New Battery for Flashers?

• tucrs
    NW Metro

I know some of you have used the new flasher batteries last year any feedback from them last year?

Are they worth the price. I think these were Lithium Ion?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

At the beginning of the season last year I had the opportunity to run a number of different lithium 12v in my cameras and flashers as a season long test. After sorting through a bunch of cheap garbage found on E Bay, I finally found a battery worthy of a serious look. What I found was a good lithium does offer some benefits over gel cells. Of course the downside is cost.

First and foremost given that many, including myself, have expressed concern over using a lithium power source in cold temps, I didn’t experience any issues with the higher quality batteries I tested. I fished with them up in Ontario with temps at 25 – 30 below and the worked flawlessly.

The weight difference between the 12v – 10 AMP lithium I tested and a gel cell 12v. – 9 AMP battery is very noticeable. A 12v. – 9 AMP gel cell weighs in at 5# 9 oz. A 12v – 10 AMP lithium weighs in at 2# 9 oz. If you’re a hole hopper, you’ll notice and appreciate the weight reduction.

Run-times favored the lithium considerably. I know the ratings only show a 1 AMP advantage going to the lithium battery but I saw substantial increases in run-times using the lithium. For instance, I usually get 8 – 10 hours of run time out of a 825 SD camera on a 9AMP gel cell. I saw twice that with the lithium allowing me to run a single battery in a 825 SD for a weekend of fishing. How does that extra 1 AMP allow that to happen? Beats me. When used in a flasher run-times became a non-issue. You could fish for days and days and DAYS if that lithium was powering an LX5 or LX7.

Recharge time also favors the lithium. From complete discharge to full charge takes about 2 hours using the included charger. Typically my gel cells need to charge overnight.

The cost of these batteries is steep. Expect to pay $30 – $40 for a good 9 AMP gel cell and about 3-4 times that much for a good lithium.

Will I run these batteries again this winter? Absolutely. I’ve also switched out all gel cells used to power camera lights and accessory motors that the production guys use in the field as well. The weight savings is significant but the quick recharge times and the longer runs times are the real motivator to make the investment. I’m also told that the lithiums will last about 5X longer than the gel cells. I don’t have the time in the field yet to prove that correct but my first full season of use went well enough to take the leap.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

James you forgot the most important part, what manufacturer battery and where to get it!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James you forgot the most important part, what manufacturer battery and where to get it!

I apologize for that. If I had that info I would have spilled the beans.

Last winter MarCum had me, along with a few others, start some testing. They sent me an assortment that was free of any identifiable manufacturer’s markings which is common when testing prototypes but it makes identifying the manufacturer difficult / impossible from the battery markings alone.

I’ve sent an email off to the right people to get the info on the battery that made the final cut. I would expect MarCum will be selling them this winter. After a check on their website I didn’t see anything for the new lithium batteries so I’ve inquired as to their plans.

My guess is I’ll have the scoop come monday AM. I’ll post what I find out.

tucrs
    NW Metro

That is great, Thank you James!

I knew there was a better battery, lighter and longer run time what is not to like. The price is worth it if this is the case.

Let us know where to get one. I am very interested even with spending over $100 bucks.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Thnaks James
    Seems like a no-brainer.
    Spill those beans

tucrs
    NW Metro

Wait this means I can live in my flipover!
    I can run my heater for about a week on a 20lber
    If my Lx9 does not dies for days I can be out there for days.

WOHOOOO

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

James, are you still recharging these batteries in the off season, like the gel cells? Or do these eliminate the need to periodically recharge?

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Quote:

that’s awesome it gives me all weekend to drink beer and save up the nickle deposits at the Iowa redemption center to pay for one.

DAN J

I have been using a K2 Lithium Phosphate 12 volt 10 amp for 2 years. I paid $130.00 plus shipping. It is the same size as a 7 amp but only 2.5 lbs. and is good for 2000 charges., holds a charge all summer. Cold doesn’t seem to affect it. They charge very fast, 2 hours. The only thing I found negative was when they go dead there is no warning. I run my locator,Gps and LED shack light all day with plenty of juice left.

ekruger01

IM gonna run the solor sportsman Li ion battery this winter! Awesome little light battery!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James, are you still recharging these batteries in the off season, like the gel cells? Or do these eliminate the need to periodically recharge?

No, I might be bucking the user manual but I haven’t found a need. The Li batteries I’ve been using don’t seem to discharge during hibernation like the gel cells we’re used to using.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Last winter MarCum had me, along with a few others, start some testing. They sent me an assortment that was free of any identifiable manufacturer’s markings which is common when testing prototypes but it makes identifying the manufacturer difficult / impossible from the battery markings alone.

