Gillespie……….

• jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I think many of these shows on TV are guide related, so I don’t hold that against him.

My wife and daughter will leave the room when I turn his show on, its a perfect way to have quiet Saturday morning coffee for me.

Thank you John… get the Frabil

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

Now that he has a bad ticker we’ll probably never see him off that ATV. Complete moron and turning into one of the biggest slob fisherman on tv

Too many Johnsonville’s will do that to a fella.

BBKK
    IA

Gillepsie is a heck of a nice guy… but as soon as you turn on a camera he turns into an annoying, yelling, advertisement. Every fish caught is just a reason to push frabill, the zip lure, or whoever else he has sponsoring him that week.

That is why I like the IDO shows, yes they explain how to use the Marcum and Strikemaster augers and say how warm the Otter shanty is.. but you don’t hear James screaming over to the other host “Move the brand new Marcum LX-9, I got a big walleye on the Custom Jigs and Spins Slender Spoon and Tuned Up Custom Rod!!!”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve heard James screaming, but it’s always been over the phone… at me.

Two very different shows. I can say with all certainty I’ve learned more about fishing from the Ido shows then any other I’ve watched.

But then has anyone else aired a draggin jig video?

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

No BK, but on Youtube I may have seen a dragon do the jig…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Tight lines boys! Tight lines!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

I’ve heard James screaming, but it’s always been over the phone… at me.

Two very different shows.

Now there’s entertainment worth watching

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I find it funny that the people that can’t stand John tune in to watch it every week. R.I.P. Jim Hudson.

FishinPaul
    Eau Claire, WI

I like the show,John does get a bit over excited but that is him…I turn the volume down on the tv too. He has a very nice tribute to Jim on his web site,check it out…

kennyd

ok maybe i was a bit harsh!! haha…i watch the show if i stumble across it because like someone else said he fishes wisconsin as do i….I just wish there were more shows where they did teach you something new that were not a comedy show…and yeah, probably a bit jealous that i dont get to fish with all of these awwesome guides 52 weeks a year!! haha…have nothing against the guy personally!! the show just isnt my cup of tea so to say! haha

mar-80
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Gillepsie is a heck of a nice guy… but as soon as you turn on a camera he turns into an annoying, yelling, advertisement. Every fish caught is just a reason to push frabill, the zip lure, or whoever else he has sponsoring him that week.

That is why I like the IDO shows, yes they explain how to use the Marcum and Strikemaster augers and say how warm the Otter shanty is.. but you don’t hear James screaming over to the other host “Move the brand new Marcum LX-9, I got a big walleye on the Custom Jigs and Spins Slender Spoon and Tuned Up Custom Rod!!!”

right on

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Gillespies airing of the Superior show just rubbed me the wrong way. Imo it was wreckless to be driving on that sheet and they were lucky to stay dry. I’m sure he’s a great guy off camera but the fact remains that his followers, young and old, learn from and mimic his moves. In this case one of the lessons was how to drive on very thin ice. Did not mean to offend anyone, especially ATV drivers. Someday I hope to own one but if I do you can bet I won’t be driving up on your blind side going mach 1 screaming, “Slobosaurus”!!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

No offense to any one’s opinion here, but this is my take on it:

John only fishes the hottest bite he can find based on his networking with all of those guides… He was on safe ice in that area because Jim took him there, no other reason. If that ice had not been safe either they would have been in the bay or in another location.

As for Jim’s accident, we’ll know more once the sheriff department concludes its investigation… I don’t know what put Jim in that place as he was aware of its inconsistency, but in my heart of hearts, I believe that Jim was knocked unconscious and that was the beginning of his demise…

RIP Jim Hudson.

Mark

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

He was on safe ice in that area because Jim took him there, no other reason. If that ice had not been safe either they would have been in the bay or in another location.

I taped several fishing shows and watch them later when I have a chance.

Last night, I watched the airing of this show for the 2nd time.

At one point, when Pete Mania was reeling in a nice trout, the tail of the fish was sticking top side, out of the water, and the fish was still in pretty much a horizontal position.

Watch again for yourself, and make your own decision on whether or not that ice was safe.

timmy

Quote:

He was on safe ice in that area because Jim took him there, no other reason.

Mark

To be fair – Saturdays tragic event proves this statement to be false.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The two guys in that house looked to be on some very thing ice. At one point they open the house and they are standing in a puddle of water. Not sure if that was from their weight and the house or the heater melting the ice. Started to cringe as more guys came over by them and finely a 4 wheeler pulls up.

Got to wonder with as clear as that ice was if it wasnt a little miss leading as to how thick it was from the camera view. 3 to 4″s or clear ice I would have no problem going out on. Now with a sled or 4wheeler Im not so sure.

jar jar
    superior wi

I was was on he bay that day in a different area and where we were there was 6 inches of solid ice and it was crystal clear . my wife made a comment that it looked like we were sitting on open water because you could barely see the holes because of how clear it was, With that said I heard the area they were fishing had 10″ of solid ice and Jim had left to scout another area . Knowning Jim he would not bring sleds or 4 wheelers to an area out there with 4″ of ice . so please dont assume things if you were not there to see it yourself RIP JIM

BBKK
    IA

I’m sorry, but there is no way that show was filmed on 10″ of ice.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What’s the point of argueing about this? Its up to each individual to make the decision whether or not to go on the ice. None of us want this dictated to us. Its our right to decide for ourselves.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Judge for yourself how much ice there was.

Lake Superior Ice Fishing

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Hit the square corners button to see it full screen.

BBKK
    IA

Here you go. If this is 10″ then I fished on 4 feet the other day.

jar jar
    superior wi

I’m sorry, I wasnt refering to the show having 10″ I was refering to last saturday… sorry for the confusion, i did not see the show but my guess is that there is closer to 6″ in that picture , looks similar to what we had where we were last saturday

John

chomps
    Sioux City IA

looks safe to me, I will ask Rusty “the Swedish meatball” anyways, will be seeing him in a couple weeks.

chirp
    Rochester

All I have to say is we lost a great guy. RIP Jim. No matter what the ice conditions were.

Viewing 24 posts - 31 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.