Sell the Otter and Get a Hub Style? Weigh in!

• cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Pulling the Otter Cabin is becoming problematic. Insert…too heavy in snow. Insert…out of shape. Also, It is a bugger to get up into my truck by myself. The idea of a hub style shanty has been pondered. I have a couple young girls that have been showing a greater interest in fishing and hanging out on the ice. I like the flexibility of the hub. I love the tanklike features of the otter. But, I just don’t use it like I should.

I realize this issue has been discussed at great lengths. Keeping both is not a financially feasible option. Please weigh in. Give me an opinion about brands. Make me an offer on the otter. It’s a three year old (blue camo) Otter Cabin in great shape.

Thanks.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

Pulling the Otter Cabin is becoming problematic. Insert…too heavy in snow. Insert…out of shape. Also, It is a bugger to get up into my truck by myself. The idea of a hub style shanty has been pondered. I have a couple young girls that have been showing a greater interest in fishing and hanging out on the ice. I like the flexibility of the hub. I love the tanklike features of the otter. But, I just don’t use it like I should.

I realize this issue has been discussed at great lengths. Keeping both is not a financially feasible option. Please weigh in. Give me an opinion about brands. Make me an offer on the otter. It’s a three year old (blue camo) Otter Cabin in great shape.

Thanks.

I only own an Otter Lodge and if I’m pulling it by hand after snow is on the lake here is what I use

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Will…that is sharp. I’ll take one. Fedex work for you?

ghost78
    Minnesota

I was having the same issues when it came to lifting my Otter into the bed of my truck by myself. I got a few 2×4’s and made a very inexpensive ramp and now I can easily slide it into the bed

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

Personally I’ve got an older 1 man fish trap I use when going solo. I picked up the clam six pack hub last year, so I can take the kiddos and get more fishing time. The six pack is less than 40 pounds, sets up in 2 minutes. Plenty of room in there for kids + gear & holes. My oldest son sometimes will bring the fish trap to stay mobile and get away from the “annoying lil bros” so it’s the best of both worlds. I have found the best way to fish the hub with kiddos is to drill the holes close to the shack perimeter and sit in the middle.

HUB houses are disposable. Otter houses are not disposable. It’s really that simple.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Will !!!

That ROCKS !!! Great Idea !!!

pass0047
    Pool4

Do you bungie your fish house to the skis?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

Will…that is sharp. I’ll take one. Fedex work for you?

LOL – Honestly probably cheaper to build your own than than pay for shipping… Just pick up a pair of old x-country skis on Craigslist or at a 2nd hand store. Google Shmitty sled to see plenty of ideas on how others have made theirs… I actually made mine with hinges so that it folds up, but don’t have a picture so I just grabbed an example off of google images this morning.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

Do you bungie your fish house to the skis?

I added eye bolts both at the front of the skies for attaching a tow rope and then also on the outside edges of my front 2×4’s where I can use a ratchet strap to hold it down tight if needed. I would only reccomend using this setup for pulling by hand however (wouldn’t hold up behind an ATV or snowmobile) so it doesn’t need to be held down very tight.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

If you have read any other hub posts over the last few months, you will have probably heard me chime in as to how much I hate mine. That being said all of my frustrations are with my own Eskimo Hub… maybe they make them better now–or maybe I just got a bad apple, but I wouldn’t wish my experiences with that hub on anyone else. Even with a hub, you will still likely be pulling a sled with all your gear anyhow, so keep that in mind. If you don’t already have an Otter sled you will want to get one with the Hub purchase. The more you pull a sled, the more your body strengthens for pulling a sled. However if you still want to go the hub route, let me know how much you want for your Otter.

kwmagic
    Rochester, MN

I own both a sled style and hub style shelter. the hub style is great for weight, I can carry it on my back like a back pack and easily fits in my suv. the main draw back is wind. if its windy it is a pain to put up especially if alone. but with an extra hand or 2 it is easier. having to anchor it down and also the windward hub side can take some time. portability is also a draw back. With the sled style just grab the rope and go. it take a little more to move especially if its windy. I have the eskimo fatfish 949 so love how roomy it is! I can walk around and stretch. especially when i take the kids along. if I had a truck i would get a bigger sled style, but it is nice to pack light and be comfortable as well. price is also a plus!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I left the otter home and used the hub today. Very very pleased with my choice.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Quote:

I left the otter home and used the hub today. Very very pleased with my choice.

