Gillespie……….

• jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

not trying to take anything away from the tragedy on lake Superior but did anyone see the show this weekend and instantly question the ice thickness?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I was thinking the same thing,mainly some of those shots when they gathered near a hole to watch someone catch a fish. The ice seemed a little thin for that many people and equipment.

On a side note it is just to easy to get comfortable when anyone is doing a repetetive job or behavior.People can become complacent and not as alert to the dangers of a given situation.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I didn’t watch the show, but I’m seeing a lot of assumptions being made. This cold snap made a lot of ice here in south/central WI. But that still doesn’t mean its safe to park 8 3/4 ton trucks next to one another. I saw a couple trucks on Fox Lake again parked next to each other anbd water was coming up through the holes and ponding around the trucks.

Thoughts and prayers to Jim’s family. Such a tragedy.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

I didn’t watch the show, but I’m seeing a lot of assumptions being made. This cold snap made a lot of ice here in south/central WI. But that still doesn’t mean its safe to park 8 3/4 ton trucks next to one another. I saw a couple trucks on Fox Lake again parked next to each other anbd water was coming up through the holes and ponding around the trucks.

Thoughts and prayers to Jim’s family. Such a tragedy.

Wasn’t assuming or supposing anything Randy. Just stating a witnessed fact about questionable ice on lake Superior that cost a good man his life……….

cupspits

Yes I watched the show before I heard about the tragedy and was questioning it then. The ice was very sketchy looking hopefully everyone else will stay safe out there don’t push the limits not worth it when in doubt don’t go! Jim Hudson rip he will be missed

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Jeff Huberty, you hit the nail on the head with complacency. It is so easy to forget and get to comfterable on the ice. Also and I think Randy will attest to the fact that here in central Wisconsin it almost seems like a game to be the first ones to drive a vehicle on the ice. I have spent much time preaching ice safety just to have somebody go out and get away with something and make me look like a nerves Nelly.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to everybody effected by Jims passing. All though a great tragedy I hope some may learn from this.

castle-rock-clown

I’m saving up for a Striker Ice Climate jacket and bibs. I’m newer to ice fishing and when I see seasoned veterans get tagged by mother nature I feel it’s a great investment. RIP Jim.

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

My wife isn’t much for watching fishing shows but even she made a comment about the thickness of the ice during filming and all the gear and body weight concentrated in such a small place as we viewed the program.

Terrible loss of life reguardless.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

not trying to take anything away from the tragedy on lake Superior but did anyone see the show this weekend and instantly question the ice thickness?

First thing I said when I watched that was “I don’t think I would be driving my ATV on that ice”. Figured it had to be thicker than it looked on TV.

skeeterbite
    illinois

I said the same thing to my wife, the ice looked maybe 4″ thick. I would been nervous just standing on it , but with a atv no way. Its a shame we lost a life doing what he loved

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Complacency when it comes to driving my truck on the ice will never be an issue.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

In one clip it looked like Pete Maina was standing on about an inch of ice. If I remember correctly, it was the second fish he caught. Hard to say what the thickness was for sure, but it definitely looked like very little.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

In one clip it looked like Pete Maina was standing on about an inch of ice. If I remember correctly, it was the second fish he caught. Hard to say what the thickness was for sure, but it definitely looked like very little.

I saw that also. Made me wonder if he had chipped out the bottom of the hole to help funnel fish up.
    But then I thought, how often have I ever had to funnel out the bottom of an ice hole when there was less than 6″ of ice to begin with.

BBKK
    IA

I saw it. It scared me. I would never had been out there walking, let alone with an ATV.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Jeff, I wasn’t referring to you at all!
    I meant to say that I see a lot of assumptions made by people (around here) taking their trucks on the ice without knowing what the actual conditions are. A few of the lakes that had patches of open water at the beginning of the cold snap are not at 14″ like the rest of the lake

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

Jeff, I wasn’t referring to you at all!
    I meant to say that I see a lot of assumptions made by people (around here) taking their trucks on the ice without knowing what the actual conditions are. A few of the lakes that had patches of open water at the beginning of the cold snap are not at 14″ like the rest of the lake

I see your view now Randy, my Monday morn coffee must not have taken hold yet And I was wondering what Maina was standing on, that looked scary thin!

ozzyky
    On water

Quote:

wife, the ice looked maybe 4″ thick.

He had a show that aired about a month ago when fishing in northern MN. He had the wheeler out there and drove up to someone bringing in a fish. He said folks we have a good 3-4 inches of ice out here. I had to rewind the DVR just to make sure I hard it righ. Seems nuts to me.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Hey Jeff, kinda like walking across Jack Oak…pucker factor for sure!

kennyd

i was thinking the same thing.that ice looked super scetchy!!!…i never liked his show!! all he does is yell, run around, and rely on great guides (like Jim Hudson R.I.P.) to catch fish….

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

Hey Jeff, kinda like walking across Jack Oak…pucker factor for sure!

never walked it,canoed it a few times tho and that was scary enuff

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

i was thinking the same thing.that ice looked super scetchy!!!…i never liked his show!! all he does is yell, run around, and rely on great guides (like Jim Hudson R.I.P.) to catch fish….

Now that he has a bad ticker we’ll probably never see him off that ATV. Complete moron and turning into one of the biggest slob fisherman on tv

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Only reason I watch is that it is primarily WI waters I can fish, AND new shows each week. Now that another well known show is producing new episodes weekly, I just need him to come show me how to catch walleye ALL YEAR LONG in pool 5a. Now that would be a show!

castle-rock-clown

Quote:

Quote:

Now that he has a bad ticker we’ll probably never see him off that ATV. Complete moron and turning into one of the biggest slob fisherman on tv

I’ve got a bad ticker and an atv…guess I know where I stand with you young, healthy guys.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I see this weeks “The Next Bite” show is with Jim also. should air tomorrow starting tomorrow and then a few more times this week.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Complete moron and turning into one of the biggest slob fisherman on tv

I respectfully disagree my friend.
    I’ve been watching John for many years now,
    Can he get loud and crazy?
    ….no doubt, even I have to shake my head sometimes,but his reputation as a real nice guy is well known,
    Does he rely on his guides…yes,but most of them are good,
    But I’ll say one thing…the man IS a fisherman…and a hard worker too,
    He is out 51 weeks a year in any weather,he edits his own show,week after week..
    Plus…he shows the bites and what is working in real time,
    Don’t judge the man too harshly is all I’m say’in bud.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

If you’ve ever met John in person, you would come to find that he really is a nice guy. Very passionate about what he does. I don’t like listening to most of his show, but he is a good guy.

castle-rock-clown

Quote:

If you’ve ever met John in person, you would come to find that he really is a nice guy. Very passionate about what he does. I don’t like listening to most of his show, but he is a good guy.

you could turn the volume off and play some Peruvian pan-flute music…very relaxing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Couldn’t agree with you more John. His shows fall more into the class of fishing and entertainment in my book. Everyone hates it when he says “get the FRABILL”, you know it’s coming and I always giggle when I hear it.

I’ve only spent a few hours with John, but he sure seems like a good guy.

After saying all of that, I’m sure his show isn’t every ones cup of tea.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

No way! The kids look forward to the Slob-O-Saurus scream! Sort of like watching Batman back in the day and looking for the “BIFF” (“BIF” just wasn’t the same…)

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I also disagree with Jeff, he continues to lead the life we all wish we could lead. He is passonate about the outdoors, and has a ton of followers and sponsors. Bad ticker and riding an atv where ever he can is not in my book a slob. I like the weekly new shows.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.