Brainerd Ice Fishing Extravaganza

• johnnyg105
    Hugo, MN

I know it’s a bit early as the Brainerd Ice Fishing Extravaganza isn’t until January 19th but does anyone plan on fishing it or have you fished it in the past. I’m getting a group of guys together from work and we plan on fishing it this year. It looks crazy

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

a few of us from western iowa are gonna hit it this year

nug
    central iowa

Been there done that…a couple years ago. Being from Iowa also, it was an amazing sight to see. Not something I would want to do every year, but wow…what a time we had.

dougloew64

Everybody should do it at least once in their lives. Fun, incredibly well run event and for a very good cause. Im 0-7 on catching a fish, but I just know this is the year.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Quote:

I know it’s a bit early as the Brainerd Ice Fishing Extravaganza isn’t until January 19th but does anyone plan on fishing it or have you fished it in the past. I’m getting a group of guys together from work and we plan on fishing it this year. It looks crazy

Iv’e always wondered what the fish think when like 10,000 holes are drilled and then like 10,000 lines with lures are hanging down in the water?

Like a curtain of mono and baits that they have never experienced before?

Must look crazy to fish!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’m 0-6 and it’s an annual event since one of my friends moved to Brainerd. Haven’t talked about it with my buddies for a whole three hours now. We look forward to it and the other people we’ve met over the years.

I highly recommend it, if nothing else just for the experience. Some people take it very serious trying for the truck. Then there’s, well some of us who do try to catch a fish but are more interested in the social aspects.

Dress warm, get your tickets ahead of time to save money, and get out on the ice early!

johnnyg105
    Hugo, MN

It sure would be nice if the IDO sweatshirts were available by Jan 19th so we can show our colors.

Knowing the guys I work with I’m sure we will have a fully stocked cold adult beverage cooler to share with fellow IDOers

Chode2235

Quote:

Is anyone willing to offer any tips or ideas on what to take and not take to this contest. Looks like holes are drilled. Can on take a hand auger or is a chisel better suited? What kind of depth is being fished and what would be the main target of species being fished? Can a person bring a sled to pull gear out with? How much room do they give you to bring gear out on the shuttle bus? Lots more questions if anyone is willing to listen. This will be our first year going. Two adult guys and our 15 and 16 year old sons. Thanks .
    Shawn

You’re basically buying the hole. If you want to fish two lines, you’ll need to purchase 2 tickets. No need to bring anything except a rod/reel, your flasher (interference is crazy), some bait/lures, and something to sit on (no shelters or anything allowed).

I’ve seen guys go with a big cut minnow on a 1/2 oz jig going for broke, but most people are bobber fishing or jigging.

Take a look at their website, the tournament area covers some pretty interesting cover, its always a big debate on where to fish — but get there early or it gets decided for you.

Show up, and soak it in.

johnnyg105
    Hugo, MN

It says entering the fishing area is discouraged until the cannon sounds. Do you just line up like a marathon and when the cannon goes off it’s a free for all?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’ll try to answer a couple questions and feel free to PM me for more info. we’ve been doing this for a few years and courtesy of the retired parents we now have a place on Gull.

1. Get there long before the gun goes off at noon. Basically you stake out “your” spot but you can’t fish until the gun goes off.
    2. The holes are pre-drilled the day or so before. However it usually takes a spud to open them back up or some other kind of chipper. Bring your own or make a friend with someone who has one. The friend method is pretty common, most people are very cool, but not 100% dependable.
    3. Depth – The source of debate with my group every year. Good luck and let me know if you come up with the winning lottery ticket
    4. Room in the buses – most guys are using 5 gallon buckets. some are using sleds, but word of caution that we learned last year. My buddy’s Otter sled wouldn’t fit in the door of the bus and Plan B was in effect. Steal a kid’s plastic toboggan if you can. That works the best if you need a sled.
    5. What to take – less is more in my opinion but I’m a backpacker and rock climber in my other life. Bring a rod for each and maybe a spare or two. Of course extra clothes and maybe something to stand on if the boots don’t keep the feet warm. see above for chisel.
    6. I don’t know how tough it is to get lodging but it’s the only truly busy weekend in the winter.

Good luck out there boys

That’s a long winded response and I hope it helps.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

It sure would be nice if the IDO sweatshirts were available by Jan 19th so we can show our colors.

Knowing the guys I work with I’m sure we will have a fully stocked cold adult beverage cooler to share with fellow IDOers

If your fully stocked cooler happens to be next to a flag that looks suspiciously like my icon, holler out That’s where we’ll be. FYI – I use my first name on the site but everyone up there knows me as Keeley.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

If your fully stocked cooler happens to be next to a flag that looks suspiciously like my icon, holler out That’s where we’ll be. FYI – I use my first name on the site but everyone up there knows me as Keeley.

hope to meet you out there Keeley I look pretty darn close to my avatar, minus the beard and shaggy hair and facial blemishes

johnnyg105
    Hugo, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Nice we will be looking for you guys.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.