Marcum Vs Vexilar

• TroyRozeske
    Burnsville MN

I’m sure there has been a post on here somewhere. If someone can point me to it, I would appreciate it. If not, What is the difference? Why is one better than the other? What makes the one that you like better, better?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What’s a Vexilar?

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Quote:

What’s a Vexilar?

C’mon BK…
    Like sands through the hour glass…
    Let the Soap Opera begin.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

This really is a Ford vs Chevy debate that can be argued around and around forever. For the record, I drive a Ford to work everyday and pull my boat to the lake with a GMC.

Both flashers work great. I bought a Marcum because of the adjustable zoom window. I fish suspended fish and I like the ability to move the zoom window anywhere I want in the water column.

taildancer

I used to be a Vexilar person. Wouldn’t trade for my Marcum now. Spend the money on the LX 5. Its also a very quiet machine.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

My dad has a Vexilar FL-8. I think he got it for about $280.00. It works well for the basic model. Gives you depth, you can see your jig all of the necessities. I bought a Marcum VX-1 Pro. It was $300.00 but you get things like bottom 5 feet zoom as well. I went with that model because I couldn’t spend $500.00 on the new marcums and for some one who fishes occasionally it meets my needs.

kvang
    MN

Marcum VS Vexilar…

Marcum (likes):

-Moveable zoom

-LCD display (LX-7)

-Target Adjust (LX-7)

-Best IR system

Vexilar(likes):

-Add on accessories (>>flex light<<)

-Fit inside a 5 gallon bucket (Ultra pack)

-Longer battery life – use less juice (just from experience, not proven)

These are key items that I have found or notices from both system.

(Note:

Marcum:

From owning a LX-5 and now a LX-7.

Vexilar:

Using an Fl-12 and FL-18 unit (did own any of these only used from family and friend)

blufloyd

In a mixed crowd blu often notices blue catching while red watches…

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

In a mixed crowd blu often notices blue catching while red watches…

Red watches red because there is so much more to see

One of my fishing buddies made the upgrade last weekend from an Fl-8 to a VX-3 and I can to you there definitely is a world of difference not only in the crispness but also the size of targets and brighter screen.

I have the lx-7 and have been very happy with it. The LX-7 litterally has taken the guess work out of picking the difference between bottom and a fish on the bottom. As a former Vex owner if I had to pick one and one only it would be a LX-7 or an LX-5, however the LX-7 just has to many features and can always be upgraded by a simple download

steuben1
    Indiana

When you get right down to it and take the pride out of it, I look at it from a “which unit is going to help me more”. Right now I have a FL-20 and have been a longtime fan. But if you are honest, how can you not look at the LX7? I am a very big Vexilar supporter, but the LX7 has some very nice features and has a flat screen now. I never like the other Marcum units because they did not have a flatscreen. I’m gonna wait for a few months and maybe make a change to a LX7. There are way too many new and exciting improvements that the LX7 has to turn a blind eye to it. Of course, thats just my honest opinion.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Good ol’ Vex v. Marcum question. I’m not Amish, but I do use Vexilar. I use Vexilar because I like Vexilar. I’ve never had an issue with Vexilar. I had a Marcum LX-3tc and the thing went out on me after 2 months. Wasn’t a fan. Not to say that Marcum’s customer service was bad, they were GREAT! But honestly, to be out a flasher in the middle of ice season was a little off pudding. I don’t have the money to have 3 flashers and when it came down to it, I don’t want to be out a flasher in the middle of ice season. Now, I may use the FL-22, but my great friend uses an LX-5, and to be honest, they will both help you catch fish. Either is better than none. Get one, and be happy.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I can only speak on the Marcum showdown which is perfect for me. If I had more disposable income I would love to have the LX-7 which also gives me the option of a top down finder…in color. But I generally chase panfish in smaller lakes in shallower water and I couldn’t be happier with the Showdown.

Vexilar does not have a top down flasher. I also get filtering from other flasher units nearby, 1/2″ target separation and bottom zoom. Perfect for what I am doing.

At $300 I get that target separation which proved handy last weekend. My brother was marking fish with his Vexilar. I ended up identifying the marks as bait fish.

Would I buy a Vexilar? Heck yeah, if the price was right for this cheap bastage.

My point? I have none as usual, I am just rambling again.

hank-s.
    Pardeeville, WI 53954

I have been resisting weighing in here but I can’t any longer. I have been the owner of an FL-18, LX-5, FL-22HD and of now the LX-7. Also VS825C and now the VS825SD. I have looked and played with every feature imaginable. Each had it’s functions and usages. Believe it or not, between the Vexilar’s, I liked the FL-18 better then the FL-22HD only in the fact that the size was smaller. As far as features, the adjustments seemed more friendly on the 18. Though you did get the 3 position cone angles on the 22 but found it to be unfriendly to have to reach under and switch a manual switch every time you wanted to change. The bottom zoom of 6’&10′ were nice on the FL-22 but not that big of a deal. I found that comparing the FL-18 to the LX-5 was easy and I loved the variable zoom range on the LX-5. It was easy to transition between either but my fondness grew for the Marcum hands down as I used it. I ended up with the FL-22HD for a short time after the LX-5, but only for a year before the LX-7 was announced. I was one of those pre-purchase people that knew there was something special about this new unit. I still have the FL-22 as an emergency unit for our group but I use the LX-7 and love it. Yes there are some issues like size and figuring the best way to move around and deal with the initial short comings of a new product, but those are becoming less and less. For me and all I have been through with these units, IMO I will put my trust and enjoyment in the Marcum brand. Everything has been easy to deal with; from the equipment to the customer service responses to questions and help. Do your own testing and reviews. You must have friends that own one or the other and try it for yourself. Most will not condemn you for what you want to use but the whole point is to enjoy ice fishing to its fullest. So have fun.

