Mille Lacs evening walleyes

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Well I made a late game day decision to head to Mille Lacs yesterday afternoon, I figured with championship football on I would have some areas to myself to fish walleyes on shallower structure. I targeted a rock pile that had some deeper water close by which I hoped these fish were cruzing looking for a slender spoon meal.
    I set up with holes drilled from 24 feet up to 18 feet at about 4 pm, at 430 my first of 4 walleyes came in and smoked the 1/8th gold/green slender spoon. After a quick photo this 23″ I am guessing was released. As I moved shallower into the 18 foot mark I agressively jigged the slender spoon up 4-5 foot just to call these fish in. Well it didn’t take long as this 27″ inhaled the spoon, I called it a night after this fish, made a great afternoon of fun on a short trip notice.

Sorry about the fuzzy picture, IDOer Charles Schmidtbauer came over to help me land this fish and photo.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Awesome. You passed on the football game to catch fish, always a good decision! Congrats Cal, if anyone could put together a dynamite Mille Lacs bite on short notice it’s you!

Joel

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Yup, they certainly are there. All it takes is a little ambition and mobility. Good job.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Nice work Cal!
    I’d take a couple dandy Eyes over a football game anytime!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Yup, they certainly are there. All it takes is a little ambition and mobility. Good job.

Great to finally meet you yesterday. Perch picked up a bit as you were leaving also in that shallower water.

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/ SJU

as a picture taking freak i wish i woulda had my camera with me when i walked over Cal…..hahaha also had a video camera in the car… could have been another “on ice vid” for the archives…that was a beauty of a fish and she was fat….
    nice to finally put a name to the face…..
    later
    Charles

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/ SJU

mark……
    we ended up doing ok when u pulled otta there……nothing spectacular but enough for a meal……my grand ol take ended up being six keepers……poor poor performance on this guys part…….but there is always next weekend
    Charles

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

You have to love the slender spoons. Nice fish Calvin

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

mark……
    we ended up doing ok when u pulled otta there……nothing spectacular but enough for a meal……my grand ol take ended up being six keepers……poor poor performance on this guys part…….but there is always next weekend
    Charles

I know Trav is coming. If ya want a place to crash I have one for ya too.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

as a picture taking freak i wish i woulda had my camera with me when i walked over Cal…..hahaha also had a video camera in the car… could have been another “on ice vid” for the archives…that was a beauty of a fish and she was fat….
    nice to finally put a name to the face…..
    later
    Charles

video cam was in the truck, but the light level was too low..maybe next time these big girls will bite at noon when the light is good.

crappykilla86
    Prior Lake, MN

Nice work Cal! Mark-Charles—I’ll be up all weekend in a sleeper out of KJ’s. I doubt I’ll spend much time in the sleeper though, hate not being mobile… and this will be the first trip to Mille Lacs on ice- Give me a ring!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.