Ice out predictions for 2019?

• BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

For those with experience, based on the season we’ve had, what’s your guess on iceout this year?

I know last year was pretty close to opener, I was up the weekend before Memorial Day weekend and things hadn’t turned on yet, at least not on the NE end in Norwegian and Black Bay. Crappies hadn’t even moved I yet.

Trying to plan a trip again and hoping to pick a better window.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

In my experience, it is just really, really hard to tell this early. We moved our trip back a week last year and the opener was pretty good. The fish will spawn under the ice, I don’t think this year had the really cold cold of some other years, so how warm the next few weeks are will really make a difference. If I had to guess, I would say first 5 days in May.

We are going 5/15-5/18 and staying at Shamrock near Fectos Point.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

What water temperature are these fish spawning at under the ice? Northern pike?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

What water temperature are these fish spawning at under the ice? Northern pike?

We we’re on Kab. for the opener week last year, ice out was on the 9th, season opened on the 12th and we had mid/upper 40’s whenever the wind moved the water around some (some bays were in the 50’s. Walleye were all post spawn but every pike we caught was spewing eggs all over the boat. Actually watched two pike ‘doing the dance’ just under our dock. Found that odd as pike a typically before walleyes, maybe low water had something to do with it.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I couldnt see Big Bay for the official ice out call, but it looks like we will be in good shape for a traditional opener!!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

No doubt Vermilion will be ice free. Yesterday both Rainy & Kabetogama were pulled away from shore.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.