a show where the hosts get skunked. It happens! We have all been there, but if he/she took the time to explain why, or when baits were switched, what different tactics were being deployed, the advanced use of today’s electronics and of course how to put all that info together, I think each and every one of us would appreciate the time and dedication involved and the chance to get skunked is still there!

We know time and dedication already exists behind the scenes (as others have mentioned), but seeing is believing.

Great show. Can’t wait to see what the new season brings!

shockers
    Rochester

Tons of great ideas. I second the many comments on the great show and production value you guys already put forth. And kudos to you for asking for feedback.

One thing I’d like:

During/after each show you sometimes briefly stop and highlight lures/lines/rods/reels used. I think it might be nice to have – with each episode – a one-page PDF/summary a guy could print out for reference. On each summary would be the lures used, lines, tips/tricks (bullet format), when the episode aired (in case you wanted to look at it again later)….that sort of thing. Heck, I suppose you could even somehow insert a coupon on each summary from IDO sponsors. And, of course, you could do this in electronic format too in case you just wanted to save it quick to your phone.

Thanks and looking forward to the new episodes.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Kids! Kids! Kids!
    They are the future of what we do best!
    Do an episode that shows a dad on a budget getting his kids on the water.
    Ice and summer shore fishing!

Nick Meyer

Lake Pepin Summer Walleyes/Saugers ..or River wingdams on Mississippi . Tight lines guys and keep the memories rollin on the water!!

Zach Mergen

I would like to see a detailed description of how you guys choose where to fish on new bodies of water and why you chose the places you did. I have learned a lot from watching the show. Keep up the good work.

Wesley Lueck

First off the show is great as is! I think some episodes showing the progressions an angler takes in finding the fish on different types of water (i.e reservoirs, small lakes, large lakes, rivers) would be interesting since we’re always looking for new honey holes.

hless_jon
    SW Wisconsin

I love the show and I make sure that my DVR captures it if I do not have time to see it when the network shows it. with that said, when ice fishing, I like the fact that you show the type of lure/jig you use, the color and the size, I learn from that. I think it would be great to add to that by showing the rod, the reel and line along with their respective sizes, type, etc…. By putting all of that together can be a good training/tip.

In my opinion, this is one of the better outdoors shows on the network today. I also appreciate the fact that you are asking your viewers for what they would like to see but don’t change it too much as it is already a great show.

collin meier

i would like to see a show on how the pro staff got to be apart of the team and what they had to do to get to where they are now.

Justin Radel

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SearchFor30 wrote:</div>
    First off I’ll just say keep up the great work with the show! But I agree with lundojam that you could try doing more small water shows. A good portion of us that don’t have the expensive equipment and/or time to visit famous lakes would be able to relate more if you fished the types of lakes that we have available.

I also think it would be cool to see you guys try and fish some of these small waters without any previous experience on them and explain to us along the way how you would go about attacking these new waters. It wouldn’t bother me if you didn’t catch as many fish because we would still be learning a lot. In my opinion a good fishing show isn’t always just about catching lots of fish. That’s why it’s called fishing and not catching right? Thanks guys!

I completely agree. It would be more relatable to more people. The challenge would be doing a show that wouldn’t give away a specific spot or small lake that wouldn’t be able to handle a heavy increase in pressure.

I also agree with these guys. Seeing how you would attack an unknown or slow body of water would be great.

Sam Smith

I’d love to see Pool 2 be highlighted. We’ve seen several shows on pool 4 and for good cause, but everybody and their brother fishes Pool 4. Highlighting the lights out walleye fishing on Pool 2 would be awesome. Get out there for prespawn eyes maybe?. It won’t hurt the fishery if more people get out there as it is catch and release only and often times pool 2 is a much closer destination for people than trailering all the way down to Red Wing.

Greg Selner

I would like to see a show on pan fishing on the Mississippi.
    Blue gills and perch

Drum Guy

I’d love to see a completely roughfish-based episode!

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 227 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.