Strikemaster Customer Service

• doonan
    Storm Lake, IA

Strikemaster Customer Service

I purchased a Strikemaster Honda Lite on December 14 of 2013. I had issues with the powerhead running properly from the beginning. It did come out of it after a morning of fighting it. It ran smoothly until the 11th of January. I just finished cutting a hole and was walking to my next spot and the powerhead died. I went to re-fire the Honda and the recoil locked up tight. The motor had seized after 50 or so holes drilled. It held me high and dry the day before a tournament I was planning to fish. Luckily a good friend borrowed me his auger for the tournament. I understand that anything mechanical can fail and it was unfortunate it happened the day before a tournament. Why I’m writing this is because how it was handled after the fact. If I would have known how a warranty issue is handled with Strikemaster I wouldn’t have ever bought the Auger.

Here is how my issue was handled

1) 01/11/2014

I contacted the Store where I purchased the auger and asked about returning the auger. I was told that wasn’t an option and they gave me the 800 number for Strikemaster.

2) 01/13/2014

I called the 800 number and it was an automated system that referred me to one of their main service centers.

3) 01/13/2014

I called their main service center and was told they are busy and would have a technician call me back. Still waiting on that phone call back

4) 01/13/2014

I found out there isn’t a way to contact strikemaster directly via telephone and talk to a human. So I sent an email to them with my problem. The response back referred me to a Strikemaster Authorized Service Center in my Area.

5) 01/14/2014

I dropped the Auger off at the Strikemaster Authorized Service Center.

6) 01/15/2014

The Technician calls and tells me something internal broke and it had seized up. He told me he also needed to use email to communicate with Strikemaster and was waiting back to see what they wanted to do.

7) 01/17/2014

Technician calls and tells me the Powerhead now needs to be sent to Strikemaster. I sent an email to Strikemaster telling them I am not happy that it needs to spend another week being looked at before I get my auger back. I can’t believe if their authorized technician told them the auger was toast they wouldn’t send a new power-head immediately. I didn’t receive an email back in response.

8) 01/29/2014

I send another email to strikemaster asking what the status of my powerhead is. I received an email back telling me the powerhead hasn’t arrived. I contact the Store I bought it from again and she contacted her contact at strikemaster and I’m then told the powerhead never left the Strikemaster Authorized Service Center. I send an email to Strikemaster asking if they contacted the Service center to see if they would get it shipped out. Never got a response back.

9) 02/05/2014

I send an email asking the status of my powerhead. An hour later I receive a call from the Service Center that my powerhead arrived at their facility and I can pick it up.

It took strikemaster 24 days to resolve my issue. I sat without my $580 auger for what is looking like a third of the ice fishing season. I still believe Strikemaster produces one of the better augers on the market, but their customer service has got me wondering if Strikemaster/ Rapala is where I should be spending my $$$. Hopefully customers will read this and reevaluate where they spend their money. You could be without an important tool for a good portion of your ice fishing season in the event of a major failure covered under manufacture warranty.

fisherman-andy

WARRANTY INFORMATION
    StrikeMaster Corporation, 10395 Yellow Circle Drive, Minnetonka, Minnesota 55343 provides the following LIMITED WARRANTY on its products to the purchaser of these products and to any person to whom such products are transferred during the duration of this warranty.
    The warrantor’s obligation shall be limited to repairing or replacing at the above address, any part or parts which shall within a One Year period hereinafter specified to be returned to them with transportation prepaid and which upon examination by StrikeMaster Corporation shows to have been defective. This warranty shall NOT APPLY IF:
    The product has been altered, repaired or modified outside the warrantor’s place of business in any way that would adversely affect its operation.
    The product has been subjected to misuse or damage while in the possession of the purchaser or was operated or used other than in accordance with the manufacturer’s operating instructions.
    The product failure is attributed to damage which is the sole responsibility of the user.
    The One Year limited warranty period shall commence with the date the product is sold to the purchaser by the dealer, or if this date cannot be established, the date the product was sold by StrikeMaster Corporation to the distributor or dealer.
    THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSES ARE LIMITED TO THE DURATION OF THIS WARRANTY – One Year – AFTER SAID One Year StrikeMaster Corporation EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY OR MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    Purchase or other acceptance of the product by the claimant shall be on the condition and agreement that StrikeMaster Corporation SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND.
    Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts or do not allow the exclusion or limitations of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusions may not apply to you.
    To make claim under this warranty write or call directly to “CUSTOMER SERVICE”, StrikeMaster Corporation at the above address for a warranty return authorization. StrikeMaster Corporation will make every effort to repair or replace the product if found to be defective within the terms of this warranty within 30 days after receipt of the product.

BBKK
    IA

They have a 30 day warranty? Wow

holmsvc
    SE ND

I understand what you are saying and I would be pissed off to. I think that there seems to be an issue with service with several companies after partnering with Rapala.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Actually he bought it in the future!!! Where did you buy it? I would think that they would replace it if it was under 30 days, I know a lot of places will.

Odd that you cannot call them, hate when you can only email.

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Quote:

They have a 30 day warranty? Wow

The way I read it is they have 30 days to resolve the problem after you send it to them. Maybe I am wrong.

BBKK
    IA

Yep, you are right. I read it too fast.

30 days is a whole ice season for some places.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Who wouldn’t be hot. I would. But you know there are going to be few failures. You just hope you aren’t the unlucky one receiving it.

doonan
    Storm Lake, IA

30 day turn around seems a little excessive to me, but maybe I’m just impatient. Good thing we have good Ice in Iowa this year or that could take up the majority of the ice season.

