Can someone give me clarity?

• Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I believe you are following the spirt of the law and

NHams point all along is there should be nothing based on assumptions and spirits of the law. Its kind of frustrating that we have so many regulations like this that get discussed repeatedly because there is gray area.

Whatever happened to common sense? I think it is a huge problem with society these days that we are completely turning into a black and white world. The gray areas involve some thought and common sense and without them we would end up with a 1200 page fishing regulations book.

Bring back common sense!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I already got back a response from a DNR rep when I pressed the wrong button and sent my letter prematurely

He is looking at it now hopefully and we will have an answer shortly.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Anyone interested in some friendly betting while we are waiting?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ll offer you a free guided ice fishingtrip on Medicine that they say 5 & 7 are illegal.

Sorry, I’ve been refering to you as Nham with 1 m.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

I’ll offer you a free guided ice fishingtrip on Medicine that they say 5 & 7 are illegal.

Sorry, I’ve been refering to you as Nham with 1 m.

Unbelievably offense!!!! Just call me Hammer, thought of changing the name, its just what i used for all my gaming tags way back when.

Bet is on, only I really didn’t think what I could do in return, don’t have anything cool to offer, maybe a guided cat fishing trip over NE in summer. Got a lil cardinal reel from last sport show that I hate and is too small for anything too I’d be willing to give up, cause let’s face it, they are going to see things my way

timmy

Regardless of what the up-tops say in a response, it is still up to the actual officer in the field to write or not write a ticket. Right or wrong, an officer can write a ticket and simply tell you that you have a great point and that the judge will probably side with you. Then it becomes your obligation to follow through and contest it. Our local warden is well known for finding technicalities to write tickets over and has a very high rate of his tickets dismissed when people actually fight back and show up in court.

What is it worth to you just to be right? Personally, it wouldn’t be worth the hassle to me.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

How can you possibly say it doesn’t matter what the “up-tops” say in any type of business, or government. It is all about what they say, and if your local CO is that big of a dink where he is writing tickets for legal stuff, I would notify those “up-tops” about that bc that is the type of publicity they don’t want, and I am sure they would correct that particular CO in a hurry if alerted to the situation.

It is not my goal to be right, rarely ever is, just to find the truth. And the truth as I read it eludes to what I have already stated. Another email has been sent off to make sure they had received my first one, especially since the response I got for my premature email that wasn’t completed got a reply within 2 minutes this morning. It may take time but hopefully we can get an answer here.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I believe you are following the spirt of the law and

NHams point all along is there should be nothing based on assumptions and spirits of the law. Its kind of frustrating that we have so many regulations like this that get discussed repeatedly because there is gray area.

Whatever happened to common sense? I think it is a huge problem with society these days that we are completely turning into a black and white world. The gray areas involve some thought and common sense and without them we would end up with a 1200 page fishing regulations book.

Bring back common sense!

I completely agree with you Will. But not defending my common sense, but rather that of the DNR’s. These things have to be thought of before being put into writing, and with all the other states regs being different as well as another countries with its different provinces to the north we can’t assume everyones common sense is the same. I saw Doug Stange fish a double rigged minnow on a video one time because that was common where he was. What if a person from that particular province (I think it was Canada) came to MN, saw the reg book and read it up and down, what other conclusion would they come to than the one I stated? Or the myriad of people from who knows what country that I fish with all year long down here in the city? The DNR knows these situations are present, and that is why common sense is very subjective, and grey areas like this can happen, but need to be ironed out, and there is a way to make this happen.

timmy

What I wrote and meant did not come out right….. Of course it matters what they say, but my thought was that at the point of contact with a warden – you had better have the documentation of what those higher ups told you. Without that, the warden can and likely will write a ticket and let a judge decide. (more likely, the ticketed will not fight it due to the time and $$ and just pay the fine and move on).

As far as our local warden being a pain, yes…..there is a rather lengthy petition at a few local busineses to have him reprimanded. He lives to write tickets and rides the edge of harrassment in his daily duties. Quite honestly, I am surprised he has not ran into the wrong person and had bad trouble……

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Update…..

Sent an email via the MN DNR website again this morning to get an update on my email I had sent wed. Left me phone and email and within minutes I had Kevin K. on the phone from St.Paul(headquarters). My last email had not been sent, or they didn’t receive it, either way he asked what he could do for me. I paraphrase here but

“Can you use multiple baits on all the hooks?”

“Yes”

“So three hooks within 9″ could have 3 seperate baits attached to each hook?”

“Yes, the law strictly has to do with hooks. You can use 3 minnows, 3 worms, whatever you like really.”

“Fantastic, I love you Kevin, you made my dreams come true by being able to fish with Pug.”. (OK I didn’t say this last part, but kind of wanted too )

BBKK
    IA

Now call your local conservation officer and ask this question, not the gray area question….

“Can I use three hooks on one line, with three crappie minnows, for jigging crappie through the ice”. When he says no, ask “what if they are within 9″ of each other?” and see what he says.

After all, he will be the one to write you the ticket… not a guy who sits behind the desk and quotes laws all day.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I think Nhamm has it. I’d keep a copy for the CO and tell him to call Kevin.

As for Nhamm’s dreams coming true, I think you are sick in the head.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

As for Nhamm’s dreams coming true, I think you are sick in the head.

Now that’s a real grey area!

All in time boys, I think this will work out for everybody who enjoys more freedom.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I think Nhamm has it. I’d keep a copy for the CO and tell him to call Kevin.

A copy of the phone call?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

A copy of the phone call?

Maybe someone can transcribe and notarize it for him.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

WWMCD?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

WWMCD?

Be snakebit and not contribute any secondary scoring.

Aaron “Chico” Rodriguez
    Forest Lake, MN

Hey Flaggers… I make custom tip-up rigs for a few local shops so I also wanted to get some clarity on the legal rigs. I spoke w/ Pat Watts at the DNR and got some things cleared up but much is still unclear so I will be sending in some pics of rigs and some prototypes to see what is legal and will post the updates. You do not have to add blades and blades do not make it an artificial. The multiple hooks cannot be more than 9″ apart under the single tackle configuration but that would make for some short rigs under the normal upside down Y looking rigs we are used to. The single rigs are fine but trebles not connected by one piece may or may not be in MN… hope to hear back soon

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Hey there Chico! Hope all this confusion can get cleared up for all of us anglers. I have also been in touch with Pat Watts and your Y-rig would be illegal.

Quote:

Anglers may use up to three single or multiplepronged (example – treble) hooks on a line used as a single tackle configuration attached to the end of a fishing line

Doesn’t refer to multiple lines, which the Y rig would entail, rather a single. Now if you had them setup under the stinger setup, within 3″ of each other and being only the 2 hooks, that would be legal. Of course this is just my interpretation of the law, technically it doesn’t say “a single line”, but as they say “the spirit” would. Please post your email you receive back.

Viewing 19 posts - 31 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.