Marcum Question

• Alex W
    Bangor, WI

I am uber new to flashers, and looking to buy one here pretty soon, I see the VX1-Pro has bottom lock zoom, which I also read locks on the bottom 6′. So what if I am fishing in less than 6′ maybe 3’… will it show me a closer view? Am I just better off with the LX-3tc with adjustable zoom? I don’t really want to spend over $300 and have found some good deals on the VX1 online, however I fish a lot of shallower stuff and if I would be happier with the LX-3tc I might just have to go ahead and drop the extra cash. Thanks in advance guys.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Alex, Some people are probably different then I, but I really don’t use the adjustable zoom very much anyway. I could see it being huge when fishing suspended fish like say Lakers in extremely deep water, but in our area where we typically fish 20 fow or less, you don’t really need to use the zoom, and when you do its usually for tight lipped bottom huggers. I’d say you would be very happy with the VX-1 pro, as you would with the LX-3tc, but like I said I just think you’ll find that you won’t use the adjustable zoom very often.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not as big into ice fishing as I was but here’s an Ice Fishing Truth…

Get the best flasher you can afford (comfortably).

I started with an FL-8, after a year went to the 3tc and upgraded to a 5 two years later.

They hold their value remarkably well and they sell easily in our classifieds.

As far as the zoom in 6 fee or less of water, I really can’t answer that, but in that shallow of water I don’t know why a zoom would be needed.

I will add the adjustable zoom in 15 or more feet of water is the “cats meow” as cats along with gills and crappies like to suspend.

Good luck with your purchase and let us know which way you went.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I can tell you that my vex will not show a closer view. It simply raises the bottom up to 3 ft.

I’m not sure how useful a flasher will be in less than about 6′ of water anyway. Your cone diameter might be less than a foot at that depth. So a fish would have to be awfully close to your lure to see the fish anyway.

Do you happen to own an underwater camera? If you want something for really shallow water, that might be the ticket…

milemark_714

If you plan on fishing lakes like Mendota,the adjustable zoom is worth it.Nothing like finding those suspending perch,usually they are good size.It may even show the difference between perch or white bass.

sandmannd

There’s no need to use the zoom in under 10 FOW. Once I go deeper I set the adjustable zoom where the fish are in the column and read the right side to see the entire column so I know if the fish are moving. I live by the zoom and love it.

I’m with Brian, get the best you can. The LX-1 is a very good flasher but if you can step up to the 3 or 5 you will be a lot happier. I’ve seen used 5’s for around $400 here and craigslist.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Alex,

If your planning on going out on the ice someplace this weekend, give me a call and I will let you take out my LX-5.. it has the same options as the LX-3 and i will show you how the Zoom feature works so well in shallow water…

That way you can decide for yourself !!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Best answer yet!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Very good answers but Koonce has given you the best choice

I use the adjustable zoom for many reasons when fishing suspended fish or bottom dwellers. It is not just a deep water feature if you were to ask me.
    It narrows down target separation and, when fishing in schooling shad or other bait fish you can also get rid of a lot of cluster you don’t care about by watching just a portion of the water column.

As for the VX1, it is a sweet machine and offers options in that price range that others don’t. If you go that route I’m sure you will be happy with that flasher.
    I wish you well with your purchase

ntw
    Eastern MT

To the OP:

I have done a lot of walleye fishing in 2-3 fow with the vx-1 that I had (upgraded to a 5) and always used the zoom. It does show you “a closer view” and I found the zoom to be critical in this shallow of water. After using both the VX-1 and the FL-8 in shallow water I cannot believe that the FL-8 sells. It is only possible to the sensitivity down so far on this unit, and it is not enough for shallow water applications. The other fun part about fishing this shallow was if you mark a fish, hold on cuz it’s going to hit! I almost always use zoom when fishing, no matter the depth or species of fish I am fishing for. I think you would be happy with the vx-1; I think the LX-3 is the best value on the market; but a person that takes their icefishing very seriously will only be happy with an LX-5 or now the 7.

Good luck with your choice!

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

Quote:

Alex,

If your planning on going out on the ice someplace this weekend, give me a call and I will let you take out my LX-5.. it has the same options as the LX-3 and i will show you how the Zoom feature works so well in shallow water…

That way you can decide for yourself !!

That would be sweet actually. I actually might get out tomorrow morning here in town… been catching a pile of perch

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.