which vexilar

• fishinkatt
    N.E Wisconsin

Hi
    I did pick up a Clam 5600 and—–

Now I’m getting ready to purchase a vexilar– I’m asking all you fella’s that have made the change from the FL8 to the FL18 , if your think the 18 is that much better then the FL8?? Would like to hear your views , Pro and con. Is the FL18 worth the extra bucks???

Thanks in advance.
    Dick

John Luebker

ibupnort – Sorry I can’t help on the vexilar, but just wanted to say congrats on the new Clam. I am sure you will love it.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

The new FL-8SE has the new brighter display -vs- the old
    FL-8SLT but not the zoom some people like. I have a FL-18 and a FL-8SLT and like the 18 but do not use the zoom that much, other guys will say they do. If you have the extra $$$ then go for it, that way you will not be going “shoulda” If not the new FL_8SE are a great unit also.

fishinkatt
    N.E Wisconsin

John — thanks for the input on the clam5600- I’m looking forward to taking mine for a “RIDE”–
    Dick

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

If you fish alot of bottom fish(walleyes,crappies,perch), you will benefit from the FL-18. If you plan on using it on your boat you will also like the bottom lock feature.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Like Derek said if you fish the bottom it might be nice to have. Last winter I replaced all my ice fishing stuff too and if it wasn’t for buying a new ice house, Vexilar and all new ice fishing rods and reels [been away from it for awhile] I would have bought the FL18 Pro Pack instead of the FL/8SE Pro Pack probably. But with alot of money already spent and figuring that the FL-8SE was good enough I went that way. Haven’t used the FL8-SE yet as my back went out last winter but plan on using it this winter.
    Thanks, Bill

MrSeaguar

Froma finance standpoint, the 18 is less of a deal than the 8. With the difference being $300 to $400, the 18 would have to help you catch 33% more fish. Thats not going to happen. So the 8 is a better deal.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Don’t rule out the Marcum…same price as the Vex.
    Never used one myself…but I am going to.
    Rumor has it that I am getting one from the Walleye-brat for X-mas. I can’t wait!!!!
    JB

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

You definatley miss alot of fish laying on or close to bottom without the zoom. The FL-18 will also hold its value better and you can’t beat the bottom lock feature.

lebruce
    C.R. Iowa

I have both the FL8 & FL18.When I go to buy another one I will deffently pay the extra 100. for the FL18 again.The 9-19 degree duel beam,bottom lock and zoom are well worth the extra money.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Like Buckshot said, I would check out the MarCum LX-3 before you buy a new flasher. In my opinion they out perform the FL-18 in many circumstances. You will be happy with either unit, but I encourage you to check out all the options before you buy.

If you are looking to save some money I have my guide units for sale cheap in the For Sale section on the site.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Couple of the benefits of the FL-18 over other brands is power consumption and the 10 levels of interference rejection. The Fl-18 also uses a very high sensitive reciever with a low outout transmitter causing less heat which increases bushing life. The low output also creates less noise.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I just bought a fl-18 and took it out for a test drive this morning at one of the local ponds. The improvements they have made over the standard fl-8 are unbelievable. I can see where the autozoom feature will be a tremendous asset. I cannot wait to use it for some real fishing.

Lenny Jamison

jphersh22
    SE Iowa

I’ve seen both and just bought a 18 myself. Gander Mountain in Cedar Rapids, IA had the 18 pro pack on sale for $359. I was debating between the 8 and the 18 but for $60 difference I thought I’d get the 18. I’m not sure if that was the same sale for all Gander Mountains or just our local store. I’d check. It shows they have some room to mark them down if nothign else.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.