Fishouse decisions…

• jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

Where too start? Looking at getting into a 6.5X14 or 6.5X16 wheeled house. Am very interested in aluminium construction home made or factory. Anyone have an experience building one or possibly owning a Yetti or something of that nature? Is it a lot cheaper to build at home etc.

weldon
    Rochester, Mn

I’ve been thinking the same, but too late this year to be worrying about that because the fish houses need to be off the ice before around March 1st. I am on a completely different approach though…

What I have in mind is something that one can assemble from panels, so it can be hauled to the ice on a snowmobile trailer and collapse for storage during the year.

I am thinking that one could make it from foam board with a 1 x 2 frame, but am still thinking about how best to assemble and whether one should consider some method of siding or shrink wrapping the panels. I am thinking that a thin paneling material would provide adequate strength. One needs to pin the corners in a manner to make it quick assembly.

Finally, due to this being lighter than a trailer, then one has to anchor it around the base by drilling holes into the ice and then freezing the anchor points. Or, it would be a kite in the wind…

Of course, the whole point of this would be to avoid having to drag a portable out each week and also to avoid having a trailer sitting in the yard year around.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I am designing a fish house in Solid Works (3D CAD). It has a stress analysis feature which allows me to try different materials and sizes. I’ve come to the conclusion you need twice the material in Aluminum to get the same strength as steel. In short, an aluminum house made to be the same strength as a steel house will weigh nearly as much.

Yetti houses are made near where I live and I’m hearing a lot of reports of cracked frames. Once the frame is tweaked the they can’t keep tires on em. Aluminum doesn’t handle fatigue like steel does either. I think people just assume an aluminum house will be so much lighter and stronger. I’d recommend doing some research on aluminum houses before buying anything.

The house I’m building will have a light steel frame and spray foamed for rigidity.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

For pinning the corners you can use door hinges with removable pins, same as on your interior house doors.

jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

I was wondering about that thanks…

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Quote:

For pinning the corners you can use door hinges with removable pins, same as on your interior house doors.

x2 friend use to have one done that way to

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Quote:

Where too start? Looking at getting into a 6.5X14 or 6.5X16 wheeled house. Am very interested in aluminium construction home made or factory. Anyone have an experience building one or possibly owning a Yetti or something of that nature? Is it a lot cheaper to build at home etc.

Don’t go with an aluminum frame if you want it to last. They just can’t handle the pounding that a heavy fishhouse will give it. Things will break.

It is always cheaper to buy one than to build and you will never get out of it what you have into it once you go to sell it. That is just the way it is. Nice thing is though, one that you build yourself you can make it the way you want it and build it solid.
    Factory made “pre-fab” houses, most are built too light or built cheaply. Again, things will break. Usually better off with one you made yourself or built by someone that knew what they were doing.

mike ice

Weldon, there is some plans on another site with exactly what your thinking, pretty slick idea. They used 1×2’s walls, 1/4″ osb for walls and 1/2″ on floor, foam board for insulation. Can be stacked against garage wall in off season.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Not to hi jack your subject but kinda related I am thinking of buying a ATV and using an aluminum trailer. What do you think of aluminum trailers for towing ATV’s and sleds?
    Thanks
    Bob

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Not to hi jack your subject but kinda related I am thinking of buying a ATV and using an aluminum trailer. What do you think of aluminum trailers for towing ATV’s and sleds?
    Thanks
    Bob

I have been towing my sleds with aluminum for 17 years. They dont rust, are lighter and I havent had one problem. I cant think of a single reason not to use them. My 6 year old steel trailer looks like **** now.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks
    Bob

I have been towing my sleds with aluminum for 17 years. They dont rust, are lighter and I havent had one problem. I cant think of a single reason not to use them. My 6 year old steel trailer looks like **** now.

Thanks
    Suzuki that’s what I was thinking too
    Bob

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks
    Bob

Nothing better than a quality aluminum trailer. Our 4 place Sled bed is going on 14 years with no problems. and we make it work hard as we use not only for sleds but delivering material to the job site.

With the abuse this trailer gets I cant imagine not using aluminum for an ice house frame.

Thanks
    Suzuki that’s what I was thinking too
    Bob

kegger

steel rusts but where steel and aluminum meet they oxidate and aluminum panels move around in the summer with heat so watch roof panels for leaks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.