Wade. I appreciate the insight. What brand did you go with? I just saw an Eskimo 949 for $199 at Farm n Fleet.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

First thing I would do is talk to guys about hubs and problems. I hear a lot of guys commenting on clam hub issues. I have a Frabill Outpost. I to had problems with this hub but Frabill replaced the whole unit with one phone call and within 3 days of phone call. That was 2 years ago. Awesome customer service. No issues with new one. I know a couple guys with Eskimo hubs and no issues. They seem happy. I hear good things about the Fatfish.

One thing I would recommend is buy the ice drill attachment right away. Since they are so light, I would consider thermal as well.

The KL Industries Sled can be bought at Wal-Mart (only 12#). http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000ZKPHDU

The Otter Medium Sport Sled is about the same specs. I would seriously consider getting the large otter sport sled. The extra room is worth the extra 5# weight.

For example with the FatFish 949i, Otter Large Sled camp chair you are at 56# vs the plus or minus 100# of your otter.

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

I am very happy with my Clam Big Foot XL4000. It has seen a lot of use over the last two years. I don’t understand all of the complains about setting it up in the wind. Sure it can be a little difficult but my son went out last week on a windy day by himself and set it up….no problem. We really like the extra room it provides. Last year we were fishing with my bother and his son (they have a Frabil flip over) and after some time all 4 of us were in the hub. We weren’t all fishing….they just came over to shoot the bull. So we had 4 adults in there with no problem…and three of us are over 220 pounds! So I think you and your daughters will like the extra room and you will find a hub style easy to haul. Good luck.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Chris,

Looks like you have made your decision already but I am a “hub guy” and will say I have liked them. My decision is based on the fact that I have SUV’s that I would have to fold down or remove the seats from to take a fold-over and that means I can’t take more than 1 other passenger with me. I have owned 2 Eskimo hubs with the newest being the Fatfish 949 and I have liked them both and had no issues with either of them. The ice screws make a difference on windy days but I have used it 20-30 mph winds and been ok. I still use a Jet sled to haul my gear onto the ice but that is far less weight than most fold overs – now I just need to get a lighter power auger…

Good luck!

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Quote:

Chris,

Looks like you have made your decision already but I am a “hub guy” and will say I have liked them. My decision is based on the fact that I have SUV’s that I would have to fold down or remove the seats from to take a fold-over and that means I can’t take more than 1 other passenger with me. I have owned 2 Eskimo hubs with the newest being the Fatfish 949 and I have liked them both and had no issues with either of them. The ice screws make a difference on windy days but I have used it 20-30 mph winds and been ok. I still use a Jet sled to haul my gear onto the ice but that is far less weight than most fold overs – now I just need to get a lighter power auger…

Good luck!

Thanks. I see the 949 for $199. Can’t find it new any cheaper.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

I will chime in late if you do not mind. This year I decided to buy a Eskimo fatfish 949i and so far it is been great to fish out of the 3 times I used it.

My Frabill flip over (Preditor) is a tank to pull and after selling my 4wheelers that was the reason for the hub purchase.

You still need a sled to pull your gear but you do get a choice in how big and heavy that will be.

riverrat21
    duluth,mn

I own a nanook and a base camp thermal hub…In my opinion the hub is the way to go..its so much roomier and will fit in the backseat of a car..i would definitely go with a thermal version as well..ive owned a quickfish and a expedition non thermal hub,and would have to say i love the basecamp thermal hub,way warmer,cuts the wind,and there’s little to no condensation build up in the inside..my only complaint is they can be a pain in the butt to fold up when fishing in below zero temps..i picked up a pelican utility sled for 21.99 at l and m fleet and with one bungee i can pull out all of my gear on it,shack and auger included..

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I have a Frabill predator single hub clam and double hub clam. Frabill only goes on days when I know I’ll be all over the ice. I am very happy with the clams except windows are too high, you have to stand up to check your tip ups. As for kids hands down the hub is the way to go.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

I was having the same issues when it came to lifting my Otter into the bed of my truck by myself. I got a few 2×4’s and made a very inexpensive ramp and now I can easily slide it into the bed

My buddy got some cheap rollers and mounted them in boards just so the tops of the wheels stick out. He hooked up a remote control winch($90) in the bed of his truck, hooks it up, pushes a button and it rolls right into his truck!

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Thanks for the input. I did go with the 949. Now I need to sell the Otter.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.