Lock and Dam Reports?

• VikeFan

Nope–I did not post this question in the wrong forum. With the cold snap the tailwaters below the lock and dams should be freezing up enough to fish on if you are careful. I am hoping to get up there and walk out below the dams next weekend, as I haven’t been able to do so in several years now.

When I lived in Winona, each winter there were usually a couple weeks where I could get out below 5a on the Wisconsin side and nail the sauger and walleye. I also had some very good (and very cold!) days on the west side of the Trempeleau dam, and on the ice besides the locks in Dresbach.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

The discharge at the Dresbach dam is about 12,400. It looks like most of that is being funnelled out the west(MN) side of the dam. There’s not much ice being made by the short wall as a result. The WI side of the channel is completely frozen over. I may try to take a walk with the ice spud this weekend. If I find anything, I’ll post it.

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

Didn;t check on flow, but saw two guys on ice very close to dam and open water by 5A last night [fri].be careful.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

There’s one guy about half way up to the short wall. Another guy took a walk across to the WI side of the channel, it’s anyone’s guess as to the thickness of the ice.

Stay safe and stay alive……

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

there was about 5″ of ice off the end of the long wall last weekend. That was right on the edge of the current seam though. It was all open water down to about half way up the long wall. If someone was fishing half way up the shortwall dang that must have been some thin ice!

VikeFan

Any updates on ice conditions below the lock and dams? I am going to be up in the Winona area this weekend, and I have the itch for walleye and sauger.

jld
    Holmen

I fished Dresbach last Sat AM and there was about 8-9 ihches by the short wall (close to the dam) and as you moved away there was at least a foot of ice or more. Can’t tell you how Winona is.

bmils83
    La Crosse, WI

I fished dresbach last evening and there was anywhere from 6-14 inches of ice. Have fun

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.