IDO Show Ideas, Topics, Tips, Tricks and Shortcuts

• icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Being selfish I’d like to see an open water crappie or panfish show. Beyond that, I like the aforementioned idea of drawing a lake out of a hat, driving to it and figuring out the bite, maps electronics, dissecting the patterns, weather, time of year etc. in a mini competition. Again IDO will always be number one in my book but Wiebe and Uncut Angling was fantastic with the 39 hours challenge, I like a little friendly competition in fishing shows even if it is only for bragging rights. Teaming up with Aaron or maybe even Mr. Al Lindner would be a dream show for me (no offense intended to the rest of the pro-staff, all of you are awesome).

As an aside, I love that you are coming to us in the IDO community and asking for feedback. Regardless of what ideas you choose to follow I’m sure that the show quality with be magnificent as always, no matter what you can bet I’ll be tuning in.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Rent a boat at a mom-and-pop and go panfishing.
    I love the show as is, but the big-water Skeeter shows feel a little inaccessible to me and I’m sure to lots of others whose boats are decidedly un-sparkly. (In my mind, that’s a good deal of the appeal of the ice shows; people can replicate it pretty easily with a thousand bucks worth of equipment versus the 40 or 50 Large for the big boat and big lake trolling rods and boards etc that not everyone has in the budget.)
    Also, I think you should do a Babe Winkelman’s-wife-recipe-parody segment. Get Cal or somebody in drag to fry up a batch of sunnies and put a lemon wedge next to them.

^^ That would be great! lol
    Voting for lundojams other suggestions as well!

Have an internal IDO contest, two different boats on the same body of water. Holst’s boat vs Koonce’s or something like that.

Do a random draw lake. Pull a lake name out of a hat and drive there, and figure out the bite without help from a local/guide. You could also do this for the contest lake.

love this idea too…

basseyes

Part of the problem with most outdoor entertainment type shows is there are guides and/or they are on an awesome body of water, setup with perfect timing. Granted it’s fun to watch great sticks catch fish after fish in a perfect boat, with perfect camera angles and in perfect weather. But there’s a reason uncut angler’s 39 hours was such a big hit, it took a different angle to the grip and grin shows. It showed dirty trucks, dirty boats and the climb to get up the mountain, making it more enjoyable to know the effort that went into the hero shot on the peak. There’s nothing that separates the vast majority of outdoor tv promotional shows. Now since youtube and the interweb came on the scene there’s a lot of different ideas and platforms to show off how every Tom, Richard or Harry is catching fish from an infinite number of angles, in an infinite amount of areas and times. Without the constant pitching or commercials for product sponsors. Although pitching is a necessary evil, people see through stuff way faster now than they did a decade ago. Lets face it there’s entertainment and then there’s learning tutorials. Very rarely can those two niches intertwine well. It’s interesting to see the hurdles, failures and frustration that leads to success vs just seeing the finished product.

One thing I’d like to see more of is not timing hitting a spot perfectly. Now it’s inbreed within us to see that as failure. But it’d be great to see how great sticks handle really adverse conditions. Like hitting pool 4 when everything is wrong vs when conditions are ideal for a clinic to be put on, on both numbers and size. Or on areas that are heavily fished, on a Sunday afternoon, that takes real skill and perseverance to pull off.

But that doesn’t always make for good tv viewing.

It’d be nice to see good anglers picking apart a body of water and having to get to plan L, M, N, and O and P after the first part of the alphabet has been run through unsuccessfully and seeing how guides on Erie, Devils Lake, Leech, Lake of the Woods, Winnie, The Mississippi and St. Croix River’s, etc face the challenge of a hard day vs a picture perfect day. And how they read maps and say move from the original plan and how they dissect and brake down a game plan for fishing new bodies of water or even old bodies of water. That is a very hard thing to verbalize or explain and takes a really good balanced person and or team to twist a recipe out of an already cooked meal by a great chef, who is a great chef, but isn’t a great communicator.

There’s a few rivers around that could really produce interesting shows;

The Ottertail river for smallies.

The upper St. Louis for catfish, smallies and walleyes.

The lower St. Louis for walleyes.

The Rum river for smallies.

The Upper Mississippi river for smallies.

The upper St. Croix for smallies.

Some odd ball lakes to consider;

Minnetonka

Waconia

White Bear Lake

East and West Rush

Osakis

Ottertail

Benton

Winnie

Cass

Pelican by Orr.

Vermillion.

Lakes around the BWCA and in the NE.

The Red River for catfish.

I’d really like to learn the in’s and out’s of river fish and the where’s, why’s and when’s.

Weed walleye’s have been asked about a lot recently on forums, that could make for some entertaining shows.

