Warm Weather

• TroyRozeske
    Burnsville MN

With this warm weather the last couple of days, Would it keep you from driving on the lake, that you have already been driving on?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have not drove out on a lake yet this season – Not sure I will unless we get a long cold spell. I don’t think the last few warm days should change the overall Ice conditions at all.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I run a GMC 2500HD – NO WAY am I driving on the ice this year. At a GVW of nearly 9000 pounds, that would be suicide.

johnie1610
    Eau Claire, WI

Not here in WI we have around 14-16″ on most lakes and i dont belive you lose hardly any ice at 38 degrees. Try and thaw a turkey in your fridge at 45 to 50 degrees it takes forever plus add the below freezing temps at night the ice is going nowhere

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I didn’t catch that he was up by the cities. Down here in Southern WI, it’s a heat wave. About 50 degrees out and we’ve lost about 30-40% of our snow cover today – maybe more. Drainage creeks by me are filling up with run-off.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

hopefully its 70 tomorrow. Its never too soon to get the boat out.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Not myself here on ML, yet. I am ready to go after work out to the mud.
    However, the rest of the week does look warm. I had 16″ on the flats (where I was)…
    Hopefully the night temps will hold the ice conditions. South of here may be a different story?

washburn
    Aitkin Mn

I have a 2500hd crew shortbox duramax, with glass topper, tools, generator and over half tank and a bunch of other stuff in it weighed 7890 on a scale, I will still be on Mille with my 18′ ice castle in tow

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Quote:

Not here in WI we have around 14-16″ on most lakes and i dont belive you lose hardly any ice at 38 degrees. Try and thaw a turkey in your fridge at 45 to 50 degrees it takes forever plus add the below freezing temps at night the ice is going nowhere

Your turkey doesn’t have the ever increasing power of the sun shining on it either. Add in sun shining through water and ice can go very fast. I was on a pool 10 backwater last week near Prairie du Chien that only had 6 inches. There is no current in there either, that is all thicker it is this winter. Be careful.

clicker

anyone who has been driving on the ice this year in the south metro is

I know in many lakes i checked ice, some places it was 14, further away 12, back closer to the 14 it was only 10! The ice is never safe! And my legs work great to get to fishing spots while my vehicle stays safe at the launches!

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Most of our local smaller lakes here have had good ice for quite awhile–I drove on one Tuesday, no slush, no problem. But by yesterday in my after work scouting run I was finding severe slush conditions on several lakes. We’ve still got good ice, but getting on and off and around on them is starting to look pretty rough. Bad enough that I changed my game plan to include lakes I could walk onto and didn’t have to drag a sled very far. Be careful! Flowages are flowing with the added snowmelt running off…I think overall ice conditions are good, but I wouldn’t be telling anyone to just go for it without getting an accurate local and recent report!
    Watched a guy in his truck yesterday barreling along a lake in his truck throwing a rooster-tail yesterday…realized he had it hammered just to try and keep it moving through the slush. Saw lots of guys had pulled shacks while they could still get through it. It’s only early Feb., I’m sure it will firm up again but with the goofy winter we’ve had you never know.
    Anyways, be safe first!
    -Rev

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.