EAI ICE?

• Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

How’s that eastern Iowa Ice looking? PC, Macbride, ponds ect…

lebruce
    C.R. Iowa

Ponds are good but the wind and waves have killed what ice that was on PC,MacBride and the other big lakes.

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

Not totally Lebruce I saw a few on Mcbride yesterday taking
    advantage of the great early ice fishing.
    The highline area North & south has open water so be care full

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Moved to Ely last week, so I’m probably only about 5 miles or so from MacBride now. Once I get settled in a little bit (boxes floor to ceiling in every room right now), I’m looking forward to hitting it pretty hard.

Anyone got a report?

lebruce
    C.R. Iowa

John, I got on McBride Thursday and Friday.In some places the ice is real thin and some places it’s 6″.Hit Belva Deer today and killed the big gills there.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I’ve been trying to get down there ever since BFD and Big B posted a report last winter. This winter it’s a sure thing, heck, if those two can pound the big gills…

Tomorrow will be the first outing of the year for me, but it will be up here at the in-laws in MN. Should be home Tuesday, but still need to do some unpacking and putting away in the new house for probably at least three or four days before I’m ready to hit the hard water. With the warm temps they’re predicting, I’m not sure we’ll have any ice by the time I’ve got the auger tuned up and ready to roar.

When the cold weather starts up again, I’ll pour some water on Gills’ doorstep – maybe if we break his leg he’ll put that bike away and hit the ice in his wheelchair?

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

yesterday I went up to little Missouri, fished from 1:30 to 4:30. Caught some
    nice gills and 4 decent Crappies. The Ice was 8 inches. I rebuilt and did some
    costum work to my ice rods, oh,,, so much better never seen any thing like
    them in the store. unfortunatly I must have caught some thing on the way back
    home because I had to call in sick
    Today I’m feeling much better, probably will check out Mcbride this afternoon before
    going back to work tonight.

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Let us know how you do Gills and Specks.

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

I skipped mcbride, Tomorrow though, bussey here I come

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Hey John,
    When and where are you taking me ice fishing?

jc

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Bought a new house on the East end of Ely, about 5 miles from the main launch at Macbride. Right now the attached 4-stall is about 2 stalls until I get some workbenches and shelving built, which I’ve been working on last night and this morning. Once that’s done, I can empty out the storage shed that’s currently housing my boat, auger bits, powerhead, shack, rods, reels, etc etc etc.

I don’t know if after the last two days we’ll have safe ice or not, but I’ll try to talk honey into letting me out of the house for a while. PM me your phone # and we’ll try to set something up.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

I went this afternoon and still had 6″ of ice.
    Give me a ring 8512101…. Fish were biting but they were mostly small.
    jc

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

spent yesterday up at Norwegion above Clayton on the Miss. R. Caught about 70 gills,
    one speck, & a perch. Wasn’t real great fishing but sure beat staying at home

Jeremy; are those two pits by mud private? Can I pull my sled across frozen back water to get there? A little snow is easier to pull the sled on then mud, rocks, & weeds

VikeFan

This afternoon, there was about 4″ of good clear ice on the ponds here in Coralville. I caught a bunch of small sunnies in one, and a couple small crappies–typical for a small public pond. What the heavy rain we had in Coralville a couple hours ago might do to the ice is something to check.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.