Urban environments are an untapped goldmine for shows because there are becoming a lot more urban anglers that don’t have access to big boats rigged to the 9’s or cabins in lake country and are challenged to fish in areas surrounded by more concrete and asphalt than pine trees and aspens, with little to go on other than forums and word of mouth. Their fish might not always be huge and there might not be unbelievable numbers, but they are forced to deal with less than ideal situations, conditions or bodies of water.

There’s some really odd lakes in the south western part of the state in big ag country.

Big Stone, Traverse and the lakes out on the border country in the western part of the state are interesting shallow bodies of water. It’d be interesting to learn how guides and pro’s target fish in those dishpan, shallow, seemingly featureless bodies of water.

Teaching and remaining relevant is something those anglers who have lived in the Brainerd lakes area have been able to achieve for decades and that’s no easy task. They’ve been able to keep it entertaining and informative at the same time, tough goal to achieve over a long period of time without becoming redundant or stagnant. In Depth Outdoors seems to be on that same path and is a very informative show that doesn’t shy away from telling the viewers not only the patterns, time of year, etc but also a general location, all the while keeping it fun and entertaining. Keep up the good work and good luck chasing down ways to make a great show even better!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Some odd ball lakes to consider;

Minnetonka

Waconia

White Bear Lake

East and West Rush

Osakis

Ottertail

Benton

Winnie

Cass

Pelican by Orr

Vermilion

sleeping
    Odd ball lakes? shock

ejdelvo28

I’d enjoy something unique like bow fishing for carp, or channel cats on the Red river. The sturgeon episodes along with the alligator gar episode have been a nice change of pace. Something different than the ho-hum walleyes on plastics or crappies through the ice.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I don’t think there is ever enough time spent showing how the set up is entirely rigged. Sometimes you get a shot of the end of the line at the lure. Show the whole dang thing and spend some time explaining it.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Keep on doing the awesome job that you guys do and a product review and quick pan of each boat would be cool.

Maybe have one of those contest where an angler could spend a day with you on the boat like you do with the lodge and ice fishing.

Just stay safe and keep on doing what you do so well.
    James W

keppenhiemer
    (507) MN

I would really love to see more on how you guys break down a lake or river.
    ie, patterns, structure, cover ect.

I want to know why you choose to fish a particular spot and how you came to the conclusion it was the best place to be.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Perhaps a show on tips/tricks on boat positioning/handling in different scenarios? Half hour show would never be as instructional as just being out there doing it and clearly a big skeeter will handle differently than the ‘less sparkly’ rigs many of us have (thanks whoever said that) but I’m sure there would still be a few ah ha moments for those of us still learning the fine points.

I’ll second (or third/fourth/fifth, whatever number we are at) the behind the scenes idea, perhaps a good ‘break’ show if we have another winter from hell again.

Also put another push in for the bloopers show, there’s got to be enough TV safe ones on film for at least one half hour.

chirp
    Rochester

Hook up with Garett Svir from Slab Seeker fishing and do a Steelhead show up the North Shore or the Brule River in WI. Spring or Fall are prime.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1487-3210.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Getting the most out of your electronics, ie identifying different bottoms, fish, fish size, bait fish, algae blooms, settings, etc.

IDO fishing tourney?

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

I love what you guys have done in the past and no doubt will love what you guys do in the future. There are a few things I would like to see; 1 I would of course like to see you guys summer fish and all year round, 2. I would like to see steelhead from shore in rivers, 3. more muskie but that ties into summer shows, 4. Vermilion show but target walleyes and muskie or walleye and smallmouth, 5. ice fishing for pike but jigging that is something that I really like to do and those hits are awesome. Those are my top 5 and I will just add one other twist and that is competition fishing. Who doesn’t love to have competitions have two or three teams and see what happens. Once again I love the show you are my top show because come the right season I know there will be a video every week, now if you can get that to carry over the whole year that would make my day even if they were old never before seen. Keep it up guys!!

Jonesy

It has been mentioned but in a general sense I’d like to see a bit more depth in explanation of techniques and how/why you broke the water down and decided to fish that spot. I would also like to see an episode or 2 on fall fishing. I know that kind of detracts from the “hot bite” concept of the show but it’s such a popular time to fish.

As far as species I’d like to see a catfish episode. I would also like to see a trolling episode on the chippewa flowage since that has recently opened up in the last few years.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Lake Powell.
    The Lower Wisconsin River.

Matthew Sandys
    Inactive
    Grand Rapids, MN

I would like to see more graphics of what they are doing when possible. Showing the structure fishing or why to help learn. I think of the winter lantern bite on leech and showing the deep finger they come up to shallow water. All about learning more each show.

