Auger help???

• iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

So any idea on this one. I have a old Jiffy auger and I ordered and received new blades this year. WOW that thing was cutting like crazy again. Then after about my 30th hole on Sat suddenly it stops cutting. It was so weird that even when I would try and start a new hole it would just hop around and NOT cut into the ice. Even if I could get it started, I really had to bear down on it to get it to “powder” the ice, not really cutting in. It feels like the whole blades got out of alignment, but I really don’t see anything different. This happened real sudden like between one hole and the next. Any ideas? And Yes, the main point on the bottom is still there.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Did the new blades possibly loosen up on you?

If they loosened up and then ice got between the auger and
    the blade it could drastically affect the blade pitch and the auger’s ability to cut.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Blades ice up? happens alot on my strikemaster. slush will freeze to the blades and cant even rub a hole!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Blades ice up? happens alot on my strikemaster. slush will freeze to the blades and cant even rub a hole!

X2

liljac
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

X3

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Thanks guys – I think that is most likely the case. I will go cut some holes now and see what happens now that the auger has thawed out some.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Sometimes with the amount of torque an auger puts on the drill when completing the hole causes it to bind. This binding over time will loosen the weld near the blades causing your auger to become out of pitch or basically broken. This is the drill only. I had this happen to my 4 blade drill last year, after 5 years the weld finally gave out. So do you notice any deformation near the blades?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.