Help please!!

• zachabbott
    NULL

So my buddy gave me this mora hand ice auger. When I try to drill, it spins all over the place. I just got some blades from the bait shop. I’ve heard people telling me to put some sort of medals and plastics under the blade, so that the blades can catch more ice, but when I try it still doesn’t drill a hole. Any suggestions or quick fixes that anyone knows of. The blades are put on right, and they are very sharp.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

take the stupid pennies out would be the first thing. It just takes practice and to hold it steady when you start.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Mine did the same thing coming out of storage this year. Would barely shave a hole. I put new blades (stainless) on it yesterday…cut like a champ today.

wallster
    Austin, MN

They might seem sharp to you, but they actually could be too dull to cut ice. I would try a new set of blades. When I was younger I had to use an auger like that one. It was new blades every year.
    Wallster ><((((>

BBKK
    IA

There is no way those rusted blades are sharp enough to cut ice.

I had a buddy run a lazer into the sand bottom once, we pulled it out and checked the blades.. they were sharp, REAL SHARP. But not sharp enough to cut ice, took a good 10 minutes to cut two holes and then we sat all day jigging those two holes.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I cut shims from an aluminum can to add a little more cutting angle on mine. It doesn’t take much.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

x2 might look and feel super sharp but it does’nt take much and they are dull.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Get new blades.
    Those old Mora augers need a lot of down pressure to get a hole started. once the hole is formed it will not want to wander on you. Its a learned practice.
    Happy to not practice that any longer myself…

zachabbott
    NULL

For shims, would you just cut a piece of an aluminum pop can and put it between the blade and the auger? Not sure never done it. Thanks

corey_bechtold

Are you turning it the right way? lol

From my experience it pays to turn it slowly to start. Once it starts to bite then it’ll take off.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

You need new blades, I have had a auger like that for years an still use mine. If it hopes all over when starting a new hole your blades are dull. When I put new blades on mine you don’t have to push down at all, if you push down you will dull then blades ,just turn and the auger will cut the ice. An try to hold the auger as straight as possible when turning. I have cut hundreds of holes with that same auger over the years with no issues except changing blades.

692fisherman
    champlin mn

they sucked when they were new! sorry

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I once struggled to get one of those old blue moras working again. Finally gave up and bought a new auger.

milemark_714

Get a set of new FACTORY blades.The resharps from whoever are dicey at best.The factory blades do come with a shim strip,looks like yours is MIA.

I never had problems with that style of auger in the past,but only used factory blades.Tried resharpening once,no cigar.And that was with Mora’s tool.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

If the pitch is off, new blades won’t help. This can be caused by slamming the auger on the ice, or possibly a mishap trying to break through the ice.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

A long long long time ago when I had a mora I exchanged blades at the local bait shop and it just wouldn’t cut. I ended up going to gander and buying new ones and it worked fine after that. Your best bet is to get new blades.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.