Ryan

Great show guys. Keep up the great work. Heres a place that will give your arms a work out. Stannard Rock, jigging for huge Lakers!

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Lake Havasu for sunfish and Lake Nippigon for big Lakers or giant brookies?

Ron S

How about locating fish lots of us do okay once we find them but if they aren’t there its a tough bite. Also how about a bit on reading the depth finder displays.

Bill Boyd
    Warroad, MN

Go old school….no electronics in an old boat and a 9.9 motor. mrgreen

Actually I would like to see more set up as far as the how and why. I want to see what type of snap/swivels and how your rigging up. How to present certain baits/lures.

Variety of specie is always good, big and small. Even would like to see some stuff on fish like white fish. I enjoyed the ice fishing for burbout episode.

Tips on equipment and how to set up a boat/fish house. Just remember that a vast majority of people cannot afford super high dollar equipment. Remember the working mans budget. A lot of guys fish from a duck boat. Somehow tricks for the guys on a limited budget.

I also like to learn some biology about the fish. Add a little human interest stuff about an area. A little history or facts about a specie/area keeps it interesting.

Viewer engagement. People like a chance to win something or get to go fishing with the big guys.

Enjoy the show and thanks for asking.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So one common theme seems to be going more in-depth (no pun intended) about setups.

I think they do a great gob explaining the setups but somehow I’d still like more as well. Maybe a short 60 second segment for tips and tricks.

I was also thinking that it might be nice to see your regional staff members provide weekly fishing and conditions reports. Maybe another 1-2 minute segment.

djshannon
    Crosslake

How about pier fishing public DNR & Corp of Engieers sites.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

End the show with out takes. There has to be some funny moments from time to time.
    Other then that it’s the best outdoor show so just keep up the work.

Woody

There has plenty shows catching sturgeon on rivers but I would love to see a show catching lake sturgeon on the lake. Ottertail lake for example is getting a great population. See them jumping all the time while fishing out there but haven’t figured a great way to fish them.

Great site and show guys! Keep it up

Brennon Nielson

i absolutely love the idaho episodes the last 2 seasons (Henry’s and Cascade) living out west it is awesome to see you guys come over this way to do a show!! also in season 6 you did an episode called “Custom Ice Rod Revolution” and i loved that episode going into detail about some of the different Thorne Bros rods you were using but now we need one for TUCR!!! it would be especially helpful for those of us that live no where close to a TUCR dealer and want more insite on their rods! Keep up the good work!!! LOVE the show!!!!!

also maybe more Ben Putnam, Will Roseberg, and Andy Fiolka!!!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I think incorporating a few episodes of “a day on the water” format would be very beneficial and easy to utilize as a highlight in the broadcast season. The nice part is they don’t necessarily need to be current as the weekly show is. Open water pre-spawn crappies, post spawn walleyes, post turn-over on lakes and how to read the water column.

Filming a show that is run-n-gun chasing schools of fish is difficult because of all the dead time. You can have hours of searching for the few minutes of glory – similar to fishing Winnebago.

From doing seminars at different clubs and big stores (cabelas, bass pro,…) I find the most common question I get is breaking down new waters or unfamiliar lakes/rivers and understanding where and how to look at them. I think IDO touches on this in some episodes, but could expand more “thought process” behind it.

A few other ideas that I t6hink viewers would benefit from:
    Man made deep reservoirs with deep water panfish bites. It would highlight the use of electronics to understand and “see” the difference in weeds or factors in the water column to put fish 25 feet down in lieu of shallow weeds.

WI, MI, IL, IN….all have outstanding tributaries that offer steelhead/ salmon runs. These can be awesome 1 or 2 day destination fishing trips and I’m sure a lot of viewers would give it consideration when they see how simple of a fishery it can be.

As the viewer base increases for western viewers, I’m sure a Granby, Horsetooth, and the numerous of reservoirs in CO WY would be great opportunities. When I worked the grand opening of the 2 Cabelas stores in Denver, I was amazed at how many anglers were interested in walleye/bass, but didn’t have the local resources for education for those types of habitat.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

I’d like to see stream trout fishing in SE MN, NE IA, or western WI. Focus on tactics for larger fish (18-26” browns).

You don’t see stream trout being featured much at all, and when it is, it involves going to a stream full of hungry 10-12” trout that will eat just about anything.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I think a tips section would be good. Why you use certain line, rods, lures etc. A lot of fisher persons could use tips on how to read/use electronics or why you rig a boat a certain way.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Given the variety of replies I see here, I can basically break them down into two catagories. Either learning more about the decision making process or more in-depth knowledge of applications, tools, etc., once the choices are made.

