New Battery for Flashers?

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James, is there a battery management system built into the Lithium Ion from Ice Force? Meaning, will it completely go dead or is there some type of reserve system to prevent this and allow for overall longevity (cycles) out of this battery?

Sorry. I will readily admit that I’m a bit of a nube when it comes to battery chemistry and design so I don’t have an answer for your particular question.

Most lithium batteries that I tested did NOT do well in the cold resulting in very short run times in much the same way guys ran into issues powering augers with Lithium batteries last winter. Their augers worked well when the battery was warm. When it got cold… not so much. I think it goes without saying that most of us can expect it to be cold when we ice fish so this was a primary concern during testing.

I tested the Ice Force battery at very low temps without any perceivable performance issues. Will the Ebay battery linked above work well? I don’t know. I didn’t test that particular battery brand so I couldn’t say one way or the other.

iceaholic

I like to avoid paying shipping whenever possible.

Any idea if these will be at the St Paul Ice Show or other shows?

turkeynate
    Iowa

Anybody pull the trigger on one of these this year and have a report. Biggest advantage I see is shedding 3lbs. of weight. Would make hole hoping so much easier.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I have the solar sportsmen model it’s green costs a little bit more but I just love it. It lasts longer than my old battery, charges way faster and it is lighter. I have fished for 4 days on one charge this year and I could barley get 2 outta my old one.. Well worth it in my opinion.

hank-s.
    Pardeeville, WI 53954

I have the K2 energy battery unit with management and I love it. The lighter unit is great and the quick charge is nice though not needed for my use. I can run all day and the battery drops from 13.5V down to about 12.8V. The next day it will drop down to 12.2V and I run my backlight up around 50% and do camera from time to time on my LX9. I have yet to run it dead except when my charger quit and I was not aware of it. The LX9 will run down to about 9.8 volts before shutting down so you can run the battery way down below any point it should be discharged.

bee
    Maine

I dropped some money yesterday for one. Only I opted for a 4.5 amp. I only fish for a couple hours at a time so hope it will hold out. Cost was 60.00. Got mine from Power Stream.

walleye555

I have been using a lithium made by Bioenno all season on my FL18 with nothing but good to report. For me, the weight reduction alone is well worth the $100- spent for the battery & charger.

I’ve got six clean republic lithium batteries that I’m running. My favorite feature is the quick charge-time. If you’re running low, you can top off with enough juice for a full day in about an hour.

3 of the lithium batteries are new this year, 3 have been ran hard last year and this season with zero issues.

turkeynate
    Iowa

Thanks for the reports guys! Anybody using the Ice Force battery?

Josh Haynes

James, I live in Isanti MN, and work in Rogers MN. I’m wondering if you know of any retailer that sells the Ice Force Lithium battery. Thanks for whatever info you can give me?

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

James, I live in Isanti MN, and work in Rogers MN. I’m wondering if you know of any retailer that sells the Ice Force Lithium battery. Thanks for whatever info you can give me?

The battery is only available on the Rapala website.
    I know this because I asked around at several retailers, and finally asked Rapala at the St. Paul Ice Show.
    I bought one in December and have used mine about 6 times on the ice, and I can say that it was worth the price.
    I’m considering a second battery for my back up flasher. It’s really that good.
    Some have said they can get the same battery on ebay for a lot less, but I am pretty leery of some of the no name batteries on the market. I’ve had enough bad experiences that I prefer to stick with a brand that will back up their product if something goes wrong with it.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.