IDO Show Ideas, Topics, Tips, Tricks and Shortcuts

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Grand finale road trip to Florida. Give me notice so I can wave from shore.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

How about a show on some small river or lake doing things a lot of us probably did growing up, digging our bait, wondering down to the river and catching whatever bit, bullheads, carp etc who cared we were fishing. Man those care free summer days where fun and what a great base to grow your skills from.

basseyes

Tips, tactics and hardware: Beyond the basic barbs and barrel swivels. It would be great to see a little more into the depths of deeper details.

The one thing that plagues many anglers is the decision to go deeper or shallower or stay the course on a school or pattern or bail and shift areas and techniques. That is a tough thing to relay or bring to life and be relatable or applicable.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Plan an entire walleye season of filming with episode 1 starting in southern waters like Greers Ferry, TN. Each week move north chasing nothing but fat girls, full of eggs. End at Rainy, Red River (Winnipeg)…

Inject something fresh, awkwardly different than incut angling.

chirp
    Rochester

Totally enjoyed the show you did a couple of years ago with Rapala. Fishing the different species on Lake of The Woods. Was awesome to see you guys catch all the species with one type of bait. That would be fun to see something like that again.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Run a contest selecting a member to go fishing with the crew. Give the winner the date so they can make vacation time requests. Take that member to a lake you picked the week before. Film James explaining why he picked that lake, why they were using this technique, what they would do next.

I’m sure these discussions go on during a weekly basis at the compound before trips. It would be nice to see it done with a member.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Ice fishing community spots on heavily pressured lakes and showing us what you different then the average “Joe” to be successful. I know you will say “get away from the crowds”, and I totally agree, however if the lake is basically a structureless lake or soup bowl, and the only structure/weed lines are where everyone else is at, what do you do?

Ben Purvis
    Superior Wisconsin

I will second the behind the scenes show, I think that would be a cool idea. As far as if your looking for trips, I would love to see a bad river Muskie show, or any Muskie show for that matter…

Mike Petersen

awesome ideas, and also love the IDO show…sorry if this was mentioned but what about a “how many species in a day” episode? Probably a river show, but would work well with one boat or as a contest format…also would help us hacks (like me) with ideas what works on other fish if the walleyes aren’t biting that day for instance…thanks for opening this up for discussion!

tim hurley

Very cool that you did an episode last year on shore fishing -also like it when you explain why you have picked a lake and or spot.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

How about an IDO long sleeve performance fishing shirt? Just don’t make it black, it defeats the purpose.

big_g
    Isle, MN

More Joel Nelson… doesn’t he summer fish … ??? crazy

Phil Ames

How about a rigging show, or a 5-10 minute segment at the beginning or end of each show? Show proper procedure for drilling holes, mounting locations of electronics and why, downrigger mounting, track mounting options, options for mounting on rails, trailer maintenance, fishing wires thru the boat, transducer selection, mounting transducers, battery selection and options, battery chargers and options, wax selection for glass/alumn and why.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Summertime (July-August) walleyes on a small lake

Summertime Crappies… thinking like jigging deeper weeds. Ben and I actually had a discussion about this a while back when he was still working for IDO.

More breakdowns of sonar and electronics interpretation. Include screenshots, etc.

And then the “day on the lake” style like Randy mentioned. Show up to a lake with multiple species, and then tell us how you would make decisions to figure out what is biting, then dial in a bite throughout the day.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

A show with you and John Gillespie. A cool, calm, collective James vs “GET THE FRABILL” John. Fishing up by the dam in the spring so all of us can watch it LIVE. jester jester jester

-J.

buschman
    Pool 2

Also a bloopers reel might be entertaining for part of a show.

James and the crew operate on perfection…. Everything goes perfect every day so would be tough to put a bloopers show together ) Till they invite me. I can turn that train around

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

“Do these pants make my butt look big?”~ James Holst 2005ish

“Secret blooper reel on the Mille Lacs night fishing CD from many moons ago.”

Tyler Kalishek
    Cedar Falls, IA

I love the Great Lakes and Mississippi River smallmouth shows. I’d really like to see some summer smallmouth fishing Door County with Paul Delaney. The spring shows are great but summer is when the fishing can get tough up there. It’d be nice to see how a local goes about finding fish once they move off shore.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Not sure if this was said or not but how about strategies of finding fishing on a brand new body of water. Like what are you looking for in particular? Even some thoughts on DNR information.

Some fishing that is different maybe a stream trout show? I know a lot of people who would love to see that even a 10 minute segment.

Gear like how you store all the stuff in the otter.

These might be good web content too.

pikeintheboat

I just drove 36+ hours to Leech Lake for a summer family trip from Indiana. Maybe you guys could come down here and do a show on the Hoosier state? 3 ideas for Indiana:

1. Indiana Smallmouth Stream fishing show
    2. Indiana Northeast natural lakes: Walleye, Pike, and Largemouth fishing shows
    3. Indiana stocked resevoirs for Walleyes/Wipers/White Bass fishing shows

Just something different.

Spencer Haugen

Ely or gunflint trail lake trout show. Another segment on tuned up rods like you did with throne bros

joe-bauman
    Rochester, MN

I watch fishing shows for education as well as where to go. I would like to see more on how you choose a location, boat speed, depth, presentation, etc. TV shows always show great catching. I want to know more about the equipment and why it is used for each outing.
    I also liked the show last spring shore fishing walleyes in your waiters in NE WI. Walleye & Crappies are my main interest. I fish mostly on the river (Mississipi) so any shows there are of big interest. Any thought of doing a couple of show with Granrud on Rainy again?
    Keep up the good work!

Bob/MN

I enjoy watching fishing shows and the excitement of the fish catch.
    However the main reason for watching is to learn something and broaden my knowledge.

Whateverbites

you could spotlight a charity for a show, Fishing For Life would be a good example.

you could participate and highlight one of their fishing events, like their holes for hero’s ice tourney.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Longer season starting with and ending with more open water…. I get the condensed timeline of the current schedule puts a beating on your team – I just miss not having more of it when open water season is here.

Fishing some of the big flowages and other new adventures.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

How about an ask the expert segment?

FryDog62

My input (many already mentioned):

•Small river smallmouth episodes
    •Tournament on a new/unknown lake – James and one IDO’er and another staff member and an IDO’er. Kind of like MLF or Lake Commandos but 2 boats against each other. Compare maps, strategies, techniques, etc.
    •Spring drive to destinations before the Minnesota/Wisconsin seasons open up (i.e. Table rock)
    •Reports from the field segment – like Angling Buzz. Various locations, real time input from the region from IDO’ers on hot bites, techniques, etc…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Just to touch on BigWerm’s post…

Not actually a my boat vs. his boat… but I like the idea of a friendly competition on the same body of water with two boats and maybe two staff guys per boat…

All the time still sharing tips and tactics that work for the species of the day !!

the_popper
    Suburbs of Chicago, IL

I’d really enjoy seeing more Musky episodes. Come down to Chicago and do an urban smallmouth episode on Lake Michigan with Capt. Ralph Steiger. Power-lining and trolling for Cohos and stealhead in Chicago. Doubt many people outside of Chicago have experienced power-lining. I’d like to see more episodes where the conditions are not perfect, and the body of water is heavily pressured.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 227 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.