South Dakota Ice Season Ending Fast

• Todd Henneberg
    Boyd, MN

Fished a couple lakes Sunday around Hwy 212 area and the ice conditions are rapidly changing. The ice was about 28-30″ and is honey combed the last 10-12″ if not more. Shore lines are loosing ice fast, making it difficult for ATVs to get out to the ice. The last lake we got to, we had broke through 3 times trying to access the lake, 4th attempt finely made it, and it was well worth the effort in the end. Took home 8 limits of eyes in our group, 22″ being the biggest and averaged about 16″ keepers, few perch now and then, northerns mixed in made it fun. Found them in about 5-6′ depth, VMC 1/8 oz tumbler in gold perch was the hot lure of choice, along with VMC 1/4 oz rattle spoon in glow pink fire UV. Really hoping to try one last rally but not looking very promising, may have to just get the boat ready.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Time to drive to North Dakota now right?

We all have to be very careful now because ice is getting more dangerous each day.

Be safe out there.

Todd Henneberg
    Boyd, MN

Sounds like north of the I-94 coridoor is looking good. Have had good reports of pan fishing around the Otter Tail area and also Winnie. I have the walleye itch going and just am waiting for the NE SD open water now. Just need to get me a TUCR jigging rod now.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Blizzard today in that area

nblasius
    SE South Dakota

It’s gonna be cold for a few days boys! The ice will hang in there for at least a couple weeks. I was on lake thompson on sunday and it was a rice krispy bar but with this cold you will be able to walk out on that for at least next weekend, and that is far south from the really safe walkable ice! We got at least two weeks left in SD, and the walleyes and perch are more than willing to play along It seems like everybody gives up when you have to walk out

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.