Ice is never safe, but really a semi full of rocks!

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Dumb as a truckload of rocks.

MNdrifter

That’s ridiculous. I’m really interested in why rocks were being hauled either too or from Flag island.

Angler II

Dumb as a truckload of rocks.

Semis and tanker trucks drive on ice all the time?

What’s the big deal?

Ripjiggen

That’s ridiculous. I’m really interested in why rocks were being hauled either too or from Flag island.

Probably for shore line.
    They do it all the time on lake Winnipeg to try and keep the shore from eroding. They have an accident a handful of times.
    Or maybe google maps had the directions wrong. lol

Michael Best

Lots of semis roll over ice every year farther up north.
    There is bound to be some going through.

blackbay
    mn

I’ve seen it a bunch of times on border lakes and usually this time of year. Mostly they were hauling rocks for dock cribs.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

This is near a friend’s cabin they already have the tractor out using a excavator

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2021-03-02-20-58-07.png

deertracker

See skid steers frequently in the spring hauling rocks to stage for rip rap on people’s shorelines. Maybe for that?
    DT

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Closed border probably had something to do with that…

-J.

Ripjiggen

This is near a friend’s cabin they already have the tractor out using a excavator

Probably a nice new little rock pile what are the coordinates?

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Ripjiggin that’s what I said

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Closed border probably had something to do with that…

i’d bet that truck was able to cross the border since it’s commercial activity and not tourism/leisure. and the sides of the truck are covered with the mud that anyone’s familiar with who’s ever driven on that damn dirt road into the Angle through Manitoba…

the truck owner’s statement last night after it got freed was interesting: basically a shrug and saying that if you drive on the ice long enough this stuff will happen.

this pic is from a resort on Oak Island, right next to Flag Island. it gives an idea of what they use all that rock for up there.

Attachments:
    1. oakisland.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s not really anything different for a semi to drive on the ice. Seen it many times with my own eyes.
    Just happened to hit a soft spot. That excavator next to him is what’s impressive

matt

Have seen a dump truck and excavator on Red in front of the Tamarack dredging out the channell late winter before.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’ve seen an excavator and what looked like skidders pulling wagons dredging in front of Westwind on Red Lake in open water a few years ago.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I was just going to say the same thing Jon. I saw them out there yesterday on the webcam.

shefland
    Walker

my guess is somebody is having a breakwater built, but wonder if they came up the gravel rd, or the new ice road?

brueggemanate
    NW Iowa

Even in northwest Iowa I’ve heard of them doing that to protect shoreline structures and islands. More so straight trucks but still hauling rocks on the ice. Easier than a boat

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.