Strikemaster Lazer Mag Xpress

• woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

My Strikemaster has always drilled very well. Only 10 months old. Never needed any downward pressure from the opperator. This weekend I set out drilling a bunch of holes. I drilled 30 holes in a row and the first 5 holes the auger cut like it always has, at the 6th hole, it cut like crap. I had to put a decent amount of pressure on the auger to cut a hole. A couple of things to add;

1.) There was no ice build up at all on the blades/auger.
    2.) Blades weren’t loose, and I got a wrench to make sure they were tight.
    3.) I didnt hit bottom of the lake, I was in 15ft of water.
    4.) The blades didn’t have a burr, chip or anything wrong with them.
    5.) The centering point was tight and very sharp.

My guess is that the blades have something wrong at the microscopic level and new blades will solve my issue. But I have heard of augers losing the correct blade pitch and needing to be adjusted.

Any advice?

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Strikemaster did have a blade issue last year. I called them and got free new blades in a couple days.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

The Exact same thing happened to me last week.

I was out all day, drilled 50+ holes without an issue and no downward pressure. Went to the lake the following day and the auger cut terrible. Without heavy downward pressure it would just spin on top of the ice, doing nothing. I couldn’t figure it out and swore that I must have messed with the pitch on the auger itself.

I emailed Strikemaster and they replied promptly suggesting that I may have drilled though sand. Not sure how I would have drilled through sand in 15+ fow, but regardless I did drill though something to dull the blades.

I purchased a Strikemaster blade sharpener because I couldn’t find new blades anywhere close and that seemed to fix the problem.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I emailed Strikemaster and they replied promptly suggesting that I may have drilled though sand. Not sure how I would have drilled through sand in 15+ fow, but regardless I did drill though something to dull the blades.

If you are on a lake that sees truck traffic any road salt or dirt that falls out from the undercarriage or the fenders is your enemy. I have seen this more than once. Just another thing to watch for before drilling holes.

rogerr
    Maplewood, MN

Hi,

Along the same idea as Bret; don’t drill anywhere near a lake ice road. Vehicles can drag road sand onto the lake. Hitting just a couple of grains can take the blade out.

Roger

mrwalleye
    MN

just one more reason i love my Jiffy STX Pro with the chipper blade , I know that i have drilled through sand and it still cuts like new

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

StrikeMaster also offers the chipper blade. I have had both and won’t trade the speed or smoothness of the shaver blades for anything now. A guy just has to keep his eyes open.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

I will get some new blades and go from there.

waterswat
    WI

Bret,
    Just wondering if you know of anywhere in LaCrosse area a guy can exchange dull blades for sharpened ones. Its time for new ones on my auger. Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.