Because of sponsor dollars that are needed to pay for these shows, I don’t know how much room the IDO guys have for expanding the show into a deeper tutorials for both the more experienced anglers and the less experienced anglers. However, because all levels seem to be asking for the same things, more relatable information to their own circumstances or preferences, honestly…… I think there’s room for a totally different show.

I actually messaged James a week or so ago wondering what his thoughts were on this idea. Not suggesting that he had to do it or make it or produce it, but I was curious to know his thoughts on it.

Create a show where “professional” fishermen are placed into basic fishing rigs. All aluminum bench models, 16′, and a 25hp tiller. Only $400 in total accessory expenditures would be allowed. There would be up to 5 pros competing with each other within strict parameters. The lake/river would be unknown and undisclosed. We don’t want to “gold rush” smaller resources. Anyway, all the details of the fishery would be there though. Water type, characteristics, management details, bottom makeup, as well as temp, barometric pressure, air temp, wind, moon phase, etc., so the viewers can apply it to similar fisheries.

Each week (episode) would have our “instructors” chasing a different size and style of fishery as well as species. Upon arriving at the meeting point, they’d have 4hrs to research the fishery by any public means as well as arrive to said fishery. From there, they have only 2hrs to explore and prefish. The following day, there will be a “winner take all”, “bragging rights only” bonsai where the pros compete for both biggest fish and the most fish. All catch and release, sworn rider/camera verified. Time limit: 3 or 4 hours. This time zone can also be varied to morning, mid-day, evening, or darkness time frames. Darkness provides new challenges but it can be done. 250 Lumens and a GoPro is all I need to document my own night fishing successes.

At the end of the “contest”, all strategies and techniques will be revealed. Therefore, there’s room for anglers of all experience levels to learn exactly what’s being used, how it’s being used, and how the various game plans were decided. Keeping it to basics makes it relatable to far more anglers than just those that can afford big $$$ rigs and electronics. The big boat guys can still learn, even though it’s not their type of equipment being used.

Across the internet, there’s no shortage of big boat, big water shows. They’re a dime a dozen. There’s very little knowledge gained from an Erie walleye show that I can apply to the 500 acre lake 7 miles from my cabin. This is far more common than I think the industry is willing to admit. Showcasing the latest and greatest is cool and I don’t want to say that it doesn’t have it’s place, I mean, it’s actually necessary. However, so much entry level or mid-range gear gets left by the wayside as if it wouldn’t have any value to an avid fisherman.

Because the gear and techniques chosen could be so varied, I’d like to think that sponsorship could be scooped up fairly easy. Only one boat will win but the odds are that all boats will catch some fish so in essence, additional sponsorship could be sought on the backside of filming because you’ll have their product featured in a successful showing!

It would be both entertaining and informative….. is how I see this in my mind.

As for the big water, situation specific info that the experienced anglers crave, this is what a show like In Depth Outdoors is already geared toward. Keep discovering new things, places, techniques, species,…… whatever, and just keep doing what you’re doing with that format. You’ll never put enough info into a commercial sponsored 30min. program to satisfy everyone, every time. “In-Depth Angling” doesn’t sound like a title for “beginners”. Cater to the audience that already supports you. I just see room for a whole new type of show and format outside of the ones everybody’s already making.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’m no pro but there’s a lot of questions here about how to decide where to go. I’ve been faced with the same challenge and I wanted to address it this year. So, I researched the lakes within my area of interest. Not long…. maybe 2-3 hours worth.

I was interested in finding an action lake that still held a decent chance of producing a respectable fish. Therefore, I broke it down to lakes that showed management/survey details that fit into my desired criteria.

Once I had my list of interested fisheries, I looked at the water type and lake composition details as well as distance traveled, in case I wanted to go from the cabin or if I wanted to travel from home.

I chose to travel from home and I chose a lake of 231 acres in size because it seemed to have good walleye management practices and it wouldn’t take all day to explore it.

I arrived at said destination at about 10:00am and decided to determine the weedline “norms”. Find shallow pockets and deeper weeded areas as well. While exploring, always troll a line behind the boat that will trip multiple species.

Within 2 hours, I determined where on the lake I’d be most likely to catch crappies, largemouth bass, walleye, and northern pike…… and catch this fish in the process:

The hot lure of the day was a #11 Shadow Rap in silver. A BX Jointed Shad in Silver was also productive. Total time spent fishing: 3.5hrs.

If I can do this, anyone can do this, but I’d love to see a show that can also show what someone else would choose to do under the same location and circumstances.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

With all these awesome ideas, well bring on the next show already.
    ;)

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 227 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.