steuben1
    Indiana

I am glad that you got involved here! I would love to hear from other Vexilar owners who have gone over and tried the Marcum line. Its all about figuring out which unit helps the most! I am one that has NOT tried a Marcum unit because I don’t have access to one so I don’t feel comfortable making comments on which is best. For the price of the LX7 now at $569, I believe that will bring it into play for more people to afford it. Thing is, if Vexilar owners don’t comment on their experience with Marcum, how will we ever know the difference?? I sure can’t afford to run both right now and hearing a fair comparison saves me the time and money to try marcum. Just my opinion of course.
    Thanks for jumping on board and giving an honest review!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have owed 2 Vexilars FL-8 and FL-18 as well as the LX-5. To be truthfu I did not get the WOW factor when I switched from the FL-18 to the LX-5. I am not sure if i have not taken the time to totally figure out all the settings on the LX-5 or if my unit does not work correctly. I tend to get more interference on my Marcum from other units than I do on my Fl-18 – The moveable Zoom feathure on the Marcum is nice. I do want to take a close look at the LX-7 one of these days – If it as nice as some say it is I may end up selling one of my units and picking up a new Lx-7. Like other have said either unit will be much better than none.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I tend to get more interference on my Marcum from other units than I do on my Fl-18

It’s broken.

fygr8

My VX-1Pro does everything I need…….which happens to involve helping me put more fish on the ice without breaking the bank.

bbbnteam

My first flasher was an fl8 it worked well no complaints
    sold it for a humminbird ice 55 385ci combo that works great with a lake map chip verry usefull dout ill ever get rid of it……this yr I tryed the lx7 and it is awsome!!!also got the 825sd camera I have had zero trouble whith eather of them…..
    I would recomend marcum to anyone!

josh a

i have an old fl-8 and i love it. it doesn’t zoom in, or have an HD Lcd sreen or any of the bells and whistles of the newer more high end vexilars or marcums, but i can see fish and my jig down my hole just fine. My point- I’m sure the LX-7 is every bit as awesome as people are saying, and if i had money to burn i might get one, but i don’t think i’d catch any more fish than i do now because of it

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

My favorite still to this day is the old Lowrance greenbox. Next would have to be the ‘ole 66. No fancy colors, just a brighter or dimmer orange glow on the flasher…and loud!

I owned the SiTex and made a mistake when I sold it. Replaced it the next year with the “New” Vexilar FL-8 (funny that Vexilar said they didn’t buy out SiTex – but this unit had Sitex knobs on the gimbals and the vexilar logo on the unit???) That unit is still in operation for me, along with two FL-18’s. I prefer the FL8 over both my 18’s when fishing alone and away from anyone else with a locator.
    When it gets so critical that much better separation is needed for fish with their bellies on a soft bottom – like perch on a silt bottom in 50fow. I think the LX-5 begins to do a better job. Then the other features begin to shine if you utilize them.

I finally got the opportunity to check out the LX-7 this week on the ice. Well, on a pier next to a little bit of ice – lol. I had my 625 camera with, so I could see exactly what the signals were returning and how that was displayed. I was WOW’d. The tiniest of flicker shown on the screen on the bottom in 9.5fow was a 2″ to 3″ goby and slithering through the silt. It also shown the debri stirred up by hitting the camera head on the bottom. Very fine particles erupting in the water column looked like a huge ball of bait fish passing by on the LX-7. It was a very bright sunny day and I found myself adjusting my angle of view to see the screen better on both the cam and the lx7. I made the decision I want to upgrade for next year to the LX-7s. But for you, most importantly is getting out and seeing the unit you want in operation for the style of fishing you do. If you want/need the best in separation, I would look at the LX-5 or LX-7 pending your budget. The best part of the 7 in the long run is the ability to do software upgrades.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

I’m sure the LX-7 is every bit as awesome as people are saying, and if i had money to burn i might get one, but i don’t think i’d catch any more fish than i do now because of it

I agree. I own an FL-12 and it has been a great unit for me. I think marcum win’s hands down with features (target seperation, adjustable zoom) but when you boil it down i think these really only make a difference in maybe 2% of fishing situations. Someone mentioned fishing perch in 50 FOW, another situation may be trying to pick feeding fish out of balls of shad. I think one thing that Vexilar has in my opinion is that they are built like a tank. I look at it like a remington 870 shotgun, tried and true. Not alot of bells and whistles on it but it works exactly the way i expect it to every single time with zero issues. Extremely reliable. I have used marcum’s but not to the point where i can speak to their durability so I cannot speak for them but i can tell you when you buy a Vex you are getting a durable/reliable piece of equipment.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Joef, do you know if they ever got that transducer issue fixed? They must have by now or we would be hearing about it.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

Joef, do you know if they ever got that transducer issue fixed? They must have by now or we would be hearing about it.

lol good catch

The connector to the transducer got pinched and i sent the cable and transducer up to the vex headquarters and had it back in 3 or 4 days. I believe i was out of warrenty and they replaced the connect for free.

hnd

i started out with a vexilar and my fishing partner still uses one but is starting to lean towards getting a marcum. the difference when using mine vs his is completely obvious. my lines are crisper, my separation is better, and it seems to really shine better in shallow water and in weeds. getting rid of the float was nice too.

the pluses i miss with vexilar

– the base seems alot sturdier.

– the marcum ducer rest thing is one of the most awful designs in the world.

i havne’t had experience with the fl22 or lx5 though.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.