Can someone give me clarity?

• Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

What is the translation for rigging up your tip ups? To my understanding, it is illegal for a single treble hook, yet a harness with two plain trebles are legal…?
    Help me understand this rule correctly.
    Thanks guys

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

beads and spinner with the treble hooks make it a lure

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Oh boy, not this debate again. I think the consensus last time I posted was no one really knows, everyone has an opinion but as far as fact goes no emails from the DNR to clarify anything has been sent.

Quote:

Anglers may use up to three single or multiplepronged
    (example – treble) hooks on a line used as a single tackle configuration
    attached to the end of a fishing line
    – The total length of the single tackle configuration from the first hook to the
    last hook must be nine inches or less.

I will try to post some pics as to what I translate that to, regardless if you are using one rod, or two on the ice.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

– This single tackle configuration is not considered an artificial fly or lure/
    bait, and no additional hooks may be used. Adding a bead, blade, or
    spinner does not make it into an artificial lure/bait.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Quote:

Quote:

– This single tackle configuration is not considered an artificial fly or lure/
    bait, and no additional hooks may be used. Adding a bead, blade, or
    spinner does not make it into an artificial lure/bait.

why not? isn’t that what a spinner rig is? beads, blade, and a couple hooks? how is it different than hanging it under a tip up? I’m so confused. Should have asked the conservation officer that stopped me two weekends ago.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Assuming plastics were real minnows, or not, and all hooks are no longer than 9″ apart, these are legal. No literature I have seen to date says otherwise. Good luck fishing, if I ice fished my rig would be 3 #6 hooks 2″ apart on a dropshot with fatheads.

BBKK
    IA

It seems quite easy to understand to me. You can use up to 3 treble hooks on a single tackle configuration. Single tackle meaning one baited presentation. So a quick strike rig is legal, you can put 2 or 3 trebles into a sucker and hang it. Doesn’t mean you can put three trebles on your line and put three minnows on for crappie fishing.

And up to 3 would include one IMO.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

In your opinion Kevin, but does it state that anywhere? No. I don’t get where everyone thinks just BC you have a single bait it can’t have multiple minnows on it? So if someone was throwing Moxies and put a minnow on it would be illegal, a bait is a bait no matter what contents are in it, alive or dead

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

So, a simple treble hook tied to a flouro leader with a minnow is legal in MN?

BBKK
    IA

That’s how it reads to me…

One bait is one bait. A moxie with a minnow on it is one bait, a moxie with a minnow. 18 waxworms on a 3/0 hook is still one bait. Two minnows on one jig head is one bait. Two hooks in one minnow is one bait. Three hooks in one crawler is one bait. Three crawlers on one hook is one bait. Two hooks and two minnows is two baits, even if you put a few beads in front of them.

nhamm, it sure sounds like you are looking for a gray area to use two hooks and two minnows. Its going to fall back on “how would a reasonable person interpenetrate the regulations” That phrase “reasonable person” is a key word in law. In most people’s opinion 2 hooks and 2 minnows is going to be 2 presentations. A CO could write that up if he felt like it. If I were the judge I’d say its two baits.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

How about a treble hook but two of the hooks are barbless?
    Just kidding. I would ask the DNR and if they say it’s ok I would want a letter stating that and I would keep it in my tackle box. Then if a co thought it was illegal the letter might save a ticket. If it’s illegal then that’s that.
    But I would go straight to the DNR as there seems to be no certain answer to be found here.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

That’s how it reads to me…

One bait is one bait. A moxie with a minnow on it is one bait, a moxie with a minnow. 18 waxworms on a 3/0 hook is still one bait. Two minnows on one jig head is one bait. Two hooks in one minnow is one bait. Three hooks in one crawler is one bait. Three crawlers on one hook is one bait. Two hooks and two minnows is two baits, even if you put a few beads in front of them.

nhamm, it sure sounds like you are looking for a gray area to use two hooks and two minnows. Its going to fall back on “how would a reasonable person interpenetrate the regulations” That phrase “reasonable person” is a key word in law. In most people’s opinion 2 hooks and 2 minnows is going to be 2 presentations. A CO could write that up if he felt like it. If I were the judge I’d say its two baits.

No grey at all for this guy. A single tackle configuration can have as many baits on it as you want. The important thing is what defines the single tackle configuration, whether it be a single jig, spinner rig, quickstrike, or 3 single hooks no longer than 9″, right?

castle-rock-clown

I’ve seen on fishing shows filmed on Green Bay (Lake Michigan) where they were fishing for white fish and had two hooks on one line that looked more than nine inches apart, it more looked like eightteen inches. Is this legal on this body of water using Wi regs. Sorry if this is unrelated to this thread being a different set of rules on a different type body of water.

ozzyky
    On water

I got stopped in Frontenac about ten years ago and asked the co this question. I was tip up fishing w/ a treble hook but had a spinner atop the leader. This was legal. Had my spinner not been there it would have been considered three lines and illegal. That’s what he told me I can’t verify if it is legit or not. Dumbest rule ever in my opinion.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Years ago that was true. The spinner had to be added to become a lure. But the new regs wipe that out and have clear rules on to that setup now which I have already quoted from the reg book.

ozzyky
    On water

So your saying that is no longer legal or I don’t need to worry about the spinner being attached anymore.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Isn’t Frontenac in WI? We be talking MN rules. Never mind, I Googled it.

