• doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Star Trib

No cars, trucks or SUV’s on any lakes in Hennepin County

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

WHEW!

I thought you guys were going to have to have warm capt cokes.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

OMG, what next from the nanny state.

scottie56005

Illegal to block or restrict public accesses in Minnesota. Just a fyi on this one. I know the news readers never look into the “news” but that doesn’t mean we can’t.

Edit: I think I am reading this right but maybe someone else can share their thoughts.https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=6218&view=chapter

blackbay

Municipalities can still enact surface use ordinances. For example Minneapolis has motor restriction during open water and they don’t allow vehicles on in the winter.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Just for everyone safety.

You can still fish, walk on, snowmobile, ATV, etc.

Just No Cars, Trucks, SUV’s.

Yes, the SHERIFF has this Authority

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

WHEW!

I thought you guys were going to have to have warm capt cokes.

You do what ya gotta do, if you know what I mean.

Brian, getting a little restless are ya?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Blame whoever you want, but it is the unusual amount of boneheads who put their vehicles through the ice who are to blame. At some point the authorities have to step in and do something.

josh a

i’m not sure why people would be upset with this ban…most of us with common sense wouldn’t be driving out on hennepin county lakes this week anyways.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

i’m not sure why people would be upset with this ban…most of us with common sense wouldn’t be driving out on hennepin county lakes this week anyways.

I make it policy to never agree with Pug, so I’m glad that you posted Josh. LOL!

I agree, with the number of cars/trucks going it, the cost of removing them if the owner can’t pay AND the cost and safety of our men and women that have to risk their lives to pull these people or their bodies out of the waters…a ban is justified.

It keeps the people’s vehicles that can’t figure it out off the ice.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

Illegal to block or restrict public accesses in Minnesota. Just a fyi on this one. I know the news readers never look into the “news” but that doesn’t mean we can’t.

Edit: I think I am reading this right but maybe someone else can share their thoughts.

Don’t shoot the messenger. And yes, it is a Misdemeanor criminal offense if you violate…

86B.106 BARRING VEHICLES FROM UNSAFE ICE.
    (a) Whenever ice conditions on a body of water deteriorate to such an extent that there is substantial danger to persons using motorized vehicles, including snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles, the sheriff of the county where the body of water is located may prohibit or restrict the use of motorized vehicles on all or a portion of the body of water. If the body of water is located in more than one county, all counties involved must coordinate any prohibitions or restrictions that are imposed. A county sheriff acting under this section shall, as soon as practicable, post all common access sites and publicize the prohibitions or restrictions. The commissioner must be notified immediately and may review and suspend any restrictions imposed. Restrictions may be lifted as soon as conditions warrant.

(b) A person may not operate a motorized vehicle in violation of a prohibition or restriction imposed under this section.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.