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Quote:

30 day turn around seems a little excessive to me, but maybe I’m just impatient. Good thing we have good Ice in Iowa this year or that could take up the majority of the ice season.

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

I would have demanded the store issue a refund. Unless the receipt specifically stated that motorized equipment is non refundable I would not have left with that POS. Crappy experience all the way around, sorry to hear about it.

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

I called Strikemaster this morning and talked to them no problem. Just got a new Honda yesterday and had a question, they were very helpful. I talked to a tech by the name of Jason and he was great. Hope the issue is solved though.

doonan
    Storm Lake, IA

did you call strikemaster directly or H20 Outfitters/ DROCK?

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

Quote:

did you call strikemaster directly or H20 Outfitters/ DROCK?

Strikemaster. 952-933-7060 ext.3-394

doonan
    Storm Lake, IA

I should of posted my problem three weeks ago. Thank you for the number!

692fisherman
    champlin mn

really is to bad, because they had (pre rapala days) an amazing service center. you could walk in there and they would just usually give you parts right there! and sometimes put them on while you wait for free! ah, those were the days……..

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Had a good friend buy a new strikmaster from Cabelas on our way to LOW 2 years ago. on the 8th hole it seized up. Within 10 min of walking back in the store after the trip Cabelas gave him a $50 gift cert for his trouble and changed out the auger. We have since used that new auger on 4 different trips (always have my eskimo as a backup). Sorry about your experience but I agree I would have pushed the store to handle the problem…..

doonan
    Storm Lake, IA

I have wondered how a big box store would of handled the situation. I bought it from a bait shop where I do the majority of my fishing. I would rather buy local if at all possible, but I’m not sure that will happen on my big ticket items anymore.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

really is to bad, because they had (pre rapala days) an amazing service center. you could walk in there and they would just usually give you parts right there! and sometimes put them on while you wait for free! ah, those were the days……..

Ill second that. Then again you most likely where not going to run that auger to rogers from Iowa.

BBKK
    IA

I don’t think it is the store’s responsibility to take the auger back after nearly 30 days. Within the same week absolutely, two weeks yeah.. but not that long. You should have returned it when it had the first problem back in Dec.

Quote:

The number is on the website. Click contact, then distributors list. It gives the Normark headquarters address with phone and fax.

Normark Corporation

Phone: +1 952 933 7060

Fax: +1 952 933 0046

Postal address:
    10395 Yellow Circle Drive
    Minnetonka, MN 55343
    USA

Quote:

You can still drop into the service center on Yellow Circle, Jason the same amazing tech is still working and would do the same as he ever would.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Quote:

I have wondered how a big box store would of handled the situation. I bought it from a bait shop where I do the majority of my fishing. I would rather buy local if at all possible, but I’m not sure that will happen on my big ticket items anymore.

It helps knowing it was from a small shop… I can see where they get pinched on it. May not have another available… and may have less ability to demand support from the manufacturer if they did swap it out. Too bad. Sounds like you did everything right. I agree with a few of the comments… the store would have ate it, but I can see where that is harder with a small outfit.

Last year, or maybe the year prior I contacted the service center someone posted here in MN… carb rebuild kit. They were great to work with. Think that was right before the big change.

doonan
    Storm Lake, IA

Quote:

Quote:

The number is on the website. Click contact, then distributors list. It gives the Normark headquarters address with phone and fax.

Normark Corporation

Phone: +1 952 933 7060

Fax: +1 952 933 0046

Postal address:
    10395 Yellow Circle Drive
    Minnetonka, MN 55343
    USA

I have gone through the strikemaster website and don’t see the page you are talking about. Do you have a link?

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Quote:

I don’t think it is the store’s responsibility to take the auger back after nearly 30 days. Within the same week absolutely, two weeks yeah.. but not that long. You should have returned it when it had the first problem back in Dec.

A big box store I assure you I would not have left with new unit, or a refund in prime season time. Understand things happen… but I would have left up to the store to “make” the manufacturer eat it. No way I accept that situation. Small local guy, yea, it sucks all the way around.

How often do people buy these units well before the season starts… I am pretty sure a big box would still deal with it differently even 2 or 3 months out, right after season started.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Used my Honda a few times last year. This fall I noticed that oil was leaking on the garage floor from the base of the powerhead. Got ahold of Strikemaster and they sent a call tag in a couple of days. Boxed the powerhead via UPS. New powerhead arrived within a week. New unit works fine.
    bestfishes – jim

Quote:

I have gone through the strikemaster website and don’t see the page you are talking about. Do you have a link?

doonan – I admit it’s a bit hard to find, took me 5 minutes to find it again…

Follow this link, click the upper contact us, then click distributors, then select USA. The page that shows the $# doesn’t give the link, or I’d post that too.

http://www.rapala.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-rapala-Site/default/Folder-Show?fdid=rapala-contact-us&id=1

4walleye
    Central SD

Ghee, I just came home with a new Honda lite 8″ from Cabelas this afternoon and now I read this post. They had $70 off from the original price. Hope I was one of the fortunate one’s who purchased a good one? Cabelas did offer a 2 year warranty, but I thought it should be the Strike master corporation that stands by their product. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to talk to a real person when you are trying to get an issue resolved. I already sold my old reliable Strike master with the 2cycle Tecumseh engine.

stevedobie
    Central, MN

Good Drilling Auger, but when you have an issue BAD service.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

That really sucks!! I would of been real HOT!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.