I’ve sent an email off to the right people to get the info on the battery that made the final cut. I would expect MarCum will be selling them this winter. After a check on their website I didn’t see anything for the new lithium batteries so I’ve inquired as to their plans.

I’ve heard back on the Li batteries regarding additional info and availability. Rapala / MarCum will have all the info up on their website in 2 weeks. When that goes up I’ll post back here.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I run my locator,Gps and LED shack light all day with plenty of juice left.

Now all we need to do is get the prices down. I’m told the key to that is volume… I’m thinking the solution there is to get our buddies hooked on these things at the current prices so WE can buy them on the cheap down the road.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Now all we need to do is get the prices down. I’m told the key to that is volume… I’m thinking the solution there is to get our buddies hooked on these things at the current prices so WE can buy them on the cheap down the road.

Are you sure that isn’t why you posted the info in the first place?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are you sure that isn’t why you posted the info in the first place?

Trust me, I’ve already done my share when it comes to getting the volume up. I got the first pair in exchange for the testing. The other half dozen I bought from MarCum were at the going rate. With all the benefits the Li batteries have for what we do out there on the ice the industry’s conversion to Li from the gel cells we use now is only a matter of time.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

IM gonna run the solor sportsman Li ion battery this winter! Awesome little light battery!

x2 That thing is the real deal!

DAN J

I took a look at their web site. The green 12 volts are K2. As I said earlier I’ve been using the 10 amp for 2 years with great results. Their prices are a little high. If you look on Amazon you can get the same one for $179.95 plus $7.00 shipping and no sales tax. $184.95 and save your self $84.00.

iceaholic

Thanks Dan.

I’ll wait and see wait Ice Force’s price is on this vs. the amazon k2.

IceManiac

Seems like a lot, but also a lot of benefits. Hopefully I will be able to pick one up.

Thanks!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For those that have been following this topic FYI Rapala now has the version of the lithium ion 12v I used last winter >>> Rapala / Ice Force – 12V Lithium Ion Battery

They’re advertised as being half the weight and offering 5-times longer run times versus the gel cell version most use now. And, as we’ve all noticed, they’re not cheap. Hopefully in the next couple years we’ll start to see prices drop rapidly as more and more anglers start to adopt these lithium ion batteries.

turkeynate
    Iowa

James, do you know what kind of warranty there is on the Ice Force battery?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I love new battery technology but these prices need to come down. I can get 2-3 seasons out of a standard 9 amp $20 battery.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I appreciate quality in my tools, but have to admit that $150.00 for a battery is too much. I agree the light weight is great, but fear that with very few people willing to pay the price, they will simply go away; rather than come down in price.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James, do you know what kind of warranty there is on the Ice Force battery?

1 year.

To me, the fast charge time is the best feature of the Li batteries. Light is nice, but not worth the steep price. Folks can spend money better elsewhere saving weight, like on composite LP tanks or weight watchers.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I love new battery technology but these prices need to come down. I can get 2-3 seasons out of a standard 9 amp $20 battery.

The prices will almost certainly come down. Demand is strong. How much and how soon is the real question.

lakedocktor

Quote:

Link to a better price on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-9Ah-Lithium-Iron-Phosphate-LiFePO4-SEALED-Battery-w-PCM-AND-CHARGER-/181215369496?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item2a31471918

$99 + $10 shipping.

Try getting the quality out of that battery.

James, is there a battery management system built into the Lithium Ion from Ice Force? Meaning, will it completely go dead or is there some type of reserve system to prevent this and allow for overall longevity (cycles) out of this battery?

Keep in mind that you need a special charger for these batteries. Some on these batteries will come with the charger and others will not. The Ice Force battery also requires the $29.99 charger.

djshannon
    Crosslake

LakeDocktor most Lithium ion cells produce around 3 volts and the size of the cell provides the ampacity.

So, most higher voltage and ampacity batteries are made up of smaller cells in a combination of series and parallel connection.

In the Lithium world these cells may look like flashlight batteries or foil pouches. They are all spot-welded together with some kind of tab material.

The weak point of the manufacturing process is the quality of the spot-weld and its quality control.

The Force battery say that it is made in America. Does that mean like my Ford or Chevy, assembled in America from foreign parts.

With charger and shipping the e-bay battery is $109
    With charger and shipping the Force battery is $189.99

What did you buy for $80.99? From what I can decern an additional 6 month warranty.

For my money I would try e-bay. If it fails, I can always buy two lead acid gel cells with the money I saved.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.