Eagles Stole Fish

• skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Couple weeks ago my dad told me if I get a fish put it in the truck cause the eagles were coming right up to the door of the house and taking the dead suckers….

Well my uncle decided to go out to our spear house last night and he no more then sat down and speared this fish. Put it outside of the house and a little while later he heard eagles. Didnt think much of it but after a while he figured he would check it out, only to find that they had came in and grabbed the fish and pulled it away 30yds and were tearing it apart.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Did he not think you knew what you guys were talking about? Lucky they only took it 30 yrds! Bet he listens next time!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Imagine the movie “Birds” with Eagles?

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Last year, there was a very well fed eagle who lived in the trees next to Monona Bay (a community hole near down town Madison) all winter. More than once I saw him pluck peoples gills off the ice. So, if you lose a fish or two to an eagle, does that count towards your daily limit?

FishinPaul
    Eau Claire, WI

Eagles gotta eat too !!! Set up a camera next time,that would be a cool video!

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Quote:

So, if you lose a fish or two to an eagle, does that count towards your daily limit?

Good question! But I think it counts for the eagles possession

capn’crappie
    Wisconsin

I think this is a bit more common than people think. The local lake that i fish has a pair of eagles that have stolen fish for the past 5-6 years. Leaving fish next to the productive holes and hole hopping is a big no-no! I have even tried to cover up the fish with slush to kind of hide them and that doesn’t work either.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Another pic he sent me. Not the best as it was taken with his phone.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I fed one a muskrat that “got shot” and all of a sudden there were 3 of them fighting over it on the ice. Total horror show.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I too have had that happen. I thought it was kind of cool, so I kept throwing them out just to watch the show. It was the same day that a muskrat came up through my hole and scared the **** out of me. I think it scared him some too.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Just look at the feeding going on down stream on pool 4 when guys are releasing the small saugers caught in deep water below the dam. As has been said before, I don’t think most of the guys even realize many of those fish float back up a couple hundred yards away.

I was crappie fishing once, swung a small one in and screamed like a little girl when this shadow came at me from the side. Scared the heck out of me to say the least.

It was a great horned owl. I was in a small bay with tall trees all around. I bad hooked two after that and tossed them out and again it would drop from a safe vantage point and pluck them off the water. It followed me around the bay for a bout an hour…. way cool, and you could tell this wasn’t the first time he had been fed. Probably wrong to feed him, but it was just so cool.

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

Last winter in Land O Lakes I was leaving perch by the holes they were caught in….moving around a lot when an eagle came down and started stealing perch! I was afraid to charge the bird..they look pretty fearsome up close!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Quote:

So, if you lose a fish or two to an eagle, does that count towards your daily limit?

Good question! But I think it counts for the eagles possession

The answer would be yes. I know it counts to your limit of ducks when an Eagle takes one of your downed birds.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I have a friend who has a small pond on his property and we netted some carp and threw them in there as it was very shallow and figured that was all that could survive in there and would help keep the weeds down. As mentioned it was shallow and eagles set up around the pond and the carp did not last long. There were some pretty big ones too but no match for the eagles.

blufloyd

Blue heron at a place I fish will position itself between you and shore if your catching. Only if you let him. He knows no hand outs from me now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.