browns and more

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

With the streams as low as they are my partner and I decided to try fishing for trout a long ways downstream from designated trout water. We started out fishing the deeper pools with little success but found fish in the riffles feeding the pools. Most fish came where the real shallow part of the riffle started to drop off into deeper water. As we continued fishing it seemed every riffle would hold at least one trout in sharp contrast to the designated “trout water” farther upstream. All trout caught were between 10 and 16 inches long.It was a little disapointing that we couldn’t find a couple of bull browns in the bigger water we were fishing. Below is a picture of a typical fish we caught this day.

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Later that day I tried the designated trout water. I caught alot of small brook trout and one brown trout in that stretch. I was looking to catch a big rainbow but the following angler beat me to it. Congrats Steve Vance on a very nice fish, the picture taker could have done a little better job though.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I think the picture looks great !! What were you guys using on these waters for lures ?

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

I caught most of my fish on a Silver Super Bow spinner. My partner used Panther Martins and Rooster Tails and although he caught fish too he was also snagged alot more. It seems when your casting the rapids the Super Bow seems to slide over the rocks alot better instead of getting hung up on them. I hate to say it but the big rainbow was caught by a fly fisherman using a woolybugger.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.