I think a single treble under the hook is illegal. Come on guys, they are giving us a break by allowing quick strikes. Don’t push it.

My guess is a single treble has a greater chance of being swallowed.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

So your saying that is no longer legal or I don’t need to worry about the spinner being attached anymore.

Adding beads or spinners does not make 1-3 hooks on a line into a lure. Reason being that 1-3 hooks within 9″ from front to end is now legal, where as before a single treble hook would count as 3 hooks, obligating us to put a spinner on the front to make it a lure, and legal. I think it actually makes a lot of sense of the dNR going this route because now you can do whatever the heck you want with three hooks, as a spinner rig, quick strike, or how I represented in my photos and its all thrown under the umbrella of the single tackle configuration and all legal.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Isn’t Frontenac in WI? We be talking MN rules. Never mind, I Googled it.

I think a single treble under the hook is illegal. Come on guys, they are giving us a break by allowing quick strikes. Don’t push it.

My guess is a single treble has a greater chance of being swallowed.

Now you are just trying to get me going. This is from page 17 of 2013 regs, this would be legal but one treble not? C’mon now let’s not feed rumors.

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

That explains it, thanks NHamm!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Oh I got it now. Up to 3 hooks, no more than 9″ with bait. That makes 1 treble legal.

Lures can have 1 extra hook trailing attached to a line.

I still think 5 and 7 of your pictures would be illegal even with live bait. The only way it would be legal is if you used 1 bait like 1 minnow or 1 crawler. But who am I to judge?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Oh I got it now. Up to 3 hooks, no more than 9″ with bait. That makes 1 treble legal.

I still think 5 and 7 of your pictures would be illegal even with live bait. The only way it would be legal is if you used 1 bait like 1 minnow or 1 crawler. But who am I to judge?

Where does it say that we are only allowed to use one piece of live bait on your tackle configuration? Don’t give me that its implied either.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Where does it say that we are only allowed to use one piece of live bait on your tackle configuration? Don’t give me that its implied either.

The closest I get is they use a stinger hook as an example. I am in no way implying that I am right.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

Goes back to “what would a reasonable person assume?”. All laws are not black and white.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Goes back to “what would a reasonable person assume?”. All laws are not black and white.

So I couldn’t put a gob of worms on a treble for catfish, or 5 waxies or a couple minnow heads on a slender for ice fishing? That seems unreasonable. All fall under the single tackle config. Is it at all not possible that the DNR didn’t think of this while remaking the law, and decided to not be the super conservative regulators and decided to relax on just one of its laws for us? I do, and I thank them for it and will take advantage as such, and if I ever run into a CO I will pass that word onto them as well.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So I couldn’t put a gob of worms on a treble for catfish, or 5 waxies or a couple minnow heads on a slender for ice fishing? That seems unreasonable. All fall under the single tackle config. Is it at all not possible that the DNR didn’t think of this while remaking the law, and decided to not be the super conservative regulators and decided to relax on just one of its laws for us? I do, and I thank them for it and will take advantage as such, and if I ever run into a CO I will pass that word onto them as well.

Again, what would a reasonable person assume… when they made the laws they figured most people would know multiple living organisms on one hook is still one bait and two baits on two hooks is two baits………

I can guarantee you if you fish that rig you talked about with three crappie minnows under the ice you will get a ticket for using too many hooks. And then you’ll have to spend your own money on a lawyer to try and tell the judge your way of interpreting the law is correct and the conservation officer was wrong. Good luck with that.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Is it at all not possible that the DNR didn’t think of this while remaking the law, and decided to not be the super conservative regulators and decided to relax on just one of its laws for us?

Fat Chance!

That’s the whole problem is that we have all come to know them as super conservative to a point where it makes some of the simplest laws hard to follow. I am not faulting COs obviously, but the people making the regs.

I hope that the 2014 regs add a little clarification.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

You are OK using a single treble and a quick strike rig with multiple trebles as long as you are only using one minnow.

It gets a little more gray when you start talking about multiple minnows/pieces of bait. I believe you are following the spirt of the law and probably OK to put as many minnows as you want a single treble hook (basically no different than loading up your panfish jig with multiple wax worms); however IMO having multiple hooks attached separately to your line with bait on both hooks would be a violation. Therefore based on Nhamm’s pics I think pic 5 & 7 would result in a ticket.

I should also add that my opinion is based on having a few discussions with COs who are fine with quick strikes as long as only a single minnow is involved.

g-no
    Minnesota

FYI, here’s where to find this law…

MN Rule 6262.0100 Subp. 6

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I believe you are following the spirt of the law and

NHams point all along is there should be nothing based on assumptions and spirits of the law. Its kind of frustrating that we have so many regulations like this that get discussed repeatedly because there is gray area.

To top it off we spend time and energy when I bet if he got stopped and asked to show his license, a CO probably would never even ask about a rig. I don’t think I have ever had to show a CO the equipment I was using. If a CO did, he’d probably see Nham as a smart butt trying to push the limits (so to speak) and write him a ticket, when Nham does have a point and some footing because most of us see it as a gray area.

I mean, I am talking about it and I can guarantee you I will never rig like 5 and 7. Not necessarily because I think it is is illegal, but I don’t see the point.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.