Ice Fishing at Night

• Ryan Lommen
    Twin Cities

What species do you have the best luck with after the sun goes down and where do you locate them? Since I don’t get off work until dark I’m curious to see what I should and shouldn’t be going for!

Tyler Schaefer
    Southern Minnesota

Crappies mostly, We use buckshot spoons and northland forage minnow spoons, we also use jiging raps, with black light shine. Tip lures with minnows or waxworms

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Walleye and crappie get my attention after the sun goes down.

Ryan Lommen
    Twin Cities

Any certain location other than where they would be during the day?

Darrin meyer

Ryan. I find that it depends on the lake. Like daytime. Drill n search. Find em and your in. Example: i fish crappes in 35 fow on a lake day and night. Another i fish i get them along weed edge in16 fow towards evening

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Any certain location other than where they would be during the day?

I’m not saying you won’t catch walleye or crappie at night in the same locations you find them during the day but both species will often move shallower to feed once the sun goes down.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Eelpout, but not on purpose ) Nothing like a crappie bite after hours )

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Going to depend on the time of the year again, even during the ice season… Right now, if ya can get a buddy to go and punch some extra holes before dark for ya, so you can maintain quiet ice on your arrival, that would be ideal. If you are getting there past 6 p.m. right now on most of the lakes we fish, you could pretty much go where ever and do what you want to drill and be ready for the next feeding window which of us occurs 9-ish to midnight…

Later in the year, fishing deeper humps, probably not a problem…

Mark

Gary buxton

Walleye on tips ups best at night! Good Luck!

schoff
    S.E., SD

Walleyes after dark on a weed line